SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-28 19:09:04

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Advise with graphics card issue... SOLVED

Hi everyone,

Pretty much at wits end. Here's the short story...

My Father's got an old Dell Dimension 8200 desktop and wants to use flight sim software. I've maxed the memory @ 2 gigs, installed a new HD, installed Windows 7. Now, all meets the specs of the pci graphics card we just purchased.

It's not the first graphics card I've installed. Disabled the driver for the old agp card, installed new card and NO monitor.  I've called tech support and they assure me this card WILL work with this machine.

My question... Does this sound like a bios issue? AND IF there's a bios update available.... Could I run the risk of bricking this old machine which runs awesome at the moment.

Buy a new machine? YES but there's a sentimental attachment to this machine and would love to get this working. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Last edited by LabRat (2015-09-01 19:40:11)

Peace

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-08-28 19:46:52

tynman

Re: Advise with graphics card issue... SOLVED

You didn't describe the actual problem being experienced... You do mention "it runs awesome at the moment".

#3 2015-08-28 20:17:27

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Hi tynman & thanks for the reply,

I didn't do a good job of explaining the problem. It's a new card to facilitate the sim he wants to run. The machine meets all the specs for the card. I've disabled the driver for the old AGP card(which came with this machine), removed that card, installed new PCI card and when I try to boot the machine... No video output. The machine won't recognize the new PCI graphics card. Checked bios and changed it's value from AGP to auto but that won't work either.

In a nutshell... This machine works just fine with it's old AGP card installed(except for running the sim my Father needs)

Question is... IF a bios update is needed AND if it's even available, is it worth the risk of bricking this machine OR would it be wiser to just have him run his flight sim on a different machine?

I know it sounds odd but my Mother bought this damn thing in 2002 as a gift for my Father and she just passed... It carries sentimental value.

Peace

#4 2015-08-28 20:18:32

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Does the card function if you load up a live GNU/Linux ISO?

#5 2015-08-28 20:41:06

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Hi HoaS and was hoping to hear from you  smile

The installed card is AGP and inadequate for what he wants to do. So, purchased a name brand PCI card. Disabled the old driver in win7, removed AGP card, installed new PCI card and no video output. I'm sure it's the bios not recognizing it.

We've got a plethora of computers here... That's not the issue.

Just wondering if it's even worth trying to flash the bios of this old machine and risk bricking it(if there's even an update available) OR just leave the darn thing alone. As I've said before... There's a sentimental value attached to it.  roll

Last edited by LabRat (2015-08-28 20:41:30)

Peace

#6 2015-08-29 01:47:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

#7 2015-08-29 12:01:44

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

#8 2015-08-30 19:05:37

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks twoion,

I hadn't considered trying both cards at once ops I always thought agp was quicker but the old card won't support the level of shading required by the software. I'll give your other suggestions a shot as well.    smile

Peace

#9 2015-09-01 19:43:44

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Peace

Board footer