SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-10 04:42:35

kenizl86

Why not continue...

This may be a n00b question, but why can't we just pick up where the creator left off? Since this (#!) is an open-source project, shouldn't the community be able to just pick up where he left off? Why fork #! into different projects when you could use the same, simple, beautiful formula already in place? Maybe I'm wrong and this can't be accomplished, but I guess I don't understand why #! can't go on living without it's original creator? Personally #! was the only Linux distro I actually loved. All the other ones had waaaaaaaayyyy too much clutter (what with the clunky DEs), and were way too.... un-simplistic? I don't know what it is, but whatever it was #! had it for me!

On a separate note, since BunsenLabs isn't up and #!++ is in Beta, I've decided to stoically continue using #!, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done to it to yank a few more months out of it. What repos need updating and such to keep it stable?

When life gives you lemons, chuck 'em at people.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-10 05:40:40

boromeus
#! Junkie

Re: Why not continue...

kenizl86 wrote:

This may be a n00b question, but why can't we just pick up where the creator left off? Since this (#!) is an open-source project, shouldn't the community be able to just pick up where he left off? Why fork #! into different projects when you could use the same, simple, beautiful formula already in place? Maybe I'm wrong and this can't be accomplished, but I guess I don't understand why #! can't go on living without it's original creator? Personally #! was the only Linux distro I actually loved. All the other ones had waaaaaaaayyyy too much clutter (what with the clunky DEs), and were way too.... un-simplistic? I don't know what it is, but whatever it was #! had it for me!

On a separate note, since BunsenLabs isn't up and #!++ is in Beta, I've decided to stoically continue using #!, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done to it to yank a few more months out of it. What repos need updating and such to keep it stable?

Debian Wheezy (the base of Waldorf) is still the stable release. What's more, it will be supported for quite some time even after Jessie is released as the new stable and Wheezy becomes old-stable. Of course the packages in it become stale, but nobody restricts you to upgrade to Jessie any time, maybe even today. Backup your important data, modify the sources.list (check the forums) and give it a good dist-upgrade. Simple, doesn't hurt. After all, it's Linux, not Hurd... wink

#3 2015-03-10 07:55:35

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

The CrunchBang repositories were never updated anyway (AFAIK) so just keep on performing the usual updates to pull the bug fixes and security-related updates from the main Debian wheezy repositories:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Debian wheezy will be supported for a good long while yet thanks to the systemd controversy.

#4 2015-03-10 12:58:00

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

As Head_on_a_Stick said ...

Debian wheezy will be supported for a good long while yet

And pvsage wrote a nice little HowTo: #! Waldorf to track Wheezy and then to Old Stable - check the link in my sig.  Also see post #8 it will look familiar.  wink

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#5 2015-03-10 13:35:59

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

kenizl86 wrote:

This may be a n00b question, but why can't we just pick up where the creator left off? Since this (#!) is an open-source project, shouldn't the community be able to just pick up where he left off? Why fork #! into different projects when you could use the same, simple, beautiful formula already in place?

That's the power of linux.

Basically, the reason you're not going to be using a CB 13 is because core asked the name to be retired. Regardless of the name, Bunson is pretty much as close to a continuation as you can get really.  Many of the config and pipe scripts are carried over and modified to work in the new environment.  If you have been watching the artwork threads, even the theme ideas are paying homage to the monochromatic nature of CB.

Wheezy will keep you going until BL or some other spawn is ready for install.

#6 2015-03-12 01:20:24

spacex
ew
Website

Yes, but the new thing is that Bunsen is going to be some kind of netinstall-script to a Bunsen DE on top of a basic Debian netinstall. That pretty much changes the whole idea behind CrunchBang, which was to provide the best possible experience out of the box. Bunsen doesn't come in a box. At least not yet.

I'm pretty convinced that lots of people will shy away from a netinstall/install-script. Unfortunately.

Last edited by spacex (2015-03-12 02:52:07)

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#7 2015-03-12 05:48:45

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ As soon as we have everything ironed out (to the best of our knowledge) in the post-install script, we expect to have Live images available. smile  In the meantime, I need to return my attention to the Live Build Manual.  Everyone else here has been working on the internals of Bunsen; I've volunteered to wrap my noodle around the Live Build process.

#8 2015-03-12 07:10:54

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

pvsage wrote:

^ As soon as we have everything ironed out (to the best of our knowledge) in the post-install script, we expect to have Live images available. smile  In the meantime, I need to return my attention to the Live Build Manual.  Everyone else here has been working on the internals of Bunsen; I've volunteered to wrap my noodle around the Live Build process.

Why don't you just use @AnInkedSoul's (meandean) refractasnapshot tool to hussle up some live images of the working system.

It's an awesome tool and I'm sure meandean wouldn't mind (I think he actually suggested it IIRC)...

Refracta Snapshot creates a bootable live-CD image which is a copy of
your running system. Any changes you make to the running system,
including desktop preferences, configuration changes, or added software
will be copied to the snapshot and will be present when you run that
snapshot as a live system.

http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/

#9 2015-03-13 00:43:58

spacex
ew
Website

pvsage wrote:

That's superb. The  Live Build Manual looks a lot more scaring than it actually is. As always, Debian is extremely thorough. I'm sure that you will be fine with it smile

I myself just uploaded a new minimal openbox-build for my project. No login-manager(use startx), No Mediaplayers, No Office-Apps, No pulseaudio(but alsa is installed), "apt-recommends" is set to "false" by default , and it weighs in at 682 MB, fully functional with file-manager, text-editor, terminal, archive-manager, web-browser, image-viewer, synaptic, gparted, transmission etc...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tweaklinux/

No competition with the bunsen-team, but it could be a fun image for people to play with while they wait for Bunsen. It's good practice. I have not put much effort into theming, as I've kept it as minimal as possible. So that part is  a DIY project. But it isn't like there is no appearance. There are obviously themes and icons. Just not much to choose from. As most icon-themes inherits the gnome-icon-theme, I've decided to just have the gnome-icon-theme, and nothing else. Otherwise I would be above cd-limits smile

At the moment only in 64-bit version. Will upload 32-bit version tomorrow. Just 4 fun smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#10 2015-03-13 07:37:45

uname
#! Junkie

@spacex

I only found an iso-file.

Why everybody post iso and deb?
Please post live-configuriations, packages-lists, ... and guides for live-build.
So everybody can create his own live-cd.
With real crunchbang-source everybody could build crunchbang++ with Debian Jessie.
But Crunchbang is not free and open source. Their is no script for building Live-ISO from source.
Their is no live-build-configuration.

tweaklinux:
600MB -> 1 GB minimal????!!!!????

Use "dpigs" for find unused big packages.
Please no Java, LibreOffice, GIMP, ... on minimal openbox live. Thanks.

Last edited by uname (2015-03-13 07:43:35)

#11 2015-03-13 08:18:29

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:

Yes, but the new thing is that Bunsen is going to be some kind of netinstall-script to a Bunsen DE on top of a basic Debian netinstall.

But wouldn't that be easier to maintain than a full-fledged distro?  If the instructions are clear, I don't think it would scare too many people off.  I'm sure there have been potential users who have been intimidated just by having to manually edit the ob-menu.  In fact, I know there have because I've seen some of the posts in the Help & Support (CrunchBang 11 "Waldorf") forum.

pvsage wrote:

You continue to surprise and impress me, pvsage.  Here I thought you were just a user and forum moderator... :8

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-03-13 08:26:44)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#12 2015-03-13 09:58:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I am.

Even though I'm effectively little more than the "contemplative boss", I feel I need to be able to contribute something.  If I can ever make it through the Live Build Manual without falling asleep every other...zzz...

#13 2015-03-13 10:05:13

tonyoptical
#! CrunchBanger

Hi

I think i have made up my mind already ... CB is what i will use for as long as possible. We had a wonderful time together and i wanna keep it that way for sure. It's a unique user experience and CB never ever did let me down.

In order to do so i have made the suggested changes to follow Wheezy. If Wheezy becomes oldstable is there anything i need to change then? Pls. shed some light on this for me.

Is there or will there be a way to just "dist-upgrade" from Wheezy to Jessie and keep the whole CB stuff alive? Pls. shed some light on this for me.

If i ever need to perform a fresh install using the now precious latest CB iso's - is that still possible - or will it be still possible eg. in 6 months from now?  Pls. shed some light on this for me.

I feel it would be great if there is advise for CB users that don't wanna switch to something else what the options for the future are and make it "sticky" in a prominent place eg. in addition to corenominals statement.

Thx.

Last edited by tonyoptical (2015-03-13 10:16:08)

#14 2015-03-13 13:58:34

snowpine
#!-a-roo

@tonyoptical: "Upgrade Waldorf to Jessie" is trivially easy and exists now. spacex made an unofficial #! Jessie image as a convenience.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 63#p417863

/hugged

#15 2015-03-13 19:41:59

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^ what snowpine said ... and ... Check the link in my sig:  #! Waldorf to track Wheezy and then to Old Stable

Also once you do that you can (after the all important "backup your stuff") change your sources.list again and change "wheezy" to "jessie" and you should be fine to go.

I did just that not long ago but took it to SID.

Also stick around and what out for BunsenLabs.  big_smile

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#16 2015-03-13 22:31:21

StrangeCrunch

@spacex:  Looking forward to the 32bit image, as my old machine does not like 64 bit stuff.

Last edited by StrangeCrunch (2015-03-13 22:31:33)

Dell D630, Crunchbang 11

#17 2015-03-14 21:14:40

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

^ I am.

Even though I'm effectively little more than the "contemplative boss", I feel I need to be able to contribute something.  If I can ever make it through the Live Build Manual without falling asleep every other...zzz...

lol

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Board footer