SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-08-15 02:42:47

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Re: Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

Yeah EFI support will have to remain with the netinstall script until such point as Debian Live Build supports EFI installs. Another good point for keeping the netinstall script alive.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#127 2015-08-15 03:19:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

How do I stop the script while it is working and edit the list of apps in the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs?

You can't. If it comes to a prompt you can use that chance and change to a new tty to make your edits. Otherwise, just hit Ctrl+C anytime and the script will exit immediately. If you're lucky no harm will have been done, you can edit those files and run the script again.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-08-15 03:20:21)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#128 2015-08-15 05:11:03

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:

How do I stop the script while it is working and edit the list of apps in the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs?

You can't. If it comes to a prompt you can use that chance and change to a new tty to make your edits. Otherwise, just hit Ctrl+C anytime and the script will exit immediately. If you're lucky no harm will have been done, you can edit those files and run the script again.

That's what I thought too, you can't stop your script while it is working. So, if you can't edit the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs, it would be much better not to automate your install. (http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 66#p436866) If you don't automate the installation, then you can either install all the bunsen packages, or some of them or just copy and paste only those you want. If you don't block yourself with (bunsen) configs, then your install would be agnostic to any changes later in the bunsen packages, while still having the look, with compton or without.

You also would have all of Debian's original support, rather than installing the alpha2 live iso without them. If the RC live iso would have the efi support, then the automated installing through your script would lose ground. The manual installing after the Debian netinstall is much nicer and informative, though.

If one wants to install stretch or sid, and installed through netinstall, you can download John's script and change the name jessie to stretch/sid in line 185

grep -q '\(jessie\|\(^\|[^a-zA-Z0-9.]\)8\($\|[^a-zA-Z0-9]\)\)' /etc/debian_version && msg "Debian version: OK"|| { warnlog "/etc/debian_version reads: $(cat /etc/debian_version)"

and continue using the script. Actually, even if you don't change it, it would still install the rest, after agreeing to continue.  Am I right here, John?

Thank you for your ideas, John. I shall be installing manually, though. smile

#129 2015-08-15 09:47:07

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

ostrolk wrote:

If one wants to install stretch or sid, and installed through netinstall, you can download John's script and change the name jessie to stretch/sid in line 185

grep -q '\(jessie\|\(^\|[^a-zA-Z0-9.]\)8\($\|[^a-zA-Z0-9]\)\)' /etc/debian_version && msg "Debian version: OK"|| { warnlog "/etc/debian_version reads: $(cat /etc/debian_version)"

and continue using the script.

At the moment, Testing/Unstable is in a state of high flux due to the gcc transition so a successful installation using this method is far from guaranteed.

#130 2015-08-15 11:33:55

ostrołęk
CB Member

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

and continue using the script.

At the moment, Testing/Unstable is in a state of high flux due to the gcc transition so a successful installation using this method is far from guaranteed.

Why not?

confirm "You do not appear to have Debian Jessie installed.
If you think this is incorrect,
you may wish to continue with the installation,
otherwise it would be safer to stop.
Would you like to continue anyway?" 1;

Those are the lines below that.

This checking whether you have jessie or not doesn't stop you from getting a working installation. You can even use Ubuntu mini iso. This script is OS agnostic.

Let's ask the creator of the script. Is that correct, John?

#131 2015-08-15 11:46:24

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

ostrolk wrote:

Why not?

Because not all the required packages will be installable during the current transition.

YMMV.

#132 2015-08-15 12:56:43

ostrołęk
CB Member

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

Why not?

Because not all the required packages will be installable during the current transition.

YMMV.

We are talking about the netinstall script, not the state of the Debian Testing/Unstable repos. My question "why not?" is about the way John's script works. His script would install any available package

If the missing packages are unimportant, you might prefer to continue
    with the install and fix the issues later.
    Would you like to ignore the errors and continue now,
    or exit and try to fix the problems?" 1

and is OS agnostic.

#133 2015-08-15 22:55:56

paxmark1
#! Junkie

ostrolk  You might, just might get it up in testing.  Far be it for us to post from our experience - if you want to try it with sid - go ahead, none of us will stop you.       But  https://release.debian.org/transitions/      and follow it even further

https://release.debian.org/transitions/ … dc++6.html

Feel free to read all 5 pages of       http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5719.0

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/viewt … p?id=39895

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/viewt … p?id=40073

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#134 2015-08-16 05:26:24

ostrołęk
CB Member

paxmark1 wrote:

ostrolk  You might, just might get it up in testing.  Far be it for us to post from our experience - if you want to try it with sid - go ahead, none of us will stop you.       But  https://release.debian.org/transitions/      and follow it even further

https://release.debian.org/transitions/ … dc++6.html

Feel free to read all 5 pages of       http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5719.0

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/viewt … p?id=39895

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/viewt … p?id=40073

Thanks paxmark1 for the reply. I will read all those links.
It is not that I want to install Testing, only I was curious about John's netinstall script, and not being a coder I was trying to understand the idea behind it. Then John posted few more links, which gave more light. I found that this John's netinstall script is OS agnostic.

For example, Ubuntu's debian-version being jessie/sid, you can simply add sid behind jessie in that line

# check debian version FIXME Is /etc/debian_version the best way?

and go on to install from Ubuntu mini.iso
ubuntu_debian_version.jpg I am using mousepad instead of geany. I installed it my way (explained earlier) and used Ubuntu mini.iso for that, the screenshot is from that.
I separated the installation into 3 blocks, packages with recommends, packages with no-recommends and the bunsen packages.

I wish John would make a comment on his own work, when he is back home.

#135 2015-08-16 10:22:20

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

ostrolk wrote:

Ubuntu's debian-version being jessie/sid, you can simply add sid behind jessie

Debian Stable (jessie) is not compatible with Debian Testing/Unstable or Ubuntu PPAs

Read this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian … nkenDebian

#136 2015-08-16 13:40:09

ostrołęk
CB Member

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

Ubuntu's debian-version being jessie/sid, you can simply add sid behind jessie

Debian Stable (jessie) is not compatible with Debian Testing/Unstable or Ubuntu PPAs

Read this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian … nkenDebian

I am sorry, but we are talking about John's script, but not about how to break or not break Debian or about Ubuntu PPAs. Please read John's install script, you'd find that it is OS agnostic. Have a look here too, http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40357

#137 2015-08-18 03:16:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Ostrolk you are asking me for a reply, but I don't understand what the question is.

The test and confirmation if Jessie is not installed: if the user wants to continue anyway, they can do just that. It is assumed that people who choose that option will understand the issues and be able to deal with any problems that come up. Other users have already given you some ideas of what those problems might be.

John
--------------------

#138 2015-08-18 05:56:37

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:

Ostrolk you are asking me for a reply, but I don't understand what the question is.

The test and confirmation if Jessie is not installed: if the user wants to continue anyway, they can do just that. It is assumed that people who choose that option will understand the issues and be able to deal with any problems that come up. Other users have already given you some ideas of what those problems might be.

I had a question at the beginning, but it is gone now. I found if I have the Debian Testing netinst.iso installed, for example, and if I change jessie in that line to what repo mentioned in /etc/debian_version, your script would work on. If I erase the --quiet, I could see what is happening. Anyway, I found I could as easily install the apps manually, have the control myself and install this Debian Openbox installation with or without Bunsen packages. Once, I tested that, I wrote a how-to here; http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=40357 .

Thank you for pointing me to your other links, where you first created a install script for Crunchbang Waldorf and the Xfce variant. smile Your scripts install a very good systems. If there is a way to adjust the pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs, before clicking enter on ./install would be excellent!
--------------

In your postinstall_commands

# commands to run after installing all files and packages

# add any needed extra groups
for i in #cbnetwork

should it be bunsennetwork or cbnetwork?

Last edited by ostrołęk (2015-08-18 06:24:50)

#139 2015-08-18 06:37:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ostrolk wrote:

for i in #cbnetwork

It's commented out because it's no longer needed. The code was left in case it might be needed in the future.

John
--------------------

#140 2015-08-18 08:12:52

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

for i in #cbnetwork

It's commented out because it's no longer needed. The code was left in case it might be needed in the future.

OK! I'm learning by reading your scripts. smile

I would suggest, if someone is making a bunsenlabs live iso that it should match the bunsenlabs netinstall pkgs-recs and pkgs-norecs or those packages should match the contents of the live iso.

#141 2015-08-18 08:39:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

All this will happen in due course...

John
--------------------

#142 2015-08-18 12:13:31

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:

All this will happen in due course...

Nice to know.
Please consider removing volti and pavucontrol as you have xfce4-mixer on. There is also alsa-mixer installed also. There is a way in preferences to place the icon on system tray and change its look.

Also consider adding ibus-setup, so one can change keyboard layout from system tray.

#143 2015-08-18 18:40:44

ostrołęk
CB Member

This is what I meant. Tint2 with battery icon and keyboard changer.
Tint2_with_keyboard_changer.jpg

#144 2015-08-19 02:36:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ostrolk wrote:

consider adding ibus-setup, so one can change keyboard layout from system tray.

ibus-setup comes with ibus. ibus already puts an icon in the systray, and right-click>preferences gives you the ibus-setup GUI.

John
--------------------

#145 2015-08-19 16:38:28

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

consider adding ibus-setup, so one can change keyboard layout from system tray.

ibus-setup comes with ibus. ibus already puts an icon in the systray, and right-click>preferences gives you the ibus-setup GUI.

I already have ibus-setup, so I can change the keyboard layout from my Tint2 Systray. Maybe other users would like to have such convenience. Of course, you can install Lxkeymap and go the roundabout way, but this is such a convenience.

Usually searching files & folders through Thunar using Catfish takes lot of time, and sometimes it never finds them, but Nautilus finds the files on the go, and it doesn't pull so many dependencies using recommends. Exchanging Nautilus with Thunar and Catfish might even bring down the size. There are some conveniences such as time taken to open large folders or deleting/uninstalling such would be much lesser in Nautilus than in Thunar.

BunsenLabs live iso has Lightdm, Leafpad, Volti etc, so not exactly like Crunchbang--your netinstall script also installs a different system too--so, why not change the apps for convenience?

#146 2015-08-19 17:11:44

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I use to use:

######################################################## Keyboard Switcher ###
## Start keyboard with 3 language mapping by Omen
## setxkbmap -layout 'us,ua,ru' -option 'grp:alt_shift_toggle' &
##setxkbmap -layout 'latam,es' &
##(sleep 3s && fbxkb && setxkbmap latam,es) &
#(sleep 1s && fbxkb) &

in my /home/sector11/.config/openbox/autostart - that shows up in the tin2 systray as well

now I just use "latam" so it is commented out.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#147 2015-08-19 18:23:10

ostrołęk
CB Member

I find my earlier suggestions had been taken well by John and his scripts are changed about 10 hours ago.  The pkgs-norecs had changed completely and the pkgs-recs only point to bunsenlabs deb repos. The install script also had changed a bit--must read thoroughly later. On the whole, it is now even easier to install any Debian release, Jessie or Stretch.
Thanks John. smile

PS: Maybe you'd consider Nautilus instead of Thunar & Catfish too in the future?

#148 2015-08-19 18:34:15

damo
#! gimpbanger

I find Catfish is bloat and can be very slow. mlocate works fine for me, but I guess YMMV.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#149 2015-08-19 19:34:56

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

ostrolk wrote:

PS: Maybe you'd consider Nautilus instead of Thunar & Catfish too in the future?

I hope not:

19 Aug 15 | 16:33:58 ~
    $ rdep Nautilus
alias apt-cache rdepends filename
nautilus
Reverse Depends:
  dropbox
  nautilus:i386
  libnautilus-extension1a:i386
  libbonobo2-0:i386
  nautilus-dropbox
  rabbitvcs-nautilus
  nautilus-share
  nautilus-share
  nautilus-sendto
  nautilus-scripts-manager
  nautilus-pastebin
  nautilus-image-manipulator
  nautilus-image-converter
  nautilus-compare
  nautilus-dbg
  nautilus-data
  libnautilus-extension1a
  gnome-core
  libbonobo2-0
  gsettings-desktop-schemas
  gnome-sushi
  gnome-session-flashback
  gnome-panel
  gnome-icon-theme
  gnome-color-chooser
  fvwm-crystal
  evince-gtk
  evince
  eiciel
  eiciel
  clamtk-nautilus
  cairo-dock-shortcuts-plug-in

19 Aug 15 | 16:34:02 ~
    $ 

But that's just MHO

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#150 2015-08-19 20:09:57

hhh
Cityspeak

Nautilus can be used safely in jessie and isn't too bloated if installed with --no-install-recommends. Also, as of jessie, it no longer takes over the desktop by default.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Board footer