SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-06 01:30:50

isaaclo123

Pushing changes to Bunsen github/ problems with installing packages

Hi, I'm new to the Bunsen community and I'm not sure how to push changes to the Bunsen github. I've been working on an installer script for bunsen at https://github.com/isaaclo123/bunsen-installscripts, and was later hoping to put these files on the github for bunsen-installscripts.

I've also had some problems concerning writing the installer script. The script is supposed to install a lot of packages during the installation. I use sudo apt-get --ignore-missing --yes --force-yes install package1 package2 package3.... However, when i run the script on a VM, nothing happens, and none of the packages are installed.

Thank you for your help. smile

Last edited by isaaclo123 (2015-03-08 06:00:04)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-06 06:26:03

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Pushing changes to Bunsen github/ problems with installing packages

As I understand distributed workflow, you Fork one of the Bunsen Lab repositories, commit your changes to your Fork and create a Pull Request. Your changes can then be looked over and merged into the BL repository. It is a good practice to make changes in branches too.

The alternative is if you are given write permission to the BL repo and commit there directly. This is an older workflow dating back to the days of centralized source control, and does tend to trip one up and people can step on each other's changes. Of course this is at the discretion of the repo owners  big_smile

#3 2015-03-06 06:29:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

At the moment we are requesting people who'd like to contribute to the BunsenLabs repositories to follow the "fork and pull" approach.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#4 2015-03-07 20:27:13

isaaclo123

Thanks. I'll put in a pull request right away! smile

Last edited by isaaclo123 (2015-03-07 20:28:33)

#5 2015-03-08 00:12:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@isaaclo123, we really appreciate your desire to help, but with all due respect, I think it's much too early to put a BunsenLabs install script on GitHub. Many of the repositories' content will change. Your script seems to be attempting to install Wally, which is different from BunsenLabs.

kbmonkey wrote:

As I understand distributed workflow, you Fork one of the Bunsen Lab repositories, commit your changes to your Fork and create a Pull Request. Your changes can then be looked over and merged into the BL repository.

This work flow presupposes that there is an existing code base to which you'd like to add changes. To import the complete code for a whole script goes beyond merging changes.

Also:

isaaclo123 wrote:

I've also had some problems concerning writing the installer script. The script is supposed to install a lot of packages during the installation. I use sudo apt-get --ignore-missing --yes --force-yes install package1 package2 package3.... However, when i run the script on a VM, nothing happens, and none of the packages are installed.

I think you should perhaps resolve those issues first.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#6 2015-03-08 01:50:42

isaaclo123

@johnraff, Thank you for your concern about my install script.

The script I made downloads the archived master files from each of the github repositories, so everything should be up to date with the latest changes. It then takes those fresh files and installs it on the Debian OS, putting binaries in place and other config files in place, so the files can change with new additions.

I've also resolved the apt-get issues by having the packages install one at a time through a for loop. I've been testing the script through the use of a VM, and for now, I think I've worked out most of the kinks. The script has changed a lot in the past few days, so some bugs have been fixed.

The reason I install the Wally packages is simply as a placeholder for later Bunsen packages. It's just a minimal set of packages so the themes and configs can be tested. When the Bunsen repository is set up, It removes the need to install those Wally packages. I plan to remove your Wally packages once a new repository is set up.

The script does not just install the wally packages, it also installs the Bunsen configs, pipemenus, etc. It's not just Wally.

I fully understand that it's early to be making an installer script, but it's mainly created as a framework for later work. It's very experimental for now, but I think it would be great for Bunsen Labs developers, who could use it in their testing.

Once again, thank you for your concern. I hope I cleared up some issues with the script.

Best wishes, isaaclo123

https://github.com/isaaclo123/bunsen-installscripts

Last edited by isaaclo123 (2015-03-08 01:54:58)

Board footer