SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-24 02:34:08

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I won't let you die #! GAWD DAMN IT!!!!! ...*chargin paddles* CLEAR!

So I have been trying to get a second machine setup with Linux.  Solydk 64 bit, but that is now going to stable and not rolling or semi rolling release.  Gnome Ubuntu, but was still kind of choppy and no transparent terminal.  Also when I tried to remove firefox, it removed core components of gnome 3... I really missing #!, but no Janice happening tried to roll my own but a minimal ubuntu 14.04 32 bit and 64 bit, locked up on installing keyboard layout!, Elementary OS Luna, looks gorgeous!  Runs super fast, then after installing some themes, no window borders to minimize, maximize or close windows.  And no pretty theme's or anyway to change them!

@#$% IT!

I'll try out Manjaro KDE 0.9.0 release!  Super Pretty!  Nice window effects with Kwin.  Shit idle is like 1gb of ram!?!?!?  OooOoOooo I do like pacman and yaourt!  Dang it installed my Nvidia driver for me without me selecting or doing anything!!! NICE!  Well got some Office work to do, oh good Libreoffice is there...what??!!? Missing a dependency.. Ok let me uninstall it...What??!!?! It is not installed already!?!?!? Confused...

*HEAD DESK*

...*light shining in my eye*...whats that DVD-R blinding me... Waldorf 64...

Installed fast, Switched it to Jessie repos...

Couple fixes, Installed Dropbox...Oh LOOK!  Dropbox icon works on tint2 panel but on NO OTHER LINUX DISTRO I HAVE USED!!!!  Libreoffice installed no problem, installed Steam with Nvidia libraries..oh crap no It boots straight to CLI...just install smxi and the latest nvidia driver thanks to the wealth of #! Forum I remember using it from...FIXED!  Installed Playonlinux missing a dependency for Wine.. no problem!  Fixed it!
Just Perfect #! is...

And you see CRUNCHBANG #!...this is why it CAN'T BE THE END!!!  I WILL NOT LET YOU DIE!!! As long as I still have breath in my lung, I will continue to roll you over to the next stable release and when you break I will fix it because you and the community taught me how to...  It was you all along that I found my place in the Linux World.  You showed me the power of the terminal, and to look at config files with a text editor then nano and not be afraid.  You showed just how customizable openbox can be! 

CRUNCHBANG IS NOT DEAD!  It still lives in all of us!

LONG LIVE #! 

Crunchbang Waldorf 64 bit switched to Jessie to make Janice running on a old q6600, 8gb of ddr2 gtx 560ti and a 2tb WD green drive (dont forget to use idle3-tool to disable intellipark's timer!)  And it runs flawless...

I<3#!.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-24 07:55:38

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: I won't let you die #! GAWD DAMN IT!!!!! ...*chargin paddles* CLEAR!

#3 2015-03-24 12:36:24

spacex
ew
Website

Sure. No problem to keep Waldorf alive for anyone with the basic skills required to do it. It's doable for Jessie at least, and most likely for the release after then. I can't see any problem keeping a waldorf install alive and secure for at least the next 2-3 years. After that, it may require a bit more than basic skills, but it's also possible that nothing major changes, so that waldorf could stay alive for years and years to come, simply by upgrading to the current stable debian release at any time.

The best procedure is to switch sources to the next release somewhere in the middle of the cycle. A much better procedure than upgrading to the next stable every two years. Just because you get a year fixing issues as you go, instead of getting them all at once.

#4 2015-03-24 13:08:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#5 2015-03-24 13:09:45

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#6 2015-03-24 17:23:54

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

It's funny to me. We talk all the time about the aesthetics of Crunchbang and don't get me wrong, I loved them. However, I have been doing a bit of WM/DE hopping as I have been doing stuff lately that results in me breaking installs  mad to the point that I have difficulty restoring them. First was an inadvertant wipe of my externel USB. Then, I managed to somehow send grubx64.efi to /dev/null or someplace very like it (I really managed to lose the file somehow.) This final install, I slapped a Windows drive into my trusty testing laptop thinking to do a bios update and managed to mess things up when I went back to linux. I'm not the best at rescuing things once I end up at a grub rescue prompt. So I decided to check some things out.

I first tried Gnome3. I really tried to like Gnome3. That lasted maybe 2 hours and I couldn't stand it any more. I then decided to try Mate. Same thing. I just don't like it. I keep trying to right click to bring up my menu, etc. Stuff is inconveniently hidden and buried in menus. Plus, the stupid menu is all the way at the top left of the screen. So much mouse traveling every time I need a new terminal instance.

One of the aesthetic things that the whole openbox/tints/conky scheme brings off is this amazing workflow that is there when I need it and out of my way when I don't. I am that kind of guy that normally has a browser open with several tabs on it, 2-3 instances of whatever terminal, an editor or two depending if I am working with root files and/or home files, and possibly 2 instances of a file manager depending if I am doing work with root and/or home. Nothing I have used so far compares to openbox's workflow when that is the type of stuff you are doing. Right click to pull up a customized menu with the most important stuff listed at the top is just so convenient.

I have always said that good software is transparent. It has a double meaning, in that it is understandable in how to use/customize it to your needs but also it is transparent in that it does what it is supposed to do and has a tendency to disappear into your workflow. I dont have to think how to use it, it just works. Crunchbang had this amazing transparency that is so needed in the desktop/laptop world. Nothing else I have used really compares.

I threw conky in there as well, because I like having all of my pertinent system stats just a glance away.

If BunsenLabs lives up to this transparency of implementation as well as transparency of workflow, I know that it cannot help but be a success. I want to give props to the team and community for all the work in keeping a great thing going.

#7 2015-03-24 18:01:04

spacex
ew
Website

@tknomanzr

+1

#8 2015-03-24 19:34:42

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I totally agree!  Crunchbang is very efficent between being so lightweight and having a right click menu always where you need it and just opening your regularly used programs with a keyboard shortcut?!?! Perfection.   Crunchbang with its unique look and way that drew me to it and then kept me in, and grew to using terminal, ( I rarely if ever use synaptic and always use dpkg ).  And instead of using the shortcut menus, I learned where the files were located and just nano to it to edit config files etc.  it taught me to use debian and I fell in love with it. 

Also because of the great community to help and share with each other our success.  I could always find a way to do something on it I didn't think was possible. 

That's the other strength of crunchbang is the friendly and helpful community!  And I hope that these forums will keep alive and save the wealth of knowledge that has been posted .

#9 2015-03-29 06:20:07

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-03-29 06:21:27)

Board footer