SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-30 18:07:56

Michele13
#! Member

How to manage foreign software in your linux environment?

Hi, as there are a lot of software that does not need to be "installed" such as firefox, telegram, winetricks and java, I was wondering where I could put them... I was thinking about ~/local/

So firefox would be installed inside ~/local/firefox
java inside ~/local/java and so on

the program executable then would be linked inside a ~/bin directory

How about it?  smile

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-01 13:21:58)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-01 07:00:44

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Re: How to manage foreign software in your linux environment?

If it's a program that I can share among more than one distro, e.g. Firefox,  I'll create a folder for the program under my shared bin folder on my data partition, delete the existing ~/bin folder, then create a new ~/bin folder soft linking it to the shared bin folder.  Otherwise, I create another folder called bin2 under my home folder and place the program folder there.

Java doesn't need to be installed?  I've never heard of that trick, although I'm becoming of the mind that Java is becoming irrelevant unless you have other programs that rely on it.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-01 07:03:00)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#3 2015-05-01 09:31:26

Michele13
#! Member

Yes, I use it to play Minecraft! tongue

#4 2015-05-01 09:36:28

smacz
#! Junkie

Michele13 As this is FOSS, you have the option of relocating, or at very least uninstalling whatever software you deem unnecessary. For me, I prefer vifm instead of thunar, so I typically uninstall thunar on my installs. You may have a similar preference on how you set up Firefox. Let us know in the Feedback and Suggestions Index.

If you're looking for an `apt` command it's:

apt-get remove --purge <package> 

I noticed that you posted this in "Off Topic/General Chat". Was this in regards to a non-#!/BunsenLabs distro?

Michele13 wrote:

the program executable then would be linked inside a ~/bin directory

How about it?  :)

How about what now? Is this a suggestion for BunsenLabs? There is a forum index for that.

Ultimately, I see this as either an Idea or a Suggestion for BunsenLabs Hydrogen.

If you've found a cool hack that lets you enjoy mincraft, let us know in the Tutorials page. Chances are, you're not the only one who likes to game on linux :)

Last edited by smacz (2015-05-01 09:42:25)

#5 2015-05-01 10:35:35

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

/opt for 'bundles' like firefox and Adobe Reader, /usr/local/ for 'regular' but third-party software that installs itself into bin, share, lib etc directories.

In /usr/local, use xstow or GNU stow to manage 3rd-party software. For example, you would

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/coolprogram-git
make
sudo make install

and then

cd /usr/local/stow
sudo xstow coolprogram-git

in order to 'install' the 'package' (place symlinks to coolprogram-git/bin/coolprogram into /usr/local/bin and so on), and

cd /usr/local/stow
sudo xstow -D coolprogram-git

to 'uninstall' the 'package' again. This way, you can keep your file system uncluttered and actually removing all files of a program from your system would take only a

cd /usr/local/stow
xstow -D $program
sudo rm -rf $program

The best way to manage software after making your own packages (a bit of a hassle with Debian, more simple with Gentoo (ebuilds) and Arch (PKGBUILDs), though tools like checkinstall can assist you).

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#6 2015-05-01 13:20:59

Michele13
#! Member

I was asking that because there may be users that do not have root or sudo permissions to install their packages, and there are a lot of software that is not officially packaged for some kind of distibutions, recently I've started to use Porteus Linux (based on slackware) and some software are NOT included by default, however they are provided as binaries on their official website and can be run without installation...I'm learning to make debian packages, but they are not built to be included in a debian repository but to be used for personal use. I'm really interested in tricks to use with openbox, debian, conky, the shell. Let's suppose that I build a local repository using the dpkg-scanpackages tool, how can I update my local repository without having to rescan the same packages more than once?

P.S I've found this on the web, maybe it can help you too to learn how to build debian packages for personal use:

http://linuxconfig.org/easy-way-to-crea … repository

Last edited by Michele13 (2015-05-01 13:42:19)

#7 2015-05-01 18:34:58

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Michele13 wrote:

P.S I've found this on the web, maybe it can help you too to learn how to build debian packages for personal use:

http://linuxconfig.org/easy-way-to-crea … repository

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/main … ex.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository

Straight from the horses mouth...
wink

Board footer