SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-25 18:06:53

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Some steps for getting cooking with Bunsen Labs?

Hi all,

I've been trying to follow the conversations around getting in to Bunsen Labs, but I'm a little lost.

My hope is that I can upgrade from Waldorf to Bunsen without needing to fully re-install Linux. Is that possible?

If I'm going from Waldorf, does that I mean I'd need to move to Debian Jessie before I then used the Bunsen net-install on Github?

I don't think I need someone to give me each command, but I'm fuzzy on the general steps and dependencies involved.

Thanks in advance for your patience with a newb question.

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF
Asus EEEPC 1001PXD | Lenovo ThinkPad t410

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-06-25 18:47:04

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Some steps for getting cooking with Bunsen Labs?

I would seriously use the links below to figure it out and not my notes!!! wink

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39656

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39643

Here is what I have come up with after bugging the forum.

##Installation on 06-24-15
##How I managed to install BunsenLabs

#Install Debian 8 (leave root password blank).
# Now add contrib non-free to your sources.list
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
#add contrib non-free every line that ends with "main".

#Reboot, edit /etc/network/interfaces to add wifi.
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
#Add these lines to the bottom of the file.
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid mynetworkname
    wpa-psk mysecretpassphrase
# Now check your connection
sudo ifup wlan0

# Finally you can install bunsenLabs
wget https://github.com/bunsenlabs/bunsen-netinstall/archive/master.tar.gz
tar -xpf master.tar.gz
cd bunsen-netinstall-master
./install
# after you reboot the bl-welcome script will start. If you have problems with the multi-media ring use
# sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install deb-multimedia-keyring
# Then open the terminal and restart the bl-welcome script to finish installation.
# bl-welcome

## How to update BL.
# Here is how you udate the system
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
cd ~/bunsen-netinstall-master
./upgrade-bunsen-pkgs -u
# You need to keep up with the changelog for BL netinstall upgrades.
/usr/share/bunsen/skel/.config
/openbox/autostart

## Extra stuff
# I setup auto-login.
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
# add this to the bottom of the page
# additional info: https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM#Enabling_autologin
[SeatDefaults]
#pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
autologin-user=jack
autologin-user-timeout=0
#session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession

### Note: The GUI config tool can be found at >> Openbox >> GUI config tool. (I had a hard time finding it so maybe you will too.) 

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-25 19:06:13)

#3 2015-06-25 18:54:45

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

typewriterjason wrote:

My hope is that I can upgrade from Waldorf to Bunsen without needing to fully re-install Linux. Is that possible?

Not really.

One of the forum members has hacked the BunsenLabs install script about to attempt to force it to "upgrade" a Waldorf system to BunsenLabs but I do not recommend it -- it has already caused problems for at least one user...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … 175546083/

Follow the links provided by Colassal_Crunch -- use a Debian jessie minimal netinstall and download & run the BunsenLabs install script.

Be aware that it is a sub-alpha release and should only be used for testing purposes.

#4 2015-06-25 19:02:33

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

@Head_on_a_stick

Why don't we have a official sticky that we can just start spamming? Do you think Johnraff will make a cheat sheet soon like the one he did for wally?

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-25 19:03:11)

#5 2015-06-25 19:04:34

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Colossal_Crunch wrote:

Why don't we have a official sticky that we can just start spamming? Do you think Johnraff will make a cheat sheet soon like the one he did for wally?

I dunno d00d, I'm just a humble forum user like yourself smile

#6 2015-06-25 19:09:10

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Colossal_Crunch wrote:

I dunno d00d, I'm just a humble forum user like yourself smile

Really?, I had you pegged as secretly part of the development team for sure. I guess it's possible your just a nice and helpful person, maybe.

#7 2015-06-25 19:16:31

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Colossal_Crunch wrote:

I guess it's possible your just a nice and helpful person, maybe.

^ This big_smile

#8 2015-06-26 05:22:08

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
typewriterjason wrote:

Not really.

[...]

-- use a Debian jessie minimal netinstall and download & run the BunsenLabs install script.

Be aware that it is a sub-alpha release and should only be used for testing purposes.

Hmm. Maybe I should just go from Waldorf to Jessie? And wait for Bunsen to get to at least a Beta unstable version? I do have a second machine, but I'm running this on my 'office' computer.

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#9 2015-06-26 05:44:49

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@typewriterjason:  I think you'll be fine installing BL.  Although officially it's currently a sub-alpha release, I've not run into anything that would indicate a sub-alpha release distro.  It rocks IMO.  I'm currently running it on my desktop computer.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2015-06-26 06:29:16

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

typewriterjason wrote:

Maybe I should just go from Waldorf to Jessie? And wait for Bunsen to get to at least a Beta unstable version? I do have a second machine, but I'm running this on my 'office' computer.

I would recommend installing pure Debian jessie -- the LXDE edition is lighter than #! Waldorf and also uses openbox.

If you have any problems with hardware compatibility (test in the live environment first), then use one of the unofficial ISO images with the non-free firmware already included (just like #!):
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

I have had no problems with my BL system but I cannot recommend using it on your work machine -- take note of the warnings in the netinstall thread linked above.

Also, the configurations are changing as development progresses so a BL system requires more active management than you may like.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-06-26 06:32:29)

#11 2015-06-26 18:09:34

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Maybe I'll install onto a USB, as a persistent installation, to check that everything works and that the settings I've come to know and love in #! are still around... and if that seems to be working, slap it on the ol' hard drive.

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#12 2015-07-08 23:24:19

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Well, I got brave, followed some directions from a post in reddit, and borked my system, at least mostly.

For better or worse, I went with Crunchbang Plus Plus as my reinstall option. (Please don't hold it against me!)

That said, I plan to keep following Bunsen Labs and switch over to that when it's stable and newb-friendly enough for me. (Or until I get brave again.) Heck, I'll ask the question now, has anyone jumped from CB++ over to BunsenLabs? I'm figuring it's easier because it's already using Jessie?

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#13 2015-07-09 00:00:07

hhh
Cityspeak

typewriterjason wrote:

Well, I got brave, followed some directions from a post in reddit, and borked my system, at least mostly.

For better or worse, I went with Crunchbang Plus Plus as my reinstall option. (Please don't hold it against me!)

That said, I plan to keep following Bunsen Labs and switch over to that when it's stable and newb-friendly enough for me. (Or until I get brave again.) Heck, I'll ask the question now, has anyone jumped from CB++ over to BunsenLabs? I'm figuring it's easier because it's already using Jessie?

The Live (alpha) ISO is out now. You can try it without installing it BEFORE you bork your system.  tongue
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39977

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#14 2015-07-09 01:11:38

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

typewriterjason wrote:

For better or worse, I went with Crunchbang Plus Plus as my reinstall option.

I really don't know why you went that route unless you're uncomfortable doing netinstalls.  Getting BunsenLabs Hydrogen setup via netinstalls is very easy; (1) Debian Jessie netinstall, (2) BL Hydrogen netinstall.  Then, add your preferred packages.  I don't know how much simpler it could be.

Linux User #586672

#15 2015-07-25 23:14:23

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

KrunchTime wrote:

I really don't know why you went that route unless you're uncomfortable doing netinstalls.  Getting BunsenLabs Hydrogen setup via netinstalls is very easy; (1) Debian Jessie netinstall, (2) BL Hydrogen netinstall.  Then, add your preferred packages.  I don't know how much simpler it could be.

I'm not saying it was a GOOD plan... just the move I made at the time. I was looking for something very easy and CB++ process is that, at least.

My problem is that I'm something of a Linux Dilettante, not green enough to be a newb, but not seasoned enough to be much more than that. So the netinstall might have seemed simple to you, but at that time, it seemed less easy than the CB++ process.

All of that said, maybe I will try to put Bunsen on a usb stick and see how that goes, and then apply it to the system afterwards!

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#16 2015-07-26 01:09:39

smacz
#! Junkie

Keep in mind that the latest .iso release was meant to be an experiment attempting to test what a minimal install would consist of. Therefore there are some packages/programs that are missing. The netinstall is your best option for the latest full-fledged install for the time being.

That being said, netinstalls are fun! It consists of going through the install process for* the bare-bones Debian Jessie system. Then once you have it up and running, you can download the BunsenLabs netinstall script, and run it.

The only sticky part for you might be getting the network up and running. And that's really only if you're using wireless to install it. If that's the case, it's certainly doable, and these forums (as well as Stack Overflow, the Debian Wiki and the Arch Wiki) have some great tutorials available, as well as support if you run into any problems**. Otherwise, with a wired connection, most everything is automatic!

If you've ever used the terminal to move, run, or download a file, you should be able to follow this no problem! The devs here have made sure that it's as easy and robust as possible. It's all part of getting to know your system just a little bit better than you did before.

* It even shows you how to put it on a usb stick!

** If you're putting it on your Lenovo, then you shouldn't have any wireless problems. Some of us have had (solvable) issues with our wireless drivers (freakin' broadcom), but you shouldn't have to go through any of that rigamarole.

Last edited by smacz (2015-07-26 01:13:10)

#17 2015-07-26 23:07:45

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Awesome. Now I just need a free weekend to do the switchover!

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#18 2015-07-28 07:16:12

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

typewriterjason wrote:

My problem is that I'm something of a Linux Dilettante, not green enough to be a newb, but not seasoned enough to be much more than that. So the netinstall might have seemed simple to you, but at that time, it seemed less easy than the CB++ process.

Fair enough...I'm sometimes hesitant to try new things as well.  If you know how to install and use a VM - e.g. VirtualBox, VMware Player, etc. - then you could try it out in a VM and not worry about making a mistake.

Linux User #586672

#19 2015-07-28 12:14:59

eight.bit.al

KrunchTime wrote:

Getting BunsenLabs Hydrogen setup via netinstalls is very easy;  ... I don't know how much simpler it could be.

Respectfully,
I offer there is an inferred 'for me' in the claim 'it's easy'. It's not easy for my grandmother, or a the average six year old. Since it can't be 'it's easy' for everyone, it must be 'it's easy' for ???

Surely it doesn't mean the ridiculously obvious:
'It's easy' for someone with the right skills and experience.

So, if it's not easy for my grandmother, an average six year old, and we exclude the ridiculously obvious, what's left?
Does saying 'it's easy' (for me) appear to be just a boast?

Food for thought.

respectfully,
eight.bit.al

#20 2015-08-02 08:46:17

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Well, it turns out that it was really easy. Maybe not as easy as just installing off the CB++ iso, but by following the excellent instructions for the netinstall, I'm now running a wonderful Bunsen Labs on my Lenovo!

I've stayed up way too late tonight exploring the similarities and differences with the new Bunsen Labs but I have to say I'm very impressed with it so far. Some choices that I think were great next-steps from what was the old CB basic install, even if only in terms of options. (All the new conkys that are built in!)

Anyway, thanks all for the encouragement, support, and ideas. The prod of saying that it was easy did spur me forward into trying it.

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#21 2015-08-02 19:03:15

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

I know it is too late for you now but others my find it useful to know that there is a tutorial  by @userx-bw on how to upgrade from Waldorf to Bunsen
Waldorf to Bunsen upgrade

#22 2015-08-03 01:25:54

typewriterjason
#! Junkie

Ah. I probably would have tried that pre-borking my system before. I followed a bunch of steps from a redditor and it seemed too easy... and of course it was.

Fortune favors the bold.
#! WALDORF

#23 2015-08-04 07:42:31

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

typewriterjason wrote:

Well, it turns out that it was really easy. Maybe not as easy as just installing off the CB++ iso, but by following the excellent instructions for the netinstall, I'm now running a wonderful Bunsen Labs on my Lenovo!

See, I told you it was easy.  Congrats and enjoy!

Linux User #586672

#24 2015-08-04 09:20:55

smacz
#! Junkie

@typewriterjason Nice going! Glad you could join the club.

Board footer