SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-10-31 22:17:28

iann
#! Die Hard

Re: Pentium III 800MHz 128MB RAM 20GB HDD

Neil wrote:
iann wrote:

...web browsing gets very tedious.

Use of a browser such as Dillo should allieviate that.

A lightweight browser helps a little, but mostly that old CPU just can't deal with all the javascript (and worse!) that web pages are full of.  Turning off javascript helps a lot, but isn't always practical.  I wouldn't want to use the machine on a daily basis, but it runs and is stable.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-11-01 00:14:21

TicTac
#! Junkie

iann wrote:
Neil wrote:
iann wrote:

...web browsing gets very tedious.

Use of a browser such as Dillo should allieviate that.

A lightweight browser helps a little, but mostly that old CPU just can't deal with all the javascript (and worse!) that web pages are full of.  Turning off javascript helps a lot, but isn't always practical.  I wouldn't want to use the machine on a daily basis, but it runs and is stable.

Disabling "Flash" ( if installed and enabled ) in any browser is a good place to start when trying to conserve system resources.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#28 2014-11-01 14:47:11

tdlam

In my experience, anything less than a P4 2.0 MHz will start having some kind of a struggle playing FLASH video...
for instance...I have a IBM t40 Peentium M 1.7...it will lag playing Flash or any vids FULL screen. it will play OK half screen
That is why any computer we get for our refurbishment charity effort less than a P4 2.0 is generally stripped for parts and e-wasted.

But that said...its still fun trying to get "blood from a stone" LOL cool

The oldest I got running was a laptop from 1998 that was running windows 95. It only had 32mb ram and a 4 gig HD drive. I believe it was a Pentium 2.
Anyway...Even Puppy Linux wouldn't run that good because the ram just wasn't enough. Well I wrangled up a 128 mb stick of ram at the local Goodwill Thrift store and put that into it and was able to get puppy linux on her. I remember feeling pretty happy that I got her to work. And it worked pretty well after that for light surfing on the internet, playing music, word processing and text chatting...even the light games bundled with puppy worked OK.
It was given to someone who needed a laptop for just those reasons. But the default Puppy interface  always felt a little conterintuitive to me for some reason that I can't quite place. But just discoverd LXPUP which uses LXDE desktop and I like it a lot.
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/lxpup

I always wanted to get Sltaz going but have always run into issues with configuring it for some reason or another. Now that I am a bit more proficient maybe I should give it another look...

There are three kinds of people in the world: Those that can count and those that can't.

#29 2014-11-01 18:12:16

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

Wait...what?
You guys/gals actually run Firefox without NoScript?
That add-on should be standard equipment.
I started using it in "self defense" from running across so many badly scripted webpages, since then it is the first thing I do when installing Firefox.
What a huge improvement it makes in web surfing experience.

Note: when I say Firefox I mean including Iceweasel as well, NoScript works just as well on it.

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#30 2014-11-02 08:39:30

ohnonot
...again

jeffreyC wrote:

when I say Firefox I mean including Iceweasel as well, NoScript works just as well on it.

...and i took your remark to check out seamonkey addons, and it works on that as well (seamonkey has some customizable security features built in already, but scripts can only be dis/enabled globally).

#31 2015-08-21 15:34:38

ernestto
Website

pvsage wrote:

I'd recommend SliTaz, except its repo is even more limited than Puppy.

I have no personal experience with AntiX, but I know it is highly recommended for older, more limited hardware.

I have a Pentium III, 800MHZ and I willt to test SLITAZ 5.0. Thanks

Board footer