SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-14 23:11:10

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

BunsenLabs Hates Wallpaper.

I have noticed a very odd little bug in the wallpaper changer in BL. When you add a folder from preferences it will not work again after rebooting the pc. You have to go in and remove the folder and then add it again! This is the only solution I have found.
*Note: I have mostly been trying to use a dropbox folder and that might have something to do with it.
(slightly off topic: I have noticed that sometimes BL forgets my wallpaper and reverts back to a grey screen)
Hope this is useful info....

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-14 23:12:26)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-06-14 23:41:52

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: BunsenLabs Hates Wallpaper.

What happens if you use the command on its own?

nitrogen

Or search the forum and find [SOLVED] Nitrogen don't read the Images into the Folder

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-06-15 12:53:33

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

damo wrote:

What happens if you use the command on its own?

nitrogen

Or search the forum and find [SOLVED] Nitrogen don't read the Images into the Folder

That seems to do the trick. Would you explain what the difference is between typing the command in and using the menu? They both seem to pull up the same program so is it a glitch?

I also wanted to same that I'm sorry for not finding the other thread concerning this problem. Should I try to have it merged with it?

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-15 12:54:24)

#4 2015-06-15 13:29:44

damo
#! gimpbanger

Colossal_Crunch wrote:

That seems to do the trick. Would you explain what the difference is between typing the command in and using the menu? They both seem to pull up the same program so is it a glitch?

I also wanted to same that I'm sorry for not finding the other thread concerning this problem. Should I try to have it merged with it?

A basic thing to do if something isn't working is to try a command in a terminal, so that errors can show up. This will usually point to the problem. In this case it isn't the same command, as you can see by looking at menu.xml....

nitrogen ~/Pictures/wallpapers/

and autostart...

nitrogen --restore &

Find out about the command with

man nitrogen
or
nitrogen --help

With respect, these are very elementary techniques, which have been pointed out to you previously IIRC

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#5 2015-07-04 20:13:18

spacex
ew
Website

@ Damo

Is Bunsen using the default Debian user folders with capital letters? I thought this was a bug or something, because it doesn't match the .gtk-bookmarks. Only bin and backup are in the side-pane in thunar, as the other directories doesn't exist in Bunsen. Not in the install I did anyway.... There is a mismatch here:

file:///home/tweak/backup backup
file:///home/tweak/bin bin
file:///home/tweak/documents documents
file:///home/tweak/downloads downloads
file:///home/tweak/music music
file:///home/tweak/images images
file:///home/tweak/tmp tmp
file:///home/tweak/videos videos

You are probably aware of it. Just thought I should mention it, just in case. No problem to fix manually, but it seems more professional if the install gets it right the first time smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#6 2015-07-04 21:18:01

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

damo wrote:

In this case it isn't the same command, as you can see by looking at menu.xml....

nitrogen ~/Pictures/wallpapers/

If I may offer a gentle suggestion, please please please don't hard-code the wallpaper path in Bunsen's menu.xml. I know #! did this, but it caused a lot of problems and repeated help topics (and has continued to cause problems for the OP). If you need to set the initial path, put it in the config file (~/.config/nitrogen/nitrogen.cfg) and simply call "nitrogen" in menu.xml -- this way when the user changes the path or adds directories the changes will persist.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2015-07-04 21:23:54)

#7 2015-07-04 21:41:43

damo
#! gimpbanger

@porkpiehat

FWIW I agree with you. I'll raise it on github.

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#8 2015-07-04 22:11:24

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Thank you. Your opinion is worth quite a bit (at least to me.)

#9 2015-07-05 02:18:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@spacex Thank you for catching that bug.
.gtk-bookmarks has now been edited to match the current directory names and ships with the latest bunsen-configs.

@everyone the easiest way to get (most of) the latest default settings is to remove ~/.config and log out. A new .config dir will be created. This assumes you've put nothing important there.

@porkpiehat That's a very good idea, and will be enacted soon. The only stumbling block is that the path in nitrogen.cfg needs to be full, and shellisms like ~/ and $HOME are not supported so the installer needs to write in the correct user name. It's doable though.

@everyone - bug reports and annoyances like these are very welcome. Please keep sending them in!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#10 2015-07-05 02:31:49

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

^ So maybe put the BL wallpapers somewhere like /usr/share/wallpapers (and use this path in nitrogen.cfg) -- if the user wants to use a local directory, he/she can change the path in Nitrogen. IIRC, #! used a symlink from ~/Pictures/wallpapers to /usr/share/wallpapers, and this confused people when they needed root access to add walls there, so that's not a good solution.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2015-07-05 02:32:47)

#11 2015-07-05 03:26:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

The nitrogen directory path setting has been moved from menu.xml to nitrogen.cfg in the latest bunsen-configs.

The wallpapers are installed to /usr/share/backgrounds/bunsen/bunsen-images because some other packages also put wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds.

There is a symlink from ~/Pictures/wallpapers/shared to /usr/share/backgrounds to pick up any wallpapers that have been installed there. Users are free to put their own wallpapers in  ~/Pictures/wallpapers without having to edit any config files or use any root powers. Both locally installed wallpapers and the system images will appear in nitrogen's list without any tweaking. I think this is a reasonably transparent solution.
(This is what happened in #! too btw - anyone who thought they needed to invoke root to install wallpaper was getting confused.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer