SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-25 16:02:02

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

Hello,

I have an old laptop that I've been booting the Crunchbang 11 x64 Linux distribution off a thumbdrive for several months. I've made quite a few customizations, installed software, etc. on it. A month ago, the X server seemed to get messed up. After I log in, the X windows never finishes starting up. The mouse pointer remains as an X, and there's no context menus if I right click on the desktop, or any other UI elements.

I've installed the same Crunchbang 11 x64 Linux distribution on another thumbdrive and am able to boot and start up X with no problems on the same laptop. I'm wondering if I could copy the X configuration files and drivers from the good thumbdrive to the bad thumbdrive and hopefully everything would work and I wouldn't have to reinstall everything on the new good thumbdrive. Does anyone know what files I should copy?

-Eric

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-25 18:43:51

ericdand
New Member
Registered: 2015-02-24
Posts: 9

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

If your X is broken, it may not be the best idea to copy everything over, lest you copy over whatever invalid/corrupted state broke your X in the first place!

I don't know all the relevant files to copy a configuration, but I would recommend writing yourself a short shell script which will install everything you want. This may actually take a little longer than just doing it manually, but it will save you work next time.

Offline

#3 2015-02-25 18:49:33

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

I think you should find out what broke it -- otherwise you're just going to break the new one as well.

Did you add Ubuntu PPAs or Testing/Unstable repositories to your sources.list?

Read this:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Offline

#4 2015-02-25 19:00:48

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ericdand wrote:

If your X is broken, it may not be the best idea to copy everything over, lest you copy over whatever invalid/corrupted state broke your X in the first place!

I don't know all the relevant files to copy a configuration, but I would recommend writing yourself a short shell script which will install everything you want. This may actually take a little longer than just doing it manually, but it will save you work next time.

I was thinking I could copy the X stuff over from the thumbdrive where X is working to the thumbdrive where X is not working.  I've looked in the system logs on the thumbdrive where X isn't working, but haven't seen anything useful.

Offline

#5 2015-02-25 19:33:34

olegabrielz
#! Junkie
From: Norway
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 442

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

Like Head_on_a_Stick just wrote. And a good place to start looking for answers is to examine the ~/.xsession-errors file on your broken system. And see what errors you get when trying to start x from tty1 on your broken system with:

sudo service slim start

If the errors you get don't give you any clues, just post them here. Then there is at least a chance that someone here maybe could get a clue on what the problem is smile

Offline

#6 2015-02-25 20:11:33

ericdand
New Member
Registered: 2015-02-24
Posts: 9

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

olegabrielz wrote:

Like Head_on_a_Stick just wrote. And a good place to start looking for answers is to examine the ~/.xsession-errors file on your broken system. And see what errors you get when trying to start x from tty1 on your broken system with:

sudo service slim start

If the errors you get don't give you any clues, just post them here. Then there is at least a chance that someone here maybe could get a clue on what the problem is smile

I second that, it's always more fun to figure out what broke! We're here to help.

Offline

#7 2015-02-25 20:20:34

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ericdand wrote:
olegabrielz wrote:

Like Head_on_a_Stick just wrote. And a good place to start looking for answers is to examine the ~/.xsession-errors file on your broken system. And see what errors you get when trying to start x from tty1 on your broken system with:

sudo service slim start

If the errors you get don't give you any clues, just post them here. Then there is at least a chance that someone here maybe could get a clue on what the problem is smile

I second that, it's always more fun to figure out what broke! We're here to help.

I'll do some more digging into it tonight.

Offline

#8 2015-03-05 03:16:23

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

olegabrielz wrote:

Like Head_on_a_Stick just wrote. And a good place to start looking for answers is to examine the ~/.xsession-errors file on your broken system. And see what errors you get when trying to start x from tty1 on your broken system with:

sudo service slim start

If the errors you get don't give you any clues, just post them here. Then there is at least a chance that someone here maybe could get a clue on what the problem is smile

I can't kill my Xsession with the GUI because it's messed up.  I did a Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a terminal and tried to run

sudo service slim start

as you suggested.  It said that slim was already running.  I ran a

sudo top

and found that slim was process id 2028.  I killed slim with a sigterm of 9, it took me to my XSession and wouldn't let me get out any more.  Nothing happened when I Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2, etc.  After several minutes it worked again.  I tried

sudo service slim start

it was pretty much the same as when I try to go straight into X after a boot.

I looked at the ~/.xsession logs and didn't see anything from more recently than January.  I checked the date on my system and it was correct. The last entry in the ~/.xsession logs is (typing in by hand):

Xsession: X session started for eric at Tue Jan 20 21:05 EST 2015
localuser: eric being added to the access control list
/usr/bin/ck-launch-session: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: invalid ELF header

-Eric

Last edited by ewgoforth (2015-03-05 03:17:06)

Offline

#9 2015-03-09 19:13:13

ericdand
New Member
Registered: 2015-02-24
Posts: 9

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ewgoforth wrote:
Xsession: X session started for eric at Tue Jan 20 21:05 EST 2015
localuser: eric being added to the access control list
/usr/bin/ck-launch-session: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: invalid ELF header

Looks like Linux doesn't like your libgio library. Bad .so files are the Linux equivalent of DLL hell.

I found this stack exchange post on figuring out the mysteries of libgio: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … -of-libgio

Basically, it suggests you use dpkg -S to figure out where you got the file. I would recommend you then remove (use the --purge option) that package using apt-get and reinstall it and see if that fixes your problem. An "invalid header" complaint sounds like data corruption to me, so a fresh copy of the file could fix that.

Last edited by ericdand (2015-03-09 19:15:28)

Offline

#10 2015-03-11 05:06:23

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ericdand wrote:
ewgoforth wrote:
Xsession: X session started for eric at Tue Jan 20 21:05 EST 2015
localuser: eric being added to the access control list
/usr/bin/ck-launch-session: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0: invalid ELF header

Looks like Linux doesn't like your libgio library. Bad .so files are the Linux equivalent of DLL hell.

I found this stack exchange post on figuring out the mysteries of libgio: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … -of-libgio

Basically, it suggests you use dpkg -S to figure out where you got the file. I would recommend you then remove (use the --purge option) that package using apt-get and reinstall it and see if that fixes your problem. An "invalid header" complaint sounds like data corruption to me, so a fresh copy of the file could fix that.

Hi,

I rebooted off my "bad" thumbdrive and ran dpkg -S like you suggested and it said that libgio-2.0.so.0 had invalid sectors.  I couldn't run apt-get on it since I don't have X and hence I don't have the internet on the "bad" thumbdrive.  I copied that file over from my "good" thumbdrive and things seemed to go a little further the next time I rebooted off the "bad" thumbdrive.  I got an error about a different .so file and so I did the same thing about that.  I then got an error that it couldn't find /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon.  I rebooted off the good thumbdrive and I couldn't find that file there either.  Any idea about that?

-Eric

Offline

#11 2015-03-12 02:08:43

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

Here's my .xsession-errors file:

xscreensaver: 01:23:54: running as eric/eric (1000/1000)

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 1797 requests (1794 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xscreensaver: 01:23:54: Can't open display: :0.0
xscreensaver: 01:23:54: running as eric/eric (1000/1000)

xscreensaver: 01:23:54: Errors at startup are usually authorization problems.
              But you're not logging in as root (good!) so something
              else must be wrong.  Did you read the manual and the FAQ?

              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man.html

Xsession: X session started for eric at Wed Mar 11 01:38:37 EDT 2015
localuser:eric being added to access control list
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
/bin/sh: 1: exec: /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon: not found
Segmentation fault
** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
xscreensaver: 21:56:43: SIGHUP received: restarting...
xscreensaver: 21:56:43: running as eric/eric (1000/1000)

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 12398 requests (12398 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xscreensaver: 21:56:43: Can't open display: :0.0
xscreensaver: 21:56:43: running as eric/eric (1000/1000)

xscreensaver: 21:56:43: Errors at startup are usually authorization problems.
              But you're not logging in as root (good!) so something
              else must be wrong.  Did you read the manual and the FAQ?

              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man.html

Offline

#12 2015-03-13 01:59:44

ericdand
New Member
Registered: 2015-02-24
Posts: 9

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ewgoforth wrote:
/bin/sh: 1: exec: /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon: not found

notification-daemon is a GNOME thing, which I assume means you installed GNOME yourself, right? How did you install and configure GNOME? Switching desktop managers is a big process where lots can go wrong. Can you remember if you got anything from any source other than the apt repos? What about files you edited by hand yourself?

Googleing "fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server" got me plenty of results, all quite varied (unfortunately). It could be a video driver problem, but if it worked before then that might suggest something else. Your thumb drive itself might even have some corruption. Here's one thread with some good info, though: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073987

At this point, the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and darker. There are so many likely culprits that figuring this out may prove impossible. It may be a good time to just admit "it's broken" and try to better document what you do next time you set it up so that you have more info if/when it goes wrong.

Addressing your original question about copying X settings and drivers from one install to another, the easiest and fastest way would be to make an exhaustive list of all of the config files involved (which could be hard if you didn't diligently document what you did while you set everything up), make backup copies of them, make a fresh install, reinstall the drivers and whatnot from apt, then paste all your old config files over the fresh ones.

Offline

#13 2015-03-13 13:56:43

ewgoforth
New Member
Registered: 2015-01-21
Posts: 8

Re: How to copy X drivers and settings from one install to another

ericdand wrote:
ewgoforth wrote:
/bin/sh: 1: exec: /usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon: not found

notification-daemon is a GNOME thing, which I assume means you installed GNOME yourself, right? How did you install and configure GNOME? Switching desktop managers is a big process where lots can go wrong. Can you remember if you got anything from any source other than the apt repos? What about files you edited by hand yourself?

Googleing "fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server" got me plenty of results, all quite varied (unfortunately). It could be a video driver problem, but if it worked before then that might suggest something else. Your thumb drive itself might even have some corruption. Here's one thread with some good info, though: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073987

At this point, the rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and darker. There are so many likely culprits that figuring this out may prove impossible. It may be a good time to just admit "it's broken" and try to better document what you do next time you set it up so that you have more info if/when it goes wrong.

Addressing your original question about copying X settings and drivers from one install to another, the easiest and fastest way would be to make an exhaustive list of all of the config files involved (which could be hard if you didn't diligently document what you did while you set everything up), make backup copies of them, make a fresh install, reinstall the drivers and whatnot from apt, then paste all your old config files over the fresh ones.

I basically came to the same conclusion as you the other night.  I copied over my Mozilla profile from the "bad" thumbdrive to the "good" thumbdrive, which gave me a my Firefox history, so I was able to find a lot the research that I'd done when I was setting it up initially.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo