SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#151 2015-07-21 22:58:47

Tim70

Re: RELEASED: BunsenLabs 8.1 (Hydrogen) Live ISO 32 & 64 bit (alpha2)

smacz wrote:

@Tim70 Basically it'll be out when it's ready. The community here wants to thouroughly vet anything that is to be released before it's put out into the wild. So no, there's no real timeframe.

K, can't wait.

Be excellent to each other!

#152 2015-07-21 23:06:40

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

But you can try it ...

The OP in this thread shows "alpha2" released. I'm presently using Alpha1 - works fine here.

Become a Bunsen "Alpha" Tester.  big_smile

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#153 2015-07-21 23:08:05

Tim70

Sector11 wrote:

But you can try it.

The OP in this thread shows "alpha2" released. I'm presently using Alpha1 - works fine here.

Become a Bunsen "Alpha" Tester.  big_smile

I am already using Alpha 2 on a vbox. I just can't wait for the like actual release, because that would mean, pure epicness.

#154 2015-07-21 23:21:53

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I hear you ... I'm using it now as my system machine.  That's how much faith I have in it.

#155 2015-07-21 23:45:42

smacz
#! Junkie

And there is certainly still work to be done on it. For instance.

@hhh I believe the issue of the missing calandar has been brought up and you stated that it would be included on the next ISO. Just double checking.

Dash wrote:

It doesn't install printer support, says it cannot find the meta package.

Seconded. And that's not only through the bl-welcome script, that's from the root menu too. From the file '/usr/bin/bl-printing-pipemenu' it should execute 'bl-meta-printer-support'. but '$ which bl-meta-printer-support' returns nothing. Same with "sudo find / -iname "*bl-meta-printing-support*"

Actually, the same goes for 'sudo find / -iname "*bl-meta*"' And going through bl-welcome again, the same goes for java, libreoffice, vcs, ssh, lamp, and packaging. Which makes sense because there are no bl-meta files installed. Jut another thing to add in the next (hopefully beta?) release.

BTW this is the i386 iso I installed.

EDIT: Reworded for clarity.

Last edited by smacz (2015-07-21 23:48:26)

#156 2015-07-21 23:47:11

Tim70

smacz wrote:

And there is certainly still work to be done on it. For instance.

@hhh I believe the issue of the missing calandar has been brought up and you stated that it would be included on the next ISO. Just double checking.

Dash wrote:

Seconded. And that's not only through the bl-welcome script, that's from the root menu too. From the file '/usr/bin/bl-printing-pipemenu' it should execute 'bl-meta-printer-support'. but '$ which bl-meta-printer-support' returns nothing. Same with "sudo find / -iname "*bl-meta-printing-support*"

Actually, the same goes for 'sudo find / -iname "*bl-meta*"' And going through bl-welcome again, the same goes for java, libreoffice, vcs, ssh, lamp, and packaging. Which makes sense because there are no meta packages in the ISO.

BTW this is the i386 iso I installed. Don't know how it was made if they were just left out accidently if that's possible. But that'll certainly be needed in the next (hopefully beta?) release.

Same in the 64 iso

#157 2015-07-21 23:53:46

damo
#! gimpbanger

NB Some of the scripts in the iso seem to be placeholders ATM, because the netinstall script pulled from github. A BL package repo has only just been set up, so wait for the next build release to see if the guys have got it all working properly.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#158 2015-07-22 00:01:52

smacz
#! Junkie

That's what us alpha testers are for!

@damo Would you please expand on the dialog that appears for you when running 'mpv --force-window --idle'? Is it a gtk dialog, is it something in the player window itself?...etc. A screenshot would be great if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with that. (although @hhh did state that VLC would ultimately be brought back for the default in the final release IIRC)

#159 2015-07-22 02:05:41

smacz
#! Junkie

@hhh Additionally evince is not installed as well. Nor do I believe that any other PDF viewer is present.

#160 2015-07-22 03:41:34

sashamoniker

I installed in 64-bit on a desktop.

After a couple of tries in which it suddenly became unresponsively fubar (the screen wiped sort of like this), I tried running the upgrade script before proceeding with the welcome script.

That seemed to fix all my problems; even the menu entries didn't trigger error dialogs.

#161 2015-07-22 04:50:21

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
Website

KrunchTime wrote:
exidux wrote:

So it remains a leap of faith like with all new or small less known distribtions.

CrunchBang was once new and small and required a leap of faith.  I took that leap and am glad I did.

That's true for every beginning linux distribution, even for the ones that practically arent more than a pre-configured existing distro. This one made me doubt to much though. Hell i didnt even doubt this much years ago when i first used a linux distro.  neutral

smacz wrote:

My good buddy and I used to hang around a 24hour coffee shop that attracted a lot of riff raff. His most oft-used phrase was

Don't feed the racoons.

Yeah but one needs to have a severe disconect with life beyond forums and computers to think its normal to respond like hhh did, especially his second response... And its equally odd to call the guy who did nothing wrong riff raff. For all i could know he might have a mental condition, or is he a young teen ? ...

Well, i dont know anything about him, he doesnt know a single tiny bit about me so im just going to ignore it. If BunsenLabs ever matures and reaches a state beyond #! fan project i might boot it.  cool

~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

#162 2015-07-22 07:35:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

smacz wrote:
Dash wrote:

Actually, the same goes for 'sudo find / -iname "*bl-meta*"' And going through bl-welcome again, the same goes for java, libreoffice, vcs, ssh, lamp, and packaging. Which makes sense because there are no bl-meta files installed.

Losing access to the metapackages was something that happened when putting the live iso together. With the netinstall script a "local repository" is made on the user's computer and the packages put there even if they are not installed to the system. If the metapackages were actually installed they would pull in all the other packages they depend on - many hundreds of megabytes!

Now there is a BunsenLabs online repository, so soon the live iso will be able to access that, and those metapackages, and the scripts that use them, will work again.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#163 2015-07-22 08:00:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@smacz thank you for the feedback - it really is appreciated.

smacz wrote:

First of all, there were some "failed to execute child process" errors on the root menu for:

• catfish

• gftp

• hexchat

• gnumeric

• gigolo

• gcalculator

Those are fixed by downloading the respective packages, so I'll assume that those will probably just be added to the next .iso or abandoned from the root menu.

@hhh's idea with this iso was to see if the size could be got small enough to fit on a CD. Most of those apps were considered desirable for a "normal" BL install, so any that aren't on the live CD because of space limitations will probably be installable later, from the "welcome" script, from pipemenus (or just by apt-get).

The one that had me scratching my head (the most) was the lack of a bl-media-player in the root menu.

Yes the MPV thing. It's a CLI app that belongs in a terminal basically, although there is a GUI that @damo mentioned that can be invoked with 'mpv  --force-window --idle'. bl-media-player is just a Debian alternative that can be set to anything, but if you want mpv from a menu or keyboard shortcut you'd have to use the above command. One workaround would be to write a wrapper script called eg bl-mpv and set that as bl-media-player. (There's already a bl-gvim wrapper to deal with a different issue with gvim.) Still, VLC might be a better default choice for many users, as long as it doesn't bulk up the iso size too much.

I figured out that 'galternatives' wasn't installed. It was only an apt-get away, so I pulled that down and gave it another run. After entering in my root passwd this time, I pulled up the GUI to see that there indeed was no bl-media-player entry. Ok, so I hit the [NEW] button (image of a blank sheet of paper under 'File'), and...nothing. Really?

Unfortunately so. galternatives will let you add a new option to an existing alternatives group, but you can't add a new group. Only the terminal for that. There will soon be a new helpfile on the menu to explain some of that a bit.

when mpv is ran without any arguments, switches, or flags from the CLI, all it does is output it's "help/basic options" text. So naturally running that from the root menu (via the "Media Player" entry) doesn't really do anything. @damo knows this.

In his change to bl-alternatives commit, he puts in the if-elif statement under bl-multimedia pipemenu:

elif [[ "$curApp" = "mpv" ]];then # set mpv to start with gui window
-	menuItem "$curAppName" "$curApp --force-window --idle"

I've never used mpv without any file specified, so I decided to give it a try. Turns out there is absolutely nothing you can do with mpv in that state.

I just tried that, and got the window just as damo described. I dragged in an audio file and it played OK. It's all pretty primitive though compared with VLC or Gnome-mplayer.

Otherwise, I would suggest replacing it (at least in the root menu) with a more fitting program, such as SMPlayer or VLC. Those both have valid GUI interfaces[1] for the use case that I am describing.

I tend to agree.

who's the one responsible for adding the "Thank you" after you input the sudo password for the bl-welcome script? That absolutely made my day.

Hey it's nice to think you've made someone's day once in a while! smile
Cheers!

John
--------------------

#164 2015-07-22 08:02:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

/mod hat on

@hhh and @exidux some of that stuff got a bit out of hand back there. We can exchange views without getting personal I think.

/mod hat off again

John
--------------------

#165 2015-07-22 09:30:54

smacz
#! Junkie

johnraff wrote:

I just tried that, and got the window just as damo described. I dragged in an audio file and it played OK.

After I 'git cloned' the repo with the upgrade script and upgraded the release it did end up showing that "Drop files to play here" screen. Curiouser and curiouser. Oh well, no big deal really. That was just a strange hiccup.

Lastly, I'll make sure that any further feedback will be posted in the correct thread.

#166 2015-07-22 12:58:13

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Now I have given Alpha 2 a try -- I have installed the 64-bit version on a virtual machine. I did make things a little over-complex in the interest of practicing building a system install with a mix of mdam RAID and Btrfs RAID. This part of the exercise has nothing to do with Bunsen Lab so I leave it out of this 'report' apart from stating that it worked according to plan.

So far I have only made a few Bunsen Lab specific notes and I guess all of them are known issues but I list them anyway. When running BL Welcome:

• When installing multimedia stuff I got complaints about faulty or missing signatures.

• Installing printer suport did not work: "Unable to locate package..."

• Ditto java

• I did not try to install LibreOffice

• SW tools installed without complaints

• Version control tools failed to install "Unable to locate..."

• I left OpenSSH, LAMP and Debian packaging tools alone.

What little I have tried in terms of 'daily use' (installing Baobab, emacs, surfing, youtube...) has worked flawlessly. Well, Tint2 died on me once. I have no idea why. It has not repeated it.

More from this sandbox another day...

/Martin

Last edited by MartinRF (2015-07-22 12:59:04)

#167 2015-07-22 22:17:47

hhh
Cityspeak

smacz wrote:

@Tim70The community here wants to thoroughly vet anything that is to be released before it's put out into the wild. So no, there's no real timeframe.

Especially since, as far as I can tell, the BL alpha2 builds are already as usable as any of the Debian Live ISOs, and there won't be anything on our Release ISO that you can't upgrade-bunsen-pkgs -u or apt-get install yourself. Unless a Bunsen computer somewhere explodes, our next build should be a Release Candidate.

I might be forgetting something, but left on the ToDo list till then...

• Make sure all of bl-welcome runs flawlessly

• Add missing packages and make sure all default menu items and keyboard shortcuts run flawlessly

• Add some customization to the Boot Menu and Installer (optional)

• Get some hosting stuff finalized

Even taking into account that it's a few of us working in our free time... September?

A huge thank you to everyone who has offered congratulations, support and gratitude in this thread.

"You guys rock!" smile

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#168 2015-07-22 22:20:35

hhh
Cityspeak

Oh yeah, I forgot... it's mental illness.  I think I'm a monkey. 8o

#169 2015-07-22 22:30:21

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

hhh wrote:

Even taking into account that it's a few of us working in our free time... September?

That sounds good here ... lets face it, it's in use now.  And like you said, it's as stable as Deb8 Stable (jessie) is now.

#170 2015-07-22 22:37:54

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

hhh wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot... it's mental illness.  I think I'm a monkey. 8o

Yes you are.  A Bunsen Laboratory  8o, you have survived and injection of pre-alpha, an alpha1 red pill and a cream-rinse of alpha2.

So we're all BunsenLab  8o 's - well except for LabRat - s/he's a Bunsen LabRat  wink

#171 2015-07-23 09:42:23

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

This is my 1e3 post, and I was thinking: should I write something particularly useful for this occasion, or should I post something utterly stupid which will put me on the edge of banning, like discussing politics, religious and non-religious people  ]:D  ]:D ? And in the very last moment I opted for the former ...

So here it is, a few notes about freshly install BL-alpha2-amd64:
1) install in VBox went flawlessly (both graphical and nongraphical)

2) just after logging in in new install, and before bl-welcome, I added BL repository. Then I restarted bl-welcome, and apparently BL repository is taken into account, but there is still problems with BL-meta-packages auth/verification. Here is relevant scrot:
screenshot_2015_07_23_10_57_29.jpg
This persist for all other bunsen-meta packages like libreoffice, printer ...

Funny thing, same goes for enabled multimedia repos:
screenshot_2015_07_23_10_58_49.jpg
I don't know what is the problem, I verified gpg key for BL repo. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

3) A suggestion: after install (irrespective of bl-welcome), when file manager is open it shows hidden files as well. If this is by design, then OK, but I think it should be set initially to not-to-show-hidden-files. (Yes, I know it is ctrl-H away.)

4) Bugs: several programs listed in OB 'right-click' menu are not actually present ie. installed. (Somebody did mention it here ...) Like galculator, evince ...

5) In /etc/apt/sources.list there are multiple lines for CD ... aren't they 'worthless' leftovers which can be safely removed? Their existence results in several (harmless) error messages during 'apt-get update'

6) Missing 'make' tool. I know it is apt-get away, I know it might be my personal preference, but somehow I have never have to install it separately ... Point being, if one tries to do anything a bit complicatied, 'make' is needed. And it doesn't get installed as a dependency for packages which need it. 'make' certainly is not bloated, and it seems to be ubiquitous; not as 127.0.0.1 and sendmail, but nevertheless ... OTOH, it might be only me?

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#172 2015-07-23 09:49:38

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

iMBeCil wrote:

In /etc/apt/sources.list there are multiple lines for CD ... aren't they 'worthless' leftovers which can be safely removed? Their existence results in several (harmless) error messages during 'apt-get update'

The Debian installer does that, it seems to be a bug.

Remove the lines to get rid of the messages.

Congrats on the big 1k!
smile

#173 2015-07-23 09:53:30

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

And one suggestions: devs, what do you thing of adding 'bash-completion' package to default install?

This package enables bash argument completion (and is not bloated), and comes very very handy while wandering throughout bash ... especially could be useful to people less used to bash.

#174 2015-07-23 09:59:21

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
iMBeCil wrote:

In /etc/apt/sources.list there are multiple lines for CD ... aren't they 'worthless' leftovers which can be safely removed? Their existence results in several (harmless) error messages during 'apt-get update'

The Debian installer does that, it seems to be a bug.

Remove the lines to get rid of the messages.

Oh, yes, I know all that, I was actually suggesting that the installation procedure should take care of this. (At least, that's what most distros do AFAIK.) I'm sorry I don't know how to rectify it in ISO.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Congrats on the big 1k!
smile

Thank HoaS  smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#175 2015-07-23 15:58:58

hhh
Cityspeak

iMBeCil wrote:

2) just after logging in in new install, and before bl-welcome, I added BL repository. Then I restarted bl-welcome, and apparently BL repository is taken into account, but there is still problems with BL-meta-packages auth/verification...

I'll make sure johnraff sees this. One point, if you download and run the upgrade-bunsen-pkgs script (see first post for link and instructions), some of those errors will be fixed, like the multimedia key one.

]3) A suggestion: after install (irrespective of bl-welcome), when file manager is open it shows hidden files as well. If this is by design, then OK, but I think it should be set initially to not-to-show-hidden-files. (Yes, I know it is ctrl-H away.)

Noted, I tend to agree and I think that was the default setting in waldorf.

4) Bugs: several programs listed in OB 'right-click' menu are not actually present ie. installed. (Somebody did mention it here ...) Like galculator, evince ...

It's on the cleanup list. Those programs will be on the full ISO, this build will become the CD-ISO and will have a streamlined menu.

5) In /etc/apt/sources.list there are multiple lines for CD ... aren't they 'worthless' leftovers which can be safely removed? Their existence results in several (harmless) error messages during 'apt-get update'

Safe to remove, know issue.

6) Missing 'make' tool. I know it is apt-get away, I know it might be my personal preference, but somehow I have never have to install it separately ...

Agreed, I had already put it on the list of packages to add.

iMBeCil wrote:

And one suggestions: devs, what do you thing of adding 'bash-completion' package to default install?

Fine by me. If anyone else is missing what seems like an obvious package please suggest it here.

Board footer