SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-22 07:48:50

ianbong

Help! How to reinstall windows from crunchbang

Hello,

I have an old Acer Aspire D255 netbook which originally had Windows XP. I installed Crunchbang over it but now I want to reinstall Windows.

I think since I wiped the partition including the Acer recovery one, it's not possible for me to factory reset it. I found and downloaded an iso image of Win XP, prepared a USB and already set the boot sequence in my netbook to boot from USB first.

Problem is, it recognises the usb, but does nothing and still goes into Crunchbang.

Any ideas?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-04-22 12:16:57

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Help! How to reinstall windows from crunchbang

Lots of problems and traps when messing with windoze on linux. Have you searched the forums?

A quick google search also comes up with this as a possible answer for example.
Also have a read of this.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-04-22 13:42:18

ianbong

I tried searching, there's no specific answers. I have another windows machine, so I tried Rufus. Still it won't work.

#4 2015-04-22 14:13:36

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

I would suggest buying a windows installation CD, but presumably your netbook doesn't have an optical drive. Still, you could use an external USB optical drive. Depending on the model's specs it may be hard to install a version of windows that is available for sale today.

#5 2015-04-22 16:54:10

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Hi ianbong   It's probably not appropriate to mention the site by name but if you're in an "Arrr me matey" kinda mood, a quick search there with "usb" and "windowsXP" may yield a promising result.
My AAO d250 was purchased from ebay with windows 7 installed and even though I maxed the memory on the machine at 2 gigs, it was still not enough to use win7 comfortably. So, would agree completely with orionthehunter and suggest you stick with XP.

Peace

#6 2015-04-22 18:44:29

ohnonot
...again

damo probably posted some useful links, but my experience is that it's better to install win xp from cd.
i created several win xp cds from linux, it's just the normal dd stuff.
but if you like the challenge, hey, why not.
after installing win xp you'll have to boot some live linux one more time to re-install grub to the mbr (usually grub-install /dev/sda) => voilá, dual booting!

Board footer