SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#4301 2015-07-30 17:07:31

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/wind … more-31727

I'd consider following the opt-outs if you potentially will have a windows 10 computer in your network.

Yeah, from what I have read so far Windows 10 is not suitable for use on a personal computer anymore; with all the spying bullshit it does (some of it impossible to opt-out from) it's been degraded to a terminal into the Microsoft cloud.

Professionally working for a client on a confidential basis has to contractually forbid the use of Windows 10 in the future wink

There is a way to opt-out those impossibles, but it would be expensive and nothing the average joe could accomplish, a firewall  tongue

and nice!

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#4302 2015-07-30 17:10:29

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

CSCoder4ever wrote:
twoion wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/wind … more-31727

I'd consider following the opt-outs if you potentially will have a windows 10 computer in your network.

Yeah, from what I have read so far Windows 10 is not suitable for use on a personal computer anymore; with all the spying bullshit it does (some of it impossible to opt-out from) it's been degraded to a terminal into the Microsoft cloud.

Professionally working for a client on a confidential basis has to contractually forbid the use of Windows 10 in the future wink

There is a way to opt-out those impossibles, but it would be expensive and nothing the average joe could accomplish, a firewall  tongue

and nice!

I think it'd possible with the upper-level 'support branches' Microsoft is selling to corporate and other institutional (like government) customers but private users are getting screwed.


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#4303 2015-07-30 20:31:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Offline

#4304 2015-07-30 23:38:28

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ I was thinking of upgrading from 8.1 to 10, but based on this, I'm holding off.


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#4305 2015-07-31 00:06:26

pingu
#! Junkie
Registered: 2014-12-05
Posts: 367

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

wow,! people read the EULAs


"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

Offline

#4306 2015-07-31 22:54:09

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

I have finally completed the switch to systemd --user. I'm still using a xsession file though (for emergency purposes). No more stray daemons and desktop applications reparenting to PID1!

2015_08_01_005013_1920x1080_scrot.jpg


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#4307 2015-08-01 12:15:59

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

What did I miss?  Is 1 August 2015 National Monte Python Day?
6 users joined - names withheld to protect the guilty!

User1   Banned   0   Today - spam sig
User2   Banned   5   Today - spam posts
User3   Banned   5   Today - spam posts
User4   Banned   6   Today - spam posts
User5   Banned   0   Today - spam sig
User6   Banned   3   Today - spam posts

Should I  lol , get  mad  or   8.(


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#4308 2015-08-01 16:20:37

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

spam spam spam spam spammity spam!!! wonderful spam!

Offline

#4309 2015-08-01 16:30:03

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

@ CSCoder4ever

A hundred years ago, in a land far far away, as a Cub-Scout, I use to like that sliced thin and fried over an open fire with eggs for breakfast.

I just didn't know better!


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#4310 2015-08-01 17:29:02

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
From: ANTI-CENSORSHIP
Registered: 2008-12-02
Posts: 628
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

@ CSCoder4ever
I use to like that sliced thin and fried over an open fire with eggs for breakfast.
I just didn't know better!

eeabc7d4-a615-47bc-9bfa-ff4927ba7899.grid-6x2.jpg


============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools and 250+ internet radio stations

Offline

#4311 2015-08-01 17:34:18

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

OMG!  That's gross!  YUK!


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#4312 2015-08-01 19:20:51

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
From: ANTI-CENSORSHIP
Registered: 2008-12-02
Posts: 628
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:

OMG!  That's gross!  YUK!

I lived in Honolulu for nine years. Fried spam and rice with or without eggs was common in fast food places and even in normal restaurants. And actually, it's not bad and probably healthier than bacon. It is also popular in Korea and probably other Asian countries.

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2015-08-01 19:22:28)


============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools and 250+ internet radio stations

Offline

#4313 2015-08-01 21:33:22

Wreckurtion
Member
Registered: 2015-01-02
Posts: 18

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

NewCityVegas wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

OMG!  That's gross!  YUK!

I lived in Honolulu for nine years. Fried spam and rice with or without eggs was common in fast food places and even in normal restaurants. And actually, it's not bad and probably healthier than bacon. It is also popular in Korea and probably other Asian countries.

White rice, some veggies, fried eggs, and a dab of soy sauce makes the perfect meal. smile Add some spam to that and...  tongue  lol

Offline

#4314 2015-08-01 21:37:28

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Wreckurtion wrote:

White rice, some veggies, fried eggs, and a dab of soy sauce makes the perfect meal. smile Add some spam to that and...  tongue  lol

Let me fix that for you:

White rice, some veggies, fried eggs, and a dab of soy sauce makes the perfect meal. smile Add some spam to that and...  tongue  lol 

Ruins a perfect meal.


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#4315 2015-08-01 21:43:30

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-07-17
Posts: 4,634
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

I have finally completed the switch to systemd --user. I'm still using a xsession file though (for emergency purposes). No more stray daemons and desktop applications reparenting to PID1!

http://s10.postimg.org/3yarsswz9/2015_08_01_005013_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

Nice! Any resources you used besides the usual (Arch wiki, man pages?)? I would like to do the same soon smile


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Offline

#4316 2015-08-01 22:14:45

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Pork is never good for you, but okay. lol

Offline

#4317 2015-08-01 23:05:56

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Unia wrote:
twoion wrote:

I have finally completed the switch to systemd --user. I'm still using a xsession file though (for emergency purposes). No more stray daemons and desktop applications reparenting to PID1!

http://s10.postimg.org/3yarsswz9/2015_08_01_005013_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

Nice! Any resources you used besides the usual (Arch wiki, man pages?)? I would like to do the same soon smile

The man page on systemd.service (most interesting key: Type=) and some wiki references (mostly on how to set up the environment variables for systemd user units). Since I'm still using a .xsession file I'm not relying on dependencies between units which are I think the most complicated part. I'm keeping it this way because it will allow me to get everything working quickly if systemd fails in some way. I also didn't want to give up my wm loop

while true ; do
  COMMAND=$(dmenu -i -p 'xsession')
  case "$COMMAND" in
    dwm) systemctl --user start dwm.service ;; # oneshot
    logout) break ;;
    *) "$COMMAND" ;;
  esac
  if [[ $? -ne 0 ]] ; then echo "$COMMAND exited with status: $?" ; fi
done

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#4318 2015-08-02 05:08:46

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

pingu wrote:

wow,! people read the EULAs

Yeah...thank goodness; I just usually scroll as quickly as possible to the bottom and click OK or Agree.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-08-04 07:44:34)


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#4319 2015-08-04 00:31:13

hhh
Cityspeak
Registered: 2010-08-04
Posts: 3,253

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Volvo testing an automatic emergency braking system...
http://i.imgur.com/T05FCWk.gifv

More...
http://www.businessinsider.com/volvo-ha … ime-2015-3


bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Offline

#4320 2015-08-04 14:07:19

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

There is not a single perfect reference management application for Linux.

I have tested Mendeley, Docear, JabRef, Kbibtex, Zotero. As it is now, I am going to use Citavi (paid for by my university) on a Windows VM. It's pretty much all I want. EndNote is out of the question due to rampant data loss problems).

Does somebody have a recommendation for other BibTeX-compatible reference management software which runs natively on Linux he has had good experiences with? Free of charge is not a requirement: professional-grade programs please smile

Still curious if there is something for Linux.

Last edited by twoion (2015-08-04 14:08:00)


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#4321 2015-08-04 14:19:14

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
From: Edrychwch o'ch cwmpas
Registered: 2012-03-22
Posts: 1,026
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^I use LaTeX a lot (physicist, researcher), and after lot of wandering around I settled for JabRef. It is 'polished' enough to be used (with TexMaker, for example). It takes some time to set it up, and to get used to it.

However, I wouldn't call it yet professional-grade. and it is written in Java.

HTH


Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

Offline

#4322 2015-08-04 15:39:37

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

There is not a single perfect reference management application for Linux.

Which leads to:

Question is:
Is there a single perfect reference management application for any OS?

]:D

I don't need it, so have no idea, but that said:

Comparison of reference management software, and
11 of the Best Free Linux Bibliography Tools


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#4323 2015-08-04 16:15:33

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sector11 wrote:
twoion wrote:

There is not a single perfect reference management application for Linux.

Which leads to:

Question is:
Is there a single perfect reference management application for any OS?

]:D

I don't need it, so have no idea, but that said:

Comparison of reference management software, and
11 of the Best Free Linux Bibliography Tools

There are relatively better things.

I have read all those 'surveys', comparisons, compilations with elatives in their headlines, and I'm tired of them.  Most of the open source projects are half-assed in terms of features (no blaming), full of usability issues or simply dead. Cue kbibtex. I'm now asking for opinions from people who are actually using these (and other) programs.


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#4324 2015-08-04 16:26:25

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Sorry, between taking pot shots at killing spammers a six-pack at a time I'm going nuts here with trying to get anything else done.  Just trying to help.

Took me two days to reply to a conky question... sad


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#4325 2015-08-04 22:53:12

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 952

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Hmmm, the favicon on the pkg.bunsenlabs.org page is the BunsenLabs flame logo, but the favicon on the bunsenlabs.org page is still the #! logo...


- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo