SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-21 12:53:32

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

[Solved? KindofSortofMaybe] Dropbox in Sid, anyone successful?

Heya folks!

I use dropbox to share work files across my VM's and hosts and I'm finding myself unable to get it running in Sid.  I get the "Dropbox isn't running! Dropbox is already running!" goofiness after install and it never ran the second setup step of signing in and linking the machine.

I tried the Debian .deb install first with both dpkg and gdebi then removed after each attempt then tried the headless install directions on the site.  Starting dropboxd succeeds and I see the process running with no errors in the terminal but I can't get any tray icon or a way of linking the account.

Has anyone gotten it running in their Sid install and if so, did you have to do anything in particular to make it happen?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by schwim (2015-07-21 16:53:50)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-07-21 14:18:41

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: [Solved? KindofSortofMaybe] Dropbox in Sid, anyone successful?

Hey schwim!

My testing partition has a brand new sid install, I downloaded trhe Debian 32 bit deb package from Dropbox...
https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

I installed it with dpkg and ran sudo apt-get -f install to fix some python dependency errors. Dropbox created a desktop file, running that prompted the daemon download, then for me to enter my email and password, done. You can also start Dropbox by running...

dropbox -i

The repository URL and signing key are here...
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/246

Instructions for completely removing Dropbox...
https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

I'm sure that's all old news to you, but I can at least confirm that Dropbox runs on Debian sid.

I'll post back if any issues arise.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#3 2015-07-21 14:29:39

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I haven't been able to get a DropBox icon in my Tint2 in a long time so I 'bookmarked' my site on my iceweasel toobar: 2015_07_21_11_26_22_Scrot11.png

and created a few items in OBMenu: 2015_07_21_11_23_09_Scrot11.jpg

<menu id="root-menu-8671" label="Bomb Bays">
			<item label="DBox - Net">
				<action name="Execute">
					<execute>iceweasel https://www.dropbox.com/home</execute>
				</action>
			</item>
			<item label="DBox - Home">
				<action name="Execute">
					<execute>thunar /media/5/Dropbox/</execute>
				</action>
			</item>

Not what you wanted but this has worked for me for years.

EDIT:  I have been copying:

• /home/sector11/.dropbox

• /home/sector11/.dropbox-dist

between system forever as well and it always works.  When it gets to stuff that can't be copied ()permissions) I simply [Skip all]

Last edited by Sector11 (2015-07-21 14:33:12)

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#4 2015-07-21 14:34:23

Choven

How did you get Sid?  Did you upgrade from a Jessie install, or perform a minimal netinstall?  I ran into problems with various programs when I tried upgrading from Jessie to Sid.  The primary problem was with R studio (needed for my job), so I had to wipe the system and start fresh.  This happened on two computers.  As a result, I did a netinstall and upgraded to Sid before customizing my systems.  I crunchified one system (base debian install), but on the other I made use of the How-To's in the forums to get #! upgraded to sid.  On both, I installed dropbox via the deb and it starts/runs without a problem.  Dropbox was one of the last programs to be installed.  I don't remember troubleshooting dropbox; everything seemed to work as it did on my Jessie and Waldorf installs. 

Good luck...

Choven

[edit] Wow, two posts appeared before I could finish this one.  My tint2 icon works on both systems.  I did have GTK theme issues that prevented some icons from showing.  It may have been the dropbox icon, but it could have easily been my WIFI or volume icon. Changing the theme corrected the icon issue. [/edit]

Last edited by Choven (2015-07-21 14:37:52)

#5 2015-07-21 14:36:02

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Heya triple and thanks for the help smile

I wondered if the i386 version was the difference between us but after installing multiarch, I tried it and got an install failure  of "dependency is not satisfiable procps" so was not able to install the 32 bit at all.

I'll continue looking for resolutions but with as long as they've allowed the non-transparent icon deal to exist, I'm not super hopeful of an update that will get me working in the near future.

#6 2015-07-21 14:38:32

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Sector11 wrote:

I haven't been able to get a DropBox icon in my Tint2 in a long time so I 'bookmarked' my site on my iceweasel toobar:
http://s20.postimg.org/oz1rb1kct/2015_0 … crot11.png

and created a few items in OBMenu: http://s20.postimg.org/cygbabcy1/2015_07_21_11_23_09_Scrot11.jpg

<menu id="root-menu-8671" label="Bomb Bays">
			<item label="DBox - Net">
				<action name="Execute">
					<execute>iceweasel https://www.dropbox.com/home</execute>
				</action>
			</item>
			<item label="DBox - Home">
				<action name="Execute">
					<execute>thunar /media/5/Dropbox/</execute>
				</action>
			</item>

Not what you wanted but this has worked for me for years.

EDIT:  I have been copying:

• /home/sector11/.dropbox

• /home/sector11/.dropbox-dist

between system forever as well and it always works.  When it gets to stuff that can't be copied ()permissions) I simply [Skip all]

I can move those dirs over and see what happens while the daemon is running.  Maybe I'll be able to use the syncing feature minus any GUI or taskbar icon.

Thanks!

#7 2015-07-21 14:40:11

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Choven wrote:

How did you get Sid?

Testing netinstall and change of sources before installing anything. 

I see a log dir in the dropbox-dist folder but the files inside don't seem to want to open in any human readable format.

#8 2015-07-21 16:34:57

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

/off topic

If using the testing netinstall in "Expert" mode it gives you the chance to go to sid BEFORE installing anything.  big_smile

Select Advanced » Expert - you'll be prompted for what release you want: stable, testing or unstable > aka SID

/on topic

schwim wrote:

I can move those dirs over and see what happens while the daemon is running.  Maybe I'll be able to use the syncing feature minus any GUI or taskbar icon.

Thanks!

I'm not sure.  Way back when (#! Statler I think) when I installed DropBox for the first time I had the icon and I set DB to use that directory on /media/5 that I've had since the day I installed Ubuntu with a separate / and /home ... sda1 = /, sda2 = /home, sda3 = swap and sda4 = extended.  So sda5 made perfect sense and filled out my small HDD.  Once I got a larger HDD, I kept that pattern so with all Debian installs here:

/home/sector11/.dropbox
    /home/sector11/.dropbox-dist

work on these installs:

sda 1 & 2 - #! "Wheezy!"
sda 6 & 7 - Deb8 - s11'ized and a touch of Bunsen
sda 8 & 9 - Bunsen Netinstall (this is my systems as of yesterday) but installed 1 July
sda 9 & 10 - Bunsen Alpha1 Live ISO

Good luck.

#9 2015-07-21 16:52:59

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Funny story.  running the 64 bit installer a few more times resulted in a successful install.  I'm pretty sure nothing was installed in between attempts.

Unfortunately, my experience is of no use to anyone else that finds themselves in the same pickle.  I've muddled through another issue without learning a thing smile

#10 2015-07-21 17:29:25

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I do that all the time...  lol  lol  lol

Board footer