SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-26 21:50:56

Michele13
#! Member

(Under Development) Michele13's LiveCD (Last Update: 2015-09-23)

Hello guys, I'd like to talk with you about creating a special custom LiveCD. I recently fell addicted with Porteus Linux for it's compact size and it's modularity. As I'm a Debian lover I tried to figure out how could I create a distro with that kind of features AND with my surprise I found what I've been looking for: Porteus-Wheezy and DebianDog. However as I'm curious guy I did not like to just to grab it and use it, so I decided to try to figure out how it was made and that's why I asked some questions here that I was able to solve:

Stripping down a debian netinstall (cli) to bare bones
Aufs, init and chroot

I've tried other distros in the meantime such as Linuxbbq Accademy and I'm going to get the best of every distro and include it in my LiveCD. I will be using Grub2 as bootloader because it's very useful to boot every kind of device, even if it takes a little more to boot up. Are you interested on my Project?

WARNING: This Guide only works with BIOS systems! EFI is NOT supported!

TO DO:
- Explain how to activate modules without rebooting the system (should be done with universal modules only)
- Update modules created on the previous tutorial (Done!)
- Explain live-boot mount points in a persistent environment and in a live-mode only
- Update offline guide

other stuff does not come into my mind..

DISCLAIMER:
This thread is still in development: the content of a single post can change very often during the day as I try to make this guide as good as possible. Keep in mind that everything that I show here can be followed at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you mess up your system, if your computer starts walking and thinking on it's own or if you end up with an unbootable LiveCD or LiveUSB. smile

TIP: These tutorials make a massive use of the terminal of the bash shell, therefore I encourage you to read the following books:

1, Debian Reference Guide (Chapter 1 GNU/Linux Tutorials)
2. Debian Reference Guide (Chapter 12.1 The shell script)
3. Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide

Downloads

Credits:
- Fredx181, FoxyRoxyLinux and Saintless of the Puppy Linux Forum for DebianDog and it's scripts
- BrokenMan and Fanthom from the Porteus Forum for Porteus Linux

INDEX:
1.Build the basic LiveCD (Update)
2.Live USB Installation
3.Persistence
4. Module Creation

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-09-23 09:55:40)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-26 22:07:02

Michele13
#! Member

Re: (Under Development) Michele13's LiveCD (Last Update: 2015-09-23)

1.Build the basic LiveCD

Here are the steps that I made to make the core LiveCD, you will end up with a CLI system that is localized in your language
This part is based on l3net's Debian LiveCD tutorial

CHANGESLOG:
- Made the tutorial more tidy by making some structural changes and some corrections
- Added sound support
- Apt now does not install suggested or recommended package to save size
- Added wifi firmware
- Step 1: replaced genisoimage with xorriso, removed isolinux and syslinux and added grub-pc just to be sure you have it installed
- Step 4 added
- Stage 3 divided into more paragraphs to make the process easier to follow
- Made some corrections
- Reduced size of the ISO (more work could be done)
- made squashfs compression better
- created a locales modules
- made little corrections
- added brief instructions to update the system (tell me if you want me to describe the whole process in depth)
* small typo fixes
* man and manpages were added as packages to install manually since debootstrap no longer installs them by default in stretch/sid
* added warning about the possible change of name that network interfaces that have on the next debian releases
* added some other utils to be installed in the Live CD

Step 1- Installing the necessary software

Open a terminal and follow these instructions, keep in mind that every command preceeded by the # sign should be given as root, otherwise the dollar sign will be used.  These are the software that you need to install on your system:

# apt-get install genisoimage debootstrap squashfs-tools grub-pc

Step 2 - Create a basic filesystem

Let's Create the skeleton of the project with

$ mkdir -p livecd/binary && cd livecd
# debootstrap stable chroot

the binary folder will contain the final LiveCD structure

Step 3 - Chroot

1. Enter in the system

Now it's time to chroot, to install packages and to finish to setup the LiveCD

# cd livecd
# chroot chroot
# mount none -t proc /proc
# mount none -t sysfs /sys
# mount none -t devpts /dev/pts

2. Update sources mirror

Edit the sources.list file with

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and replace it's content with the following:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Save with CTRL+O and exit with CTRL+X, if you don't use CTRL+O you will be asked if you want to save the file when you exit.

3. Avoid installation of extra packages

Let's tell APT to not install suggested or recommended packages in order to save more space when we use the final system:

nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99Recommends 

where 99Recommends is a filename of choice, I suggest you to use a clever name smile

Apt::Install-Recommends "false";
Apt::Install-Suggests "false";

Note: you can install Recommends or Suggests by using "--install-recommends" or "--install-suggests" switches on apt-get while installing some packages. You can see Recommends or Suggests related to a package by using "apt-cache depends".

4. Set up networking

Change the hostname with:

echo "debian">/etc/hostname

and edit /etc/network/interfaces to make network working when you boot from the CD

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Attention Please: in future versions of debian (like stretch/sid) the name of the network interfaces might change (eg. from eth0 to enp2s8) due to the new kernel, if your network does not work type ifconfig -a or ip link as root to see the network devices installed on your system. More info here

5. Update the system and installi other goodies

Update the system and install the core packages:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-get  --install-recommends install live-boot dbus  linux-image-686-pae

Now for some utils:

# apt-get  --install-recommends install grub-pc squashfs-tools aufs-tools man manpages zip unzip bzip2 xz-utils  

WARNING: do not install grub on the MBR!

the sound:

# apt-get install --install-recommends alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-tools

let's install some firmwares (mostly non-free) in order to make wifi cards working without hassles

# apt-get --install-recommends install firmware-linux firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer firmware-atheros firmware-brcm80211 firmware-intelwimax firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-zd1211

6. Setting up Language and Regional Settings

Install locales package, change the keyboard layout and the timezone:

# apt-get --install-recommends install  console-data keyboard-configuration tzdata
# dpkg-reconfigure locales console-data keyboard-configuration tzdata

(if you don't want localization simply leave locales as it is)

7. Exit from chroot
Set root password and do some cleanup:

# apt-get clean
# passwd
# umount /proc /dev/pts /sys
# rm -r /tmp/*
# rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
# history -c

press CTRL-D to exit chroot

Step 4 - Building a locales module to save space on the final ISO (Optional)

Inside the $HOME/livecd directory create a folder for locales

# mkdir -p core_locales/usr/share/locales
# cp -r chroot/usr/share/locales/* core_locales/usr/share/locales/
# rm -r chroot/usr/share/locales/*

and then create a module called 000-core_locales.squashfs

# mksquashfs core_locales binary/live/000-core_locales.squashfs -b 1M -comp xz -Xbcj x86

Step 5 - Building the ISO

To build the ISO we will be using grub2 instead of syslinux because it's more useful and has a lot of features. Grub2 allows you not only to boot your LiveCD but even to boot up the system installed on the PC even if your MBR has been screwed up.

Move to your working directory and create some folders and files

$ cd livecd
$ mkdir -p binary/boot/grub/
$ mkdir binary/live/
$ touch binary/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Now let's copy the kernel with the initial ramdisk and make a squashfs filesystem. We will use TAB autocompletion here because the version of the kernel might change

# mv chroot/boot/vmlinuz-[TAB] binary/live/vmlinuz
# mv chroot/boot/initrd-[TAB] binary/live/initrd.img
# mksquashfs chroot binary/live/000-core.squashfs -b 1M -comp xz -Xbcj x86

Note: when the initrd looks inside the live directory of the LiveCD it will mount every file with the .squashfs extension  that will find. This feature is the key that will make our debian bootable system behave like Porteus. If you don't feel comfortable about naming the compressed filesystem "000-filesystem.squashfs" use "filesystem.squashfs" instead.

Let's create the bootloader entries. Paste this inside the binary/boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "Debian Jessie 8.0 (persistence)" {
linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live persistence
initrd /live/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Debian Jessie 8.0 (no persistence)" {
linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live
initrd /live/initrd.img
}

and finally let's create the ISO:

$ grub-mkrescue -o debian.iso binary/

Step 6 - Installing Updates

Recently Debian was updated to version 8.1. To install these updates enter inside chroot and mount the necessary filesystems (See step 3 pass 1), then run

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Then exit the chroot and recreate the locale modules and the ISO by deleting the files inside the binary/live directory and recreating them (See Step 3 pass 7, Step 4 and Step 5).

Tell me if you want me to describe the whole process in depth. As always report any bugs smile

Enjoy  big_smile

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-09-23 12:56:11)

#3 2015-05-26 22:53:28

Michele13
#! Member

if there's something that I missed you can tell it here. Why do we need to run

dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

while making the live cd? did I need to install headers? They are needed only for compiling software right?
Sorry If I'm making all these post in a single topic but this is to make everything polite...

EDIT:
In the next post I will talk about creating a LiveUSB  using Grub2 and make enable persistence. Don't forget to test the ISO and report me errors, problems and suggestions. smile

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-27 13:04:05)

#4 2015-05-28 11:21:50

Michele13
#! Member

3. Live USB Installation

It's time to install our little system in our removable drive and to make it persistent! cool

EDIT:  I've split the post in two to make things more easy and clear to follow. Persistence is a complex argument that deserves it's own post

CHANGESLOG:

- first draft (Incomplete)
- added more explanations about weird commands
- split the post in two. see next post for persistence
* completed section and made minor fixes to the structure of the article

Step 1 - Copy the system on the Removable Drive

Insert the disc of the system in the optical drive or mount the ISO using the terminal:

# mkdir /mnt/iso 
# mount -o loop ./livecd/debian.iso /mnt/iso

Info: more informations about mounting devices can be found here

Insert your removable drive and using a file manager (or the terminal it's your choice) move to the location where you have mounted the ISO or the optical media.  Copy all the content on your target device which must have a filesystem that is supported by grub2 (ext*/fat/ntfs/etc)

When you have finished with manipulating devices or files that are mounted remember to unmount them. Let's unmount the ISO with:

# umount /mnt/iso 

Step 2 - Install Grub to MBR

now from a terminal let's install the bootloader on the MBR. but first we must know what is our device

# fdisk -l

which should print an output like this:

Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders, total 117210240 sectors
Unit = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 byte
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000762f2

Device     Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048    73465855    36731904   83  Linux
/dev/sda2        93945856   115130367    10592256    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3       115132414   117209087     1038337    5  Esteso
/dev/sda4        73465856    93945855    10240000   83  Linux
/dev/sda5       115132416   117209087     1038336   82  Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 16.0 GB, 15999172608 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1945 cylinders, total 31248384 sectors
Unit = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 byte
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000f1d56

Device      Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *        2048    31248383    15623168    b  W95 FAT32

Now we know that the disk where we are going to install the MBR is /dev/sdb but where is the first partition mounted? This command should answer our question:

$ mount | grep -i /dev/sdb1 | cut -d " " -f3

which for me says:

/mnt/sdb1

Info:
The mount command, in this case, is used to display all devices mounted on the system. It's output is used as argument for another command (through a pipe), grep which scans the output of mount for each recurrence of the expression "/dev/sdb1"; finally the output of grep is passed to the cut command that divides the input in multiple portions for every occurrence of an empty space this occurrence is called delimiter and is set using the -d argoument. In this case I want to see what's between the third and the fourth occurrence of space character, which is the mount point of /dev/sdb1

Now Iet's run grub-install:

# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sdb1 /dev/sdb

Enjoy  cool

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-29 10:25:36)

#5 2015-05-28 11:41:45

damo
#! gimpbanger

Michele13 wrote:

You: What is that strange command that you did?? Am I supposed to remember that  long number? and what is dd??

dd --help

wink

You could use "bs=1M", if it makes it any easier. It is usually recommended to do a sync afterwards, so add "&& sync" at the end of the command.

Last edited by damo (2015-05-28 11:42:15)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#6 2015-05-28 12:29:28

Michele13
#! Member

damo wrote:
Michele13 wrote:

You: What is that strange command that you did?? Am I supposed to remember that  long number? and what is dd??

dd --help

wink

You could use "bs=1M", if it makes it any easier. It is usually recommended to do a sync afterwards, so add "&& sync" at the end of the command.

Thanks for the report damo, I was going to explain the command that I used into an info box. I used bs=1000000 because I want the block size to be 1000KB instead of 1024 because today when we buy flash drives of  a certain amount of Gigabytes the unit of size is NOT true Gigabyte which is 1024MB, but it's 1000MB! dd uses the correct way to calculate the size of a file, however a lot of software uses the correct way to calculate size. See here

Can you answer the question of the third post? I still did not get answer smile

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-28 13:15:22)

#7 2015-05-28 13:49:32

Michele13
#! Member

3. Persistence

Let's finally talk about persistence. There are two type of persistence: the persistence on a file container and the persistence on partition

CHANGESLOG:

* first draft

Persistence file

let's create an empty file of the size of 1GB called "persistence" on our drive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sdb1/persistence bs=1000000 count=1000

Answer: the dd command is a unix utility used to copy and convert files, we are creating a file full that contains nothing (in=/dev/zero) that is named "persistence" and is located in /mnt/sdb1 (of=/mnt/sdb1/persistence), to specify the unit of size of the file we are using the block size parameter, that is set to 1MB (1000000 bytes), and the count parameter; so we are creating a file composed by 1000 blocks of 1MB. (bs=1000000 count=1000).

Note: There are two definitions of Gigabyte, someone use the decimal definition (USB Storage Drive vendors) and others (some programs like dd) use the binary definition, we are going to use the decimal one. More info here

Now let's format this in ext4 without journaling.

# mkfs.ext4 -F /mnt/sdb1/persistence -O ^has_journal

mount it on a directory:

# mkdir /mnt/persistence
# mount -o loop /mnt/sdb1/persistence /mnt/persistence

and finally create a file named persistence.conf and unmount everything

# echo "/ union" > /mnt/persistence/persistence.conf
# umount /mnt/persistence

Persistence partition

This way is the more simple and allows you to allocate more than 4GB of space for persistence if you installed the system on a FAT32 partition.

Using your favorite partition tool (I suggests use GParted) resize the FAT32 partition in order to make some space to make a second ext4 partition labeled "persistence". Now let's disable the journaling.

Assuming that the persistence partition is /dev/sdb2 type in the terminal:

# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdb2

Tip: You can check if your persistence partition or file has the journal activated by typing:

# dumpe2fs [TARGET] 2>/dev/null | grep -i has_journal 

if it displays something you need it means that you need to disable it in order to extend your flash memory's life

Now mount the persistence partition  and create a persistence.conf file inside it with thus content:

/ union

Good Luck smile

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-28 14:51:17)

#8 2015-05-28 18:27:36

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Michele13 wrote:

[...]

# apt-get install [...] grub-pc

This will remove grub-efi in UEFI systems and render them unable to upgrade to a new kernel version (specifically, it will stop the system from being able to update the GRUB configuration and I'm pretty sure APT will throw up an error and fail at that point).

You need to install locales as well before attempting to reconfigure it.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-05-28 18:48:04)

#9 2015-05-28 19:31:12

Michele13
#! Member

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Michele13 wrote:

[...]

# apt-get install [...] grub-pc

This will remove grub-efi in UEFI systems and render them unable to upgrade to a new kernel version (specifically, it will stop the system from being able to update the GRUB configuration and I'm pretty sure APT will throw up an error and fail at that point).

You need to install locales as well before attempting to reconfigure it.

So what should I install instead of grub-pc?

#10 2015-05-28 19:45:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Michele13 wrote:

So what should I install instead of grub-pc?

I have no idea -- this guide will only work for non-UEFI system at the moment.

In Arch, GRUB will install in either EFI or non-EFI systems depending on the flags passed. This is not possible in Debian as the EFI and non-EFI versions are split into two separate packages which are not co-installable.

I suggest you place a prominent warning at the top of the guide stating that this won't work for UEFI systems until you figure out how to make it work in such systems.

As far as I can tell, this guide will produce a live ISO with nothing on it except a command-line prompt and the GNU utilities: am I right or have I missed something here?

#11 2015-05-28 20:25:54

Michele13
#! Member

For Now it will provide a Live Iso with a grub2 bootloader, GNU Utils, non-free wireless firmwares, tools to use the aufs filesystem and squashfs but this will be expanded soon smile
Is there a way to use small headers to make subpararaphs like in HTML? I need them to split the third part of the first tutorial to make the Stage 3 more simple to follow smile

#12 2015-05-28 20:30:28

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

http://crunchbang.org/forums/help.php#bbcode

You really need to put a warning at the top for people with UEFI systems -- this guide will b0rk their machine as it stands at the moment.

#13 2015-05-28 20:37:19

Michele13
#! Member

I put a WARNING on the first topic so the reader will know the danger smile

#14 2015-05-28 20:52:26

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

^ Thank you smile

#15 2015-05-28 21:16:02

Michele13
#! Member

I'm glad you're showing that you're showing some support to this project instead of ignoring it, that would be sad for me as I'm doing a lot of work. I'm trying to make more tidy what I've wrote, correcting errors of syntax and other oversights. I'm writing the same guide on a HTML document to make it downloadable for everyone if you wish. Maintaining the HTML version can be hard, trough, as the white background and the black font made my eyes tired  yikes  sad

#16 2015-05-29 04:46:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@Michele13 I'm not ignoring this project and appreciate the work you're putting into it.

I'm just not qualified to make any comments. This is beyond my range of experience/ability.

There may be other forum members who feel the same, so don't be disappointed by a lack of comments.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#17 2015-05-29 05:43:36

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

The first part interests me. I was doing some homework on getting an arm install going this evening and figured out the rpi2 has no ability to boot from usb, nor does it have anything like a bios. As near as I can tell, I am going to need to do the whole debootstrap/chroot thing to get a basic install going, with the caveat that the rpi2 has some non-free firmware that will need to be pulled off of the rpi website. This looks to be the only way to get an arm build tracking debian instead of raspberry pi's repositories. I am going to work on this part and see if I can get a basic command line system up. If so, then the BunsenLabs netinstall script would need to be modified to track armhf repositories. I don't see the point of a Live Build however, unless there are other arm boards out there that can boot via usb.

I will work on this as I get time and I think Michele's tutorial in the first part should get me moving on the debootstrap/chroot portion of things.

#18 2015-05-29 14:55:44

Michele13
#! Member

Downloads

I finished to write the single page HTML version of this tutorial to download and read offline! big_smile
It will be updated as new parts will come out smile

EDIT: the Google Drive folder dedicated to the project can be found here

User: root
Password: toor

I successfully built some modules, in the next posts I will show you how I did it.

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-08-12 18:12:22)

#19 2015-06-01 15:22:29

Michele13
#! Member

Would you rather have a smaller ISO or one that has man, docs and locales built in?

#20 2015-06-01 16:59:06

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Michele13 wrote:

Would you rather have a smaller ISO or one that has man, docs and locales built in?

Please leave the man pages in, I'm completely lost without them.

As for locales: surely everyone speaks English so that's all you need, right?
]:D  8o

#21 2015-06-01 17:07:18

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Michele13 wrote:

Please leave the man pages in, I'm completely lost without them.

As for locales: surely everyone speaks English so that's all you need, right?
]:D  8o

Sorry I only speak American  {)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#22 2015-06-01 20:30:38

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ "I only speak two languages - English, and bad English!"

#23 2015-06-01 23:00:55

Michele13
#! Member

I think that man pages should be left too, I will place locales page in a separate module, can the locales directory's content be deleted safely without damaging English localization?

#24 2015-06-03 17:40:51

Michele13
#! Member

4. Module Creation

CHANGESLOG:

- first draft
- made better description of universal modules and system related modules (thanks saintless)
* fixed mksquashfs command arguments
* fixed xorg minimal installation

there are two types of modules:

- the universal module: Safe for dpkg database module (it will probbaly not work on different system which has some dependencies missing compared to the system the module was made, but it will not break dpkg database (var/lib/dpkg) because the important files are renamed and do not overwrite the existing /var/lib/dpkg/status, available and info files).
- the system related module: Dangerous for different system module and better do not share it (it might or might not work on different system, but it will break dpkg database with sure changing the information about the installed packages listed in /var/lib/dpkg/status and available files). Next time you try to install some package with such system related (dangerous) module you will have broken dpkg (apt-get). If it is live system it will break only your save file content, but you have to start with fresh save file reproducing all the changes again.

If you're going to create a module of big dimensions I suggest you to use a big ext* partition or a persistence file.
To build the module we are goint to use the AUFS filesystem (and hopefully learn how it works).
AUFS (Another Union FileSystem) is a special filesystem that merges the content of many directories into one. This technology is used to make LiveCD work, infact inside the initial ramdisk the init script that is executed mounts a read only filesystem and, using aufs it is merged with another directory that is mounted with a temporary filesystem (tmpfs) stored in RAM.

Important: AUFS can't merge two folders if they reside inside an aufs filesystem. Make sure that the one directory does not reside inside the aufs root.

Create a working folder inside your storage mount point (eg /tmp/xorg) move into it and create two directories called target and union.

let's merge the 000-filesystem.squashfs file that is mounted (read only) on /lib/live/mount/rootfs/000-filesystem.squashfs/ and a writable directory (/tmp/xorg/target/)

# mount -t aufs -o br=/tmp/xorg/target:/lib/live/mount/rootfs/000-filesystem.squashfs/ none /tmp/xorg/union

let's chroot into it and mount proc, sys and devpts.

# chroot target
# mount -t proc none /proc
# mount -t sysfs none /sys
# mount -t devpts none /dev/pts

Make sure that internet is working inside the chroot, if it does exit the chroot and type:

# cp /etc/resolv.conf target/etc/
# xhost +local:

Now let's begin. In this tutorial we are creating an Xorg module, which can be installed in the usual way, recommended if you're a beginner (install xorg), or using in it's minimal but still perfectly functional form (install xserver-xorg, xinit and x11-xserver-utils)

Inside the chroot type:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install xserver-xorg xinit x11-xserver-utils

When you've finished give these commands to exit the chroot and partially clean the system:

# apt-get clean
# umount /proc /dev/pts /sys
# history -c
(Press CTRL+D)
# umount union
(if it fails try unmount -l union)

This prevented avoided to include some garbage inside your module, however the cleanup process is not completed. Move into the target directory, we are going to delete a lot of specific system files that may prevent the new module to work well.

# rm target/var/lib/apt/lists/*
# rm target/etc/resolv.conf
# rm target/etc/menu.old 
# rm target/var/lib/alsa/asound.state
# rm target/root/.bash_history
# rm target/root/.xsession-errors
# rm -rf target/root/.cache
# rm -rf target/root/.thumbnails
# rm -rf target/tmp/*
# rm -rf target/var/cache
# rm -rf target/var/log
# rm -rf target/.unionfs
# rm target/etc/blkid-cache
# rm target/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent*
# rm target/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases
# rm target/var/lib/dhcpcd/*.lease
# rm -r target/.wh*

to make the module universal you must move two files with these commands:

# mv target/var/lib/dpkg/info target/var/lib/dpkg/infonew
# mv target/var/lib/dpkg/status target/var/lib/dpkg/statusnew
# mv target/var/lib/dpkg/available target/var/lib/dpkg/availablenew

Now you can squashfs the module with

# mksquashfs target [name of module] -b 1048576 -comp xz -Xbcj x86

and put it on the live folder of your boot media. Choose name that allows the module to be loaded after the last one that you created, this is useful with system related modules so your system won't be screwed up.

Enjoy! Report me any bugs!  cool

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-06-04 15:05:23)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-06-04 23:44:26

francois.e
#! Member

Keep on with the great work michele13.

Thanks.

Board footer