SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-22 00:35:16

paxmark1
#! Junkie

journalctl --vacuum-size

I had no X  after a dist-upgrade with a lightdm connected update after the reboot from tty1.  I got the lightdm screen but it puked going to X - can't write to /tmp I was pretty sure it was just / (root  var tmp etc) had filled sda1 to 100%.  I risked my gut feelings that it was only the filled sda1 and did apt-get clean when autoclean did not work.  Lucky me. 

I had seen some things prior about how to shrink the logs of systemd and they seemed to be two step processes and I delayed.  But I checked some more.

However I have discovered (sudo) journalctl --vacuum-size=  and put 0.6G to hopefully shrink from 0.944G which was allocated via default for my system. 

sudo journalctl --vacuum-size=0.6G
 . . . 
Vacuuming done, freed 320.0M of archived journals on disk.

Source was from https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … journalctl

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-06-22 05:38:03

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Re: journalctl --vacuum-size

Oh nice. Note that you can set a maximum limit for the disk space the journal uses in /etc/systemd/journald.conf (SystemMaxUse= etc). See the accompanying man page journald.conf(5) for an explanation.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#3 2015-06-22 10:31:13

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: journalctl --vacuum-size

Thanks for the tip!

journalctl(1) wrote:

--vacuum-size=, --vacuum-time=
           Removes archived journal files until the disk space they use falls below the specified size (specified with the usual "K", "M", "G", "T" suffixes), or all journal files contain no data older than the specified timespan (specified with the usual "s", "min", "h", "days", "months", "weeks", "years" suffixes). Note that running --vacuum-size= has only indirect effect on the output shown by --disk-usage as the latter includes active journal files, while the former only operates on archived journal files.  --vacuum-size= and --vacuum-time= may be combined in a single invocation to enforce both a size and time limit on the archived journal files.

Board footer