SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-08 16:41:43

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

distrowatch and cb++ ...

Stumbled across this on distrowatch:

Distributions added to waiting list
CrunchBang Plus Plus. CrunchBang++ is an open source and completely free of cost computer operating system, designed as a continuation of the CrunchBang Linux distribution, based on newer Debian 8 "Jessie" packages and built around the minimal and lightweight Openbox window manager. CrunchBang++ is also known as CBPP or #!++ or CrunchBang Plus Plus.

I don't think it is problematic and/or disastrous ... BunsenLabs, once finished, will also be the distro - "continuation of the CrunchBang Linux distribution".

So, keep up good work johnraff and others!

Last edited by iMBeCil (2015-06-08 16:45:16)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-06-08 17:38:10

eight.bit.al

Re: distrowatch and cb++ ...

AS a professional distro hopper,  wink  I have been working my way through the list:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit
I'm about 90% of the way through.

I tried #!++, PDH  ^^^

I just have issues using it for anything important, like checking my bank account, until it has a larger following. Same as any new offering.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2015-06-08 17:43:59)

#3 2015-06-08 18:43:30

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

When BunsenLabs gets added, be sure it is noted that IT IS the community continuation of crunchbang

#4 2015-06-08 20:09:35

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Well, it seems to be the difference between community development vs. single-developer distro. (Note: I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just stating the state of the matters.) TBH, cb++ is like original CrunchBang, in the sense that there is a single developer. And with this, number of decisions are decided in a very simple manner: developer wants it that way, and that is the way it is.

BunsenLabs (Hydrogen) is more like community distro, where, at least, several people are actively contributing to it. It, by nature, goes at slower pace.

I didn't try cb++, so I cannot comment on it. I tried BunsenLabs, and it is just I thought it will be. And, in my heart, I will always be BunsenLabs fan, since this is one of the distro which influenced mostly my Linux journey (other being FreeBSD).

So, once more: keep up good work johnraf, hhh and others. I will certainily recommend and install BunsenLabs to all people asking for it ... I mean, asking for Linux OS wink And I'm looking forward to BL being included to distrowatch list. (I wish I could contribute to it ...)

(As for me, CrunchBang - and even BunsenLabs - taught me so much smile about Linux, and as a result for some time now I'm doing my installs directly from Debian-netinstall + X + pekwm.)

#5 2015-06-08 20:19:56

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

I think the long term plan is to make BunsenLabs into a Debian Pure Blend rather than a distribution as such so #!++ is not directly comparable.

Does anybody know if it is using a custom repository and packages not found in the official repositories?

#6 2015-06-08 22:10:33

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

^ OK, I installed cbpp in VBox.

The installation is debian jessie netinstall (even grub screen is from debian 8 netinstall), 'retrofitted' with number of (standard) packages for CrunchBang look-and-feel.

cb++ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
http://packages.crunchbangplusplus.org/jessie jessie main

('...' being the standard jessie stuff).

As for the custom packages, 'pnmixer' seems to be pulled from 'packages.crunchbangplusplus.org'. (But you can go there yourself ...) And few meta packages, like cbpp-meta-libreoffice are pulled during '*-welcome' script.

Hope this helps.

#7 2015-06-08 22:20:51

Kuno
#! Die Hard

#! once stopped my distro-hopping

iMBeCil wrote:

(As for me, CrunchBang - and even BunsenLabs - taught me so much smile about Linux, and as a result for some time now I'm doing my installs...

...from Debian-LXDE, then strip the lxsession part and use the old crunchbang setup. And because of upgrading to testing/sid i seem to never ever have to reinstall.  Just tweak a bit from time to time... Like installing bunsen-themes... I also saw that CB++ - announcement on distrowatch an decided to not download that iso.
So again: thank you Phillip and all the bunsen lab crew!

#8 2015-06-09 01:56:16

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

CSCoder4ever wrote:

When BunsenLabs gets added, be sure it is noted that IT IS the community continuation of crunchbang

+1

iMBeCil wrote:

BunsenLabs (Hydrogen) is more like community distro, where, at least, several people are actively contributing to it. It, by nature, goes at slower pace.

There is, or should be, one person in charge who has the final say on things.  You can't get away from having someone make the final decision, that is if you want anything to get accomplished.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-06-09 01:57:01)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#9 2015-06-09 06:11:50

intoCB
Scatweasel

Perhaps the BDFL model is so prevalent in free software because in the absence of money, ego is a suitable motivator.

On another note, I did install the BL alpha scripty thing.
Some comments:

• Well done to everyone involved you've clearly put in a huge amount effort to get this far.

• Even though I still support the concept - it's better for the community and better for Debian - and was even one of the cheerleaders for it, Debian netinstall + bunsenlabs-install + post install scripts is quite a hike in this day and age. So if you aren't providing ISOs be prepared to lose people for whom this all too hard and Archy.

• Accepting unsigned packages should be unacceptable in this day and age and we shouldn't encourage bad habits by prompting people to do it.

• Kudos to Ben Young. He picked it up and he did it. Let's make sure we don't end up the Richard Stallman to his Linus Torvalds.

#10 2015-06-09 06:38:23

damo
#! gimpbanger

intoCB wrote:

Perhaps the BDFL model is so prevalent in free software because in the absence of money, ego is a suitable motivator.

On another note, I did install the BL alpha scripty thing.
Some comments:

• Well done to everyone involved you've clearly put in a huge amount effort to get this far.

• Even though I still support the concept - it's better for the community and better for Debian - and was even one of the cheerleaders for it, Debian netinstall + bunsenlabs-install + post install scripts is quite a hike in this day and age. So if you aren't providing ISOs be prepared to lose people for whom this all too hard and Archy.

• Accepting unsigned packages should be unacceptable in this day and age and we shouldn't encourage bad habits by prompting people to do it.

• Kudos to Ben Young. He picked it up and he did it. Let's make sure we don't end up the Richard Stallman to his Linus Torvalds.

An iso is being worked on AFAIK. The BL netinstall script is using some unsigned packages on a temporary basis just to keep things moving and being tested.
I like the idea of both installation options being available eventually, especially as it gets around the issue of some people wanting a small iso, since they could use a netinstall version.

The core of the dev team are some of the forum mods, who corenominal trusted to keep things on track. @pvsage is Boss wink

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Board footer