SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#551 2015-03-21 22:58:35

Tuber
#! Member

Re: The end.

Nooooooo!!! So sad...  8.(

Well, thanks for the great ride anyway. !# was amazing, and I also disagree that it is no longer viable. Been seeding the images on my sever for years. Time to take them down, I guess.

Corenominal, you and your distro are awesome! It is truly a great loss to the Linux community that !# has come to an end. Thank you for the many years of happy !#ing.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have to go curl up into a fetal position and have a good cry...  wink

Seriously, though, Philip, I wish you well in all your future endeavors. Good luck to you, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for offering up such a great distribution, and for supporting it for as long as you did.

Aloha, Timothy

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Be excellent to each other!

#552 2015-03-22 23:39:53

nunolf

After almost 20 years poking my fingers in the *nix world I never ever had such proud of a distro. Cheers Core from Utrecht/Netherlands, an honour to have met #! world. Keep on banging your life Philip.
Nuno

#553 2015-03-23 17:36:13

42erik

For the last 5 years crunchbang was the only linux-distro in my house, on both my desktop and netbook (apart from raspbian-builds on the pi).. It has been a pleasure.

Taking up the advice of corenominal and looking into vanilla debian lxde... but learnt a lot from #!, especially how i want my computer to work and respond big_smile

Thank you, dear sir.

#554 2015-03-24 13:27:20

williamt31

^^ Ditto, I've been playing off and on the last few weeks (as time permits) with Debian net install, stable and testing and looking at what is different and how to configure to bring it as close to #! as I can.  I've been debating trying sourcing unstable to keep as close to a rolling release as I can but I'm not sure I want to deal with that again.  (I tried archbang a couple years back, I got tired of it breaking and having to wait for enough people in the community to encounter the same problem then waiting for people to figure out how to fix it.)  For the forseeable future I intend to keep my #! iso on a cd and I have it on a usb stick for emergency use.  Between that and parted magic I can do anything smile

#555 2015-03-24 16:40:14

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

williamt31 wrote:

Between that and parted magic I can do anything smile

Great attitude!  cool

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#556 2015-03-25 13:54:03

CaptainBang

Hello.  I am a distro-hopper.  At least, that's what I am to #!.

We spent a few days together, after I'd made the decision to move on from Debian stable.  #! showed me the minimalism I didn't even realize I was looking for.  #! made me ask questions:  What's a WM?  What's a DE?  Why was everything I'd used up until then the way it was, and did it have to be that way?  Couldn't it be made better?

In other words, #! was the first distro I really fell for.  I wanted to learn more, and I did, ultimately moving on in the process.

We didn't stay together long, but #! left her mark in a number of ways, the greatest of which was Openbox--the WM I still enjoy today.  Please keep the forums up.  In their wealth of information, they are second only to Arch's.

Thanks for being there when I needed you.

#557 2015-03-26 06:39:27

tariqk

Hey, corenominal, I've been knee-deep in a house move and work and my wife's pregnancy, so I completely missed this. Thank you for bringing this distro up, because this was the FIRST distro (and I mean the FIRST) where I felt in complete control (mostly). I'm still a bit in shock.

I wish you the best in whatever you do, because you do deserve it!

#558 2015-03-26 22:49:23

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

42erik wrote:

Taking up the advice of corenominal and looking into vanilla debian lxde... but learnt a lot from #!, especially how i want my computer to work and respond big_smile

...or, you could try your hand at Wally - a Waldorf replica on a Jessie netinstall and wait for the BunsenLabs offering.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-03-28 11:02:25)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#559 2015-03-28 02:35:25

King_of_spirals

You don't know what you got, till it's gone.... AHhhhHAHHHHhhhhA THE AGONY!!! gawd bang it man!

Well I'm sorry #! will never die... the community will fork it like it already has done semi-effectively. Just to keep the revolutionists happy with their age old dying computers in basements, so they don't flip out and try to overthrow the government just yet. Like when the True Crypt guys called it quits and everyone thought something might of been wrong with the code. Being that true crypt is such a great piece of encryption software they already raised like $70,000 (might of been less) for a team to do an audit of their code. They did the audit found a few bugs and vulerabilities and then it was forked.

Maybe the revolutionists don't care so much. But fork away gents! I suppose now would be a great chance for everyone to brainstorm ideas and get on the band wagon for new and interesting content. As I'm sure people are already doing. It's hard for me to pin down whats missing with #! I mean I can never put my finger on it. I mean we always just end up building our linux experience around the linux kernel and the base install. Everything else is just programs, which are so numerous we could paint the sky with them.

I'm imagining builder references and themes cuppled with a minalist desktop. Maybe some yellow caution tape... throw in some interesting wrenches and bolts. Anything to create a new spark to attract... investors.... MuahahAHAAHAHAHAHA

#560 2015-03-29 07:57:00

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

@corenominal

Thanks for the Distro...
While I have been a linux Distrohopper since 1995, I continue to keep a partition for #! it was a great concept.
Really enjoyed the forums and it's people (great moderators)
Good luck in future projects. I am anxious to see what your develop next.

Best Regards
sqlpython

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1Slackware 14Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#561 2015-04-01 08:07:18

Jimbo_G
#! Barcalounger

Just found out about this, as I'd moved away from #! on my PC. Thanks to corenominal for the distro and to everyone else involved for building such a great community, I've learned so much.

In a way I'm kind of glad that crunchbang has ended like this - a lot of collaborative projects implode (or explode!) because they get too big or because the original creators move on to other stuff.

#562 2015-04-01 16:28:09

g3n1k

@corenominal thanks you give me best experience of using linux, this is the longest distro ever i used, this is the coolest distro which fit my daily as developer, this distro accompanying me in the best learned time, countless what i have learned from using crunchbang
hope the best for you, thanks man

#563 2015-04-04 12:38:56

daslimpoet

@corenominal, I registered just so I could comment and wish you the best moving forward.

I'm no Linux aficionado by any stretch of the imagination. I'm still very much a Windows guy, although I've tried a number of different flavors of Linux over the years and found #! to be the most useful right out the box. It's light, fast, portable, feature rich, user friendly, and compatible with my legacy hardware and a number of useful applications. I'd be interested to know what you'd recommend as a better alternative, considering you no longer feel it is a value. Nonetheless, for the time being, I'm excited about #! and what I can do with it.

Thanks and best wishes!

#564 2015-04-05 02:09:38

hhh
Cityspeak

daslimpoet wrote:

I'd be interested to know what you'd recommend as a better alternative, considering you no longer feel it is a value.

If I may be so bold as to speak for corenominal, install jessie...
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … ie_di_rc2/
... and set up your system as you wish. Also BunsenLabs.  We're still getting our act together...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=21
https://github.com/BunsenLabs

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#565 2015-04-06 18:17:21

pantalasso

Crunchbang best distro arond so far!
Sad it ended!

Thank you!  big_smile

#566 2015-04-09 22:33:40

linuxreign
#! Junkie

I have been away for some time, but I always come back. Certainly sad news.
For me #! has always been more than a system, this is a Community of very interesting and friendly people.

Farewell Corenominal and the greatest Thank You!,  you are and always will be, The Man!

Best Regards,

LinuxReign

Linux Registered User 445731

#567 2015-04-12 09:39:22

hugbear

Sad, sad news sad.

First and foremost: a big Thank You, corenomial, for giving us such a slick distro that stopped my hopping dead in its track some years ago.
And Thank You to the members and keepers of this cool community.

For all the things you got right, corenomial, you really got one completely wrong, namely that #! "currently has no value"!
All the distros out there seem to cater for one of two kinds of users: either the absolute beginner or the enligntened guru. What #! did was silently, reliably and relentlessly fill the gap between these two and build the ladder for the beginners to climb "the wall".

So sad to see it go, so hopeful it's offspring(s) will carry on the same pathway.

Last edited by hugbear (2015-04-12 09:39:40)

#568 2015-04-13 19:00:19

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

^ Based on a recent article in Linux Voice, Core seems to have been smitten by Gnome.  hmm

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-04-13 19:00:36)

Linux User #586672

#569 2015-04-13 19:21:07

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video)

Poor Papa Smurf, he'll be cryin' blue tears!

#570 2015-04-13 20:17:21

vic
#! by Default

Gnome... imagining the horror...  yikes

Time to move on!#

#571 2015-04-13 21:20:41

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I know ... he gives birth to the greatest secret in the Linux world and then is kidnapped by gnomes!

It's all the fault of the Wicked Gnome of the West!  lol

Oh the shame of it!   hmm

#572 2015-04-14 08:13:39

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video)

Poor Papa Smurf, he'll be cryin' blue tears!

lol  lol

Linux User #586672

#573 2015-04-15 19:11:48

macaronicheese

Thank you for all your hard work. I've really enjoyed using CrunchBang for the past few years. I want you to know that I also really appreciate the announcement- so many good projects die suddenly and silently, leaving the fans questioning if they should wait or move on. Happy coding!

#574 2015-04-16 18:53:34

hugbear

I keep prowling this site, hoping that some day the bleak question on the homepage will get it's well-deserved answer: "No way in hell!"...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#575 2015-04-16 23:02:07

osp

"Little" late, but still I want to respond to this tragedy   :8

corenominal wrote:

CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value

This is from my point of view a fat lie  8)

I am constantly trying different distros and crunchbang does not have any equal. The Linux distro is a certain term for me. It is a bundle of sane defaults to someone's preferences. There are thousands of distros out there and every has its meaning: it covers some niche space in user pool of demands and provides HUGE save of time to these users, who are now forced to spend their time to configure and tweak some unsatisfying distro to look and operate to their liking. (I spend hours to make debian + xfce a usable distro - followed their official guide and result was buggy cr@p, unpolished and broken)

Everything what author said were his rights, but instead of this one sentence which seems to be a false excuse - he should just say: I don't have time or need to support this project. I am happy with xubuntu (or <blank>) now and I decided to spend my time on something else for a change.

That would be completely fine. But saying that crunchbang has no value is a slap to face for me  cool

Other than that, you are a great guy and I wish you crunching and banging in something else  tongue

Board footer