SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-18 19:11:46

drink_n_drive

LAN instant messaging?

Hi again, long time no see! The reason I write is because I'd like a graphical instant messaging client to chat (and hopefully share files) with my gf's Linux Mint netbook. I've reciently got to know of an app named BeeBeep,  but it seems to be available for 64bit systems only (by the way, you must have deduced I'm running 32bit #!).
Does anyone know if there's something similar to this application? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: typo

Last edited by drink_n_drive (2015-08-25 02:43:09)

F5-ing

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-08-18 21:28:25

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Re: LAN instant messaging?

in repos for wheezy and jessie is iptux (haven't tested myself).

#3 2015-08-19 07:22:35

twoion

drink_n_drive wrote:

Hi again, long time no see! The reason I write is because I'd like a graphical instant messaging client to chat (and hopefully share files) with my gf's Linux Mint netbook. I've reciently got to know of an app named BeeBeep,  but it seems to be only available for 64bit systems only (by the way, you must have deduced I'm running 32bit #!).
Does anyone know if there's something similar to this application? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: typo

Pidgin's Bonjour transport is exactly what you are a looking for.

Bonjour is a serverless messaging protocol developed by Apple Inc. (Apple article on Bonjour) based on XMPP that operates only on a local network.

It works on Pidgin for Mac, Windows, OSX and most likely through other applications on Android and iOS too, so all your bases should be covered.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#4 2015-08-19 14:21:55

drink_n_drive

I'll give both iptux and Bonjour a try for a week and then comment on my experience. Thanks one more time.

EDIT: Well, I never really got to use Bonjour since iptux was just what I needed: a simple user-to-user chat within my home. And file sharing does it work, too. Easy as it sounds.

Last edited by drink_n_drive (2015-08-25 02:41:48)

F5-ing

Board footer