SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-05 22:59:42

seppalta
#! Member
Website

Places Pipemenu [Solved]

I configured it supposedly so that geany launches all text-type files, pcmanfm launches all folders and exo-open is suppose to launch everything else according to /home/me/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.  Everything works except vlc is not chosen to open music files (.flac, .mp3, .ogg, etc).  Instead there is a long delay, and then geany opens to nothing???  There is nothing in  mimeapps.list that attaches geany to any kind of audio file.   What can I do to fix this?

Last edited by seppalta (2015-07-06 20:05:15)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-07-05 23:08:41

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Places Pipemenu [Solved]

Have you tried r-clicking files in Thunar and Open With -> Open with Other Application -> Use as default ?

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-07-06 00:08:15

seppalta
#! Member
Website

Have you tried r-clicking files in Thunar and Open With -> Open with Other Application -> Use as default ?

Yes, as I understand it, that is what determines mimeapps.list.

#4 2015-07-06 05:55:07

johnraff
nullglob
Website

It could be that your music files are being marked as executable for some reason. I have just imported am mp3 file into my Virtualbox Bunsen install to test this, and found that in the process the permissions got corrupted. (This often seems to happen.)

The issue you are having is in the places pipemenu script itself, it's nothing to do with mimetype associations.
Lines 39~44:

open_file() {
    [ -x "$1" ] && exec "$text_editor" "$1"     # comment out this line if you don't want to edit executables instead of executing
    #[ -x "$1" ] && exec "x-terminal-emulator -e" "$1"     # uncomment this and comment out previous line to run executables in terminal instead of editing
    [ "${1##*.}" = desktop ] && exec "$text_editor" "$1"     # comment out this line if you don't want to edit .desktop files instead of executing
    exec "$default_open_cmd" "$1"     # use default open command if above conditions not satisfied
}

Files marked as executable will be opened in $text_editor by default. This is done so that you can click a script and edit it.

If you comment out line 40 the issue you are having will go away, but in future if you click an executable script in the Places menu then it will be executed not edited. A possibly better solution is to go over your media files and change the permissions so that they are no longer executable. Then they will play in VLC when clicked in the places menu.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#5 2015-07-06 20:03:34

seppalta
#! Member
Website

Thanks Johnraff.  I missed the instruction "# comment out this line if you don't want to edit executables instead of executing" in the Places pipemenu.  Commenting out that line ([ -x "$1" ] && exec "$text_editor" "$1") solved the problem.  Now to figure out how to mark this post solved.

Last edited by seppalta (2015-07-06 20:04:20)

#6 2015-07-07 03:19:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

(I still think your media files should not be executable, though.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer