SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-03-04 22:59:55

spacex
ew
Website

Re: Some thoughts about Debian and Openbox

porkpiehat wrote:

Downloading Tweak now, but at ~1G it is unlikely I will keep it, even if it does install on my Intel hardware.

I never said it was minimal. It even got Icedove, Filezilla, Gimp and lots of other stuff that most people don't need. It isn't at all intended to be a CrunchBang-replacement. It is the system that I use, with one exception. I use google-chrome, while it's chromium on that image. So it's my setup, in the same way that #! was Corenominals setup. The difference is that I'm not releasing a distro. I'm just sharing a Debian compilation with some of the pipemenus from CrunchBang.

I will make a minimal version later though, but I'm waiting for proper uefi-support in live-build, and also waiting for the fix of a bug in the Debian installer for Jessie. I will not make any serious attempt on a release until those things are fixed..

Put that aside. 1 G isn't all that much today. If you are going to make a generic image containing non-free. Now I'm going to take Linux Mint for a spin. That's 1.5 G smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-03-04 23:05:44

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Unia wrote:

Openbox will be around for a while, just as X will be. Besides that, has there been any official announcement that I missed about Openbox being discontinued? No commits on git do not mean that development has stopped!

^ This. Some of us are still using window managers that haven't been "in active development" for many years. Even if Openbox development stops (and I have not seen evidence this is true) it will continue to be usable for quite a while. In fact, for a window manager, "not in active development" is often a good thing.

#28 2015-03-04 23:07:29

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:
porkpiehat wrote:

Downloading Tweak now, but at ~1G it is unlikely I will keep it, even if it does install on my Intel hardware.

I never said it was minimal. It even got Icedove, Filezilla, Gimp and lots of other stuff that most people don't need.

OK. Now I am convinced I don't even need to try it. rm tweak-obf*

#29 2015-03-04 23:07:45

spacex
ew
Website

freistil wrote:

Yeah, that's the problem - shortly said, openbox is or will be a dead end.
It is a very good WM, I love it and have no need for something else, but times will change and you will start getting into trouble more and more, if you rely on some pieces of software, that are just not actual anymore.
I therefore would like to see a successor to openbox, that you can still use and that still has a stable future in 5 years.

Well, I'm not too bad in C I would say.
I've done some big projects, but never something like a DE or at least a WM.

I'm not all that worried. Whether it's Devuan or someone else, X and openbox will live for a long time. That's one good thing with those conservative oldtimers, they will split and fork whenever they don't agree with new development smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#30 2015-03-20 15:16:47

skbierm
#! Member

OpenBox ist still actively in development. Actually, there is version 3.6 since the 3rd of march with the following changelog:
3.6:
  * Added various new abilities to If action, including the <query> tag,
    matching class, name, role and window type.
  * Added ForEach action.
  * Restore the <center> option for window placement.
  * New GrowToFill action.
  * Updated Portuguese and Polish translations.
  * New Galician translation.
  * Added strict option to ToggleShowDesktop action.
  * Speed optimization in rendering code.
  * New <position> tag for ShowMenu action allows placing menus other
    than at the mouse cursor.
  * Fix some corner cases of relative position to work correctly.
  * Allow specifying multiple mousebinds in one tag as we already do
    for keybinds (separated by spaces, as "W-Return M-S-F3" for example).
  * Added option rebindOnMappingNotify option, on by default, which
    controls if we update binds when the keyboard layout changes at runtime.
  * The resize action now only considers the part of the client that is onscreen
    for purposes of picking an action to perform.
  * Make desktop actions non-interactive (means you can have more actions bound
    to a key after them, and the dialog disappears on a timer instead of when
    releasing the modifier keys).
  * obxprop is now not pathologically slow when printing very long arrays.
  * Fix menu accelerator underlines sometimes not showing up.
  * Fix so you can click menu entries before the menuHideDelay expires if it's
    a new click.
  * Don't read the X event fd to the poll set every time we reconfigure.
  * Fix some specialized button bitmaps not loading from the correct files.
    (toggled + pressed or hover would just be the base toggled image).
  * Various small bugfixes.

So I guess, eventually there will be a wayland compatible version.

Running #! on
* Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e420s, Intel Core i5-2430M, 8 GB Ram, 320 GB HD, 1366x768, Intel GMA HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6630M 2GB
* ASUS F55A-091D, Intel Pentium B980, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics, 1366x768
* Panasonic ToughBook CF-19, Intel Core Duo U7500, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel GMA 950, 1024x768 Touchdisplay

#31 2015-03-21 03:17:16

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@skbierm:  Nice find!  Are you using it?

20150320-01 edit:  Wow...I just checked the version of openbox under CrunchBang 11 and it's 3.5.0-7.  I would have thought it would be older.
20150320-02 edit:  v3.5.2-6 is in the Backports repo.  big_smile

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-03-21 03:20:58)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#32 2015-03-21 09:38:59

skbierm
#! Member

@KrunchTime: I'll compile it over the weekend and test it on one of my boxes. Worked, since Corenominal resigned, a bit on an own continuation, just for me with my own theme, new python tools, etc .... I'm digging every day a bit deeper ... and of cause keep an eye on Bunsen wink
I'm curious, when the first ISO show's up big_smile

Running #! on
* Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e420s, Intel Core i5-2430M, 8 GB Ram, 320 GB HD, 1366x768, Intel GMA HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6630M 2GB
* ASUS F55A-091D, Intel Pentium B980, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics, 1366x768
* Panasonic ToughBook CF-19, Intel Core Duo U7500, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel GMA 950, 1024x768 Touchdisplay

#33 2015-03-21 10:13:42

ohnonot
...again

i'm on the openbox mailing list and i can confirm that openbox development is very much active and alive.

#34 2015-03-21 14:31:37

flaneur
#! Member

pvsage wrote:

Regarding the (possible) demise of Openbox and the (eventual, they're been working on it for at least, what, four years, but I suppose it's inevitable) rise of Wayland, has anyone heard anything from the LXDE team? ...

I'm not exactly sure but LXDE and Razor-Qt devs pooled resources a while ago to come up with LXQt. You can read more here: http://lxqt.org/about/

Lubuntu is supposed to move to LXQt from LXDE. Whether that will happen by the time of the next LTS (16.04) is hard to say.

The impression I get is that the LXQt devs are quite impressed with KWin, the KDE window manager.

#35 2015-03-21 15:44:40

paxmark1
#! Junkie

I just use lxqt and openbox 3.5.2-8.  I don't know that all lxqt'ers love kwin, it is rather heavy from my reading and there are hiccups in the usage of it with lxqt, but kwin will be ported to Wayland.  I believe kwin is what is called a Tier 1 kde function which only contains qt, i.e. no kdelibs.

The near term, (the next two years?) will be kind to openbox.  If Wayland becomes super stable, agile and sensible, then the question of Openbox's viability without porting it to Wayland becomes more relevant. 

Until I stop using X, I will probably use openbox.  peace

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Board footer