SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-19 11:07:45

Zoidberg

What about adding a sandbox?

I currently use firejail to launch skype on my Xubuntu, because all other sandboxing methods seem too complicated (or poorly explained on the Internet). But if there was an out of the box sandbox configured with a little tutorial and examples it would be great.
I have BL RC1 installed but it awaits to be configured yet. Planning to migrate soon for good. Unfortunatelly I will need to install skype for text messages. Well, I could use the online version of skype and probably will do so. However it could become handy to have a sandbox ready to use.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-09-19 12:17:35

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: What about adding a sandbox?

I think a VM would be the simplest solution here.

Personally, I would try a systemd-nspawn container and boot it into X from the console.

#3 2015-09-19 13:49:34

Zoidberg

Judging from screen shots thread, some people here have older machines with as little as 2-3 GB of RAM. Not suitable for running VM with an OS supporting Skype. I doubt you can run Skype on Puppy Linux or something similar. It is not worth it to run an entire OS just to use skype. My 6.5 years old laptop can't handle it.

systemd-nspawn looks promising and not too complicated. Thanks. I hope it won't be too heavy. However I am not going to test it just yet. Exhausted from work, trying not to do things requiring much thinking.  :8

#4 2015-09-19 13:57:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Zoidberg wrote:

systemd-nspawn looks promising and not too complicated. Thanks.

I don't know if it would actually work as I've only ever run non-X containers for packaging purposes.

More thoughts here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/292925/ … plications

There are plenty of alternatives to Skype these days; I understand that Google Hangouts is better than Skype (I haven't tried either though) and is native to the browser, or something.

#5 2015-09-19 14:29:41

ostrołęk
CB Member

Zoidberg wrote:

I doubt you can run Skype on Puppy Linux or something similar. It is not worth it to run an entire OS just to use skype. My 6.5 years old laptop can't handle it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto … 572#844572

#6 2015-09-19 15:15:37

Zoidberg

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

There are plenty of alternatives to Skype these days; I understand that Google Hangouts is better than Skype (I haven't tried either though) and is native to the browser, or something.

Try to convince all your friends to drop Skype tongue They won't as their friends use Skype, too. And I don't use Google Hangouts as it requires being logged in to Google all the time. Neither I have Facebook account and so on. I am not very paranoid but I'd like to keep my privacy at reasonable level, to control what information about myself I give away.

Board footer