SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-27 18:04:04

bobobex
The Better Half

Keeping Corenominal grounded

I'm Becky, his fiancee and I hear you ask "How do you do it?"

My answer is by supporting him wholeheartedly in his ventures with spreading the Open Source message and at the same time reminding him that not everyone (me!) knows what he's talking about sometimes!

Philip has only recently converted me to Open Source applications and distro's - I was a dedicated Windows user when we first met. I'd never even heard of Open Source.  Happily I'm now tinkering around with some applications at home, whilst limiting my Windows use to when I'm at work. All my questions (most of them really stupid, probably) about the various packages/applications etc certainly test his patience when explaining them to me in words of one syllable.  This is how I keep his feet on the ground smile

I'm immensely proud of what Philip has achieved with his CrunchBang distro and like to think that I'm the "good woman" that supports his creative genius big_smile

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2008-11-27 19:31:32

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Keeping Corenominal grounded

hi Becky, it's great to hear that Philip has so much support for his endeavours. My wife is a recent convert to Open Source as well so I know where you are coming from.

Anway, just wanted to say hi smile I'm liking CrunchBang more and more each day and this close personal interaction of the 'support' team just makes it better smile

Grant

#3 2008-11-27 20:22:16

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
Website

You have my deepest sympathy.... wink

Last edited by fabsh (2008-11-27 20:22:29)

#4 2008-11-27 20:33:46

bobobex
The Better Half

fabsh wrote:

You have my deepest sympathy.... wink

In what respect?  Marrying him or something else wink

Last edited by bobobex (2008-11-27 20:34:15)

twitter

#! forum moderator

#5 2008-11-27 20:38:58

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
Website

Being married too a geek. I know we can be taxing sometimes.... wink

#6 2008-11-27 21:52:52

bobobex
The Better Half

I can't wait to marry my "geek" - it's what attracted me to him in the first place.  His passion for what he does, for no gain, is humbling.

P.S. When I can't sleep at night, I just get him to start explaining about how Terminals, partitions etc work and you can guarantee I'm asleep within minutes tongue

twitter

#! forum moderator

#7 2008-11-27 21:58:32

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Trouble'n'strife wrote:

P.S. When I can't sleep at night, I just get him to start explaining about how Terminals, partitions etc work and you can guarantee I'm asleep within minutes tongue

LOL, you are funny! NOT.

big_smile

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#8 2008-11-27 22:49:59

arpbook
The Mac Magician
Website

hi becky,
nice to meet you.. smile
... and everybody knows that there is always a "good woman" behind a genius man wink
thank's for support and patience...
ps: my girlfriend had lot of fun with your post lol

arpbook is dead - arpinux is born, and became a deviant.

#9 2008-11-28 00:18:23

xerf

Corenominal is fortunate to have a partner who can appreciate such a project.

Some say, "There are too many Linux distros. Why do we need another one?"

My answer is, it's an art and science to combine many elements into a unity, one that attracts a worldwide community. (Rhyme incidental.)

I think Crunchbang is on target to achieve this.

Best wishes from Washington DC, where we will soon be under new management. We hope to see a change in "operating system" as well.

#10 2008-12-04 01:01:16

hilltop_yodeler
Website

Way to go Becky! 

Oh, reading this thread has sure put a smile on my face.  Last summer, my wife agreed to allow me to convert her machine over to Ubuntu.  She has enough troubles with using Windows (she's somewhat technology-phobic and is one of those people who just expect things to just "work" magically...), although Windows is what she hast to use in school, so it is what she is more accustomed to.  However, I told here that I was tired of supporting Windows... tired of virus definitions updates... tired of fixing her Windows issues. 

She traveled abroad for a month last June and upon her return found a nice shiny new Ubuntu OS waiting for her in her studio.  Although she tends to ask the same sort of questions as she did when she was using Windows ( over and over again too.... roll ), she seems to be pretty comfortable with her Ubuntu system.  I'd like to say that she feels more empowered as a computer user, but I'd have to say that the opposite is probably more of the case, due to her lack of understanding of why a .odt file is not compatible with MS Word when she tries to open her documents at school -- it's hard to tell her that it's due to user error and that it's not the machine's fault (hmm, perhaps I should just play it smart and blame it on MS for not supporting ODF.  Ha!).  Alas, she is learning, and I am happy for that.

Through the course of observing her, I am learning that some people really don't care about how it looks/feels/acts, or where it came from.  They just want for their computer to do the job, do it right, and not cause any trouble.  That's my wife.  Although I know that she appreciates the idea behind open source software, I think that the real reason why she allowed me to set her up with Ubuntu is because it would make me feel better.  Ha!  And I do.  big_smile

Oh well, even though she is a technophobe, I still love her.

Good luck to you in your exploration of the vast world of computing -- which has recently become open to you!

-Darrin

Last edited by hilltop_yodeler (2008-12-04 01:03:36)

Board footer