SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#176 2015-02-18 16:26:42

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: Wally - a Waldorf replica on a Jessie netinstall

^I was going to recommend that we switch back to capitalizing in order to stay uniform with Debian, but I doubt these quirky bangers will go for it!  tongue

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Be excellent to each other!

#177 2015-02-18 16:53:24

damo
#! gimpbanger

hhh wrote:

^I was going to recommend that we switch back to capitalizing in order to stay uniform with Debian, but I doubt these quirky bangers will go for it!  tongue

+1 for the user-dirs.dirs reason.

Uppercase in filepaths irritates me like hell mad

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#178 2015-02-18 17:11:25

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Agreed. Later down the road with Live Boot you can populate /etc/skel then run a hook with a simple script to get rid of those pesky upper case filenames.

#179 2015-02-18 17:12:46

jalexander9
#! Member

@cao giving recommended Debian Jessie firmware listing,  Post #154 - thanks for posting this!...

Going to take a look at this later tonight or tomorrow, ...hopefully there will be some welcomed gemstones...Thx again!

Intel Pentium 4 150 GB HDD 4 GB RAM

#180 2015-02-19 03:15:20

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

@pvsage, I have no issues with Thunar mounting volumes or requesting permissions. Do you have gvfs installed? @johnraff, are you including gvfs in the installation instructions?

-edit- nm, I see you've included gvfs-bin and gvfs-fuse, the latter depends on gvfs. For comparison, here are the gvfs packages I have installed...

ii  gvfs:i386                     1.22.2-1            i386                userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module
ii  gvfs-common                   1.22.2-1            all                 userspace virtual filesystem - common data files
ii  gvfs-daemons                  1.22.2-1            i386                userspace virtual filesystem - servers
ii  gvfs-libs:i386 

Yup, I have the whole gvfs suite installed.  Thunar's automatically mounting internal drives for you (without them being listed in /etc/fstab)?  Like I said, having them mounted via /etc/fstab completely bypasses polkit...be wary about UUID changes if you ever need to format them though, it'll make systemd hang at boot and drop you to a root shell.

EDIT:  Oh, and I'm for going with Debian's defaults for home directory names, including ~/Pictures instead of ~/images.  Images are what you write to a CD or USB drive. tongue

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-19 03:18:07)

#181 2015-02-19 03:45:21

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

If you haven't done so check

sudo systemctl --all

and make sure you don't have a service masked or disabled somewhere that's giving you problems. <-- One of the biggest criticisms of systemd is is sometimes does not start services that should start by default.

#182 2015-02-19 04:55:35

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I assume the only lines I'm interested in at this point are the marked ones?

● var-lock.mount                                                                                           not-found inactive dead      var-lock.mount
● var-run.mount                                                                                            not-found inactive dead      var-run.mount
● auditd.service                                                                                           not-found inactive dead      auditd.service
● clamav-daemon.service                                                                                    not-found inactive dead      clamav-daemon.service
● console-screen.service                                                                                   not-found inactive dead      console-screen.service
● greylist.service                                                                                         not-found inactive dead      greylist.service
● keymap.service                                                                                           not-found inactive dead      keymap.service
● mountkernfs.service                                                                                      masked    inactive dead      mountkernfs.service
● mysql.service                                                                                            not-found inactive dead      mysql.service
● plymouth-quit-wait.service                                                                               not-found inactive dead      plymouth-quit-wait.service
● plymouth-start.service                                                                                   not-found inactive dead      plymouth-start.service
● postgresql.service                                                                                       not-found inactive dead      postgresql.service
● spamassassin.service                                                                                     not-found inactive dead      spamassassin.service
● systemd-sysusers.service                                                                                 not-found inactive dead      systemd-sysusers.service
● systemd-udev-hwdb-update.service                                                                         not-found inactive dead      systemd-udev-hwdb-update.service
● systemd-vconsole-setup.service                                                                           not-found inactive dead      systemd-vconsole-setup.service
● syslog.target                                                                                            not-found inactive dead      syslog.target

I suppose the easiest way to find out which services may be relevant to the filesystem mounting would be to simply launch the gnome authentication agent and check the list again?

EDIT:  No change in not-found or masked services with authentication daemon running.  Launching daemon from terminal gives access to internal filesystems (with authentication), but gives this warning:

~$ /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
[1] 1197
~$ 
** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1197): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

Apparently a11y is an a10n, like l10n or i18n. roll

Authentication window itself throws up this warning in terminal used to launch daemon:

~$ Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-19 05:07:31)

#183 2015-02-19 06:03:52

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Ok digging further into systemd because this is almost certainly a systemd problem, try this:

systemctl list-unit-files

be looking for something like polkit-gnome-blah-blah

The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

That tells me systemd has not ever enabled the service for whatever reason. BTW I usually go to Arch wiki when trying to sort out systemd related stuff.

#184 2015-02-19 06:24:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Incidentally, the var-run.mount thing seems to be a "generic bug" that Red Hat has known about for at least a couple years now...
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=835848

Hmmm...

polkitd.service                             static  

However:

tmp.mount                                   disabled
fuse.service                                masked  
mountall-bootclean.service                  masked  
mountall.service                            masked  
mountdevsubfs.service                       masked  
x11-common.service                          masked  
kexec.target                                disabled

Do any of these look like likely suspects?

#185 2015-02-19 06:38:04

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yes, actually. I am pretty sure fuse is the backend for gvfs.
so:

sudo systemctl unmask fuse.service
sudo systemctl enable fuse.service

You can try this and see if fuse will start up for you. Also

sudo systemctl enable polkitd.service

Im on my sid install atm the moment but this should give you a rough idea of the services I have running related to your issue.

root-.gvfs.mount            loaded active mounted   /root/.gvfs
run-user-1000-gvfs.mount    loaded active mounted   /run/user/1000/gvfs
sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount loaded active mounted   FUSE Control File System
polkitd.service           loaded    active   running   Authenticate and Authorize

#186 2015-02-19 12:45:41

pvsage
Internal Affairs

~$ sudo systemctl enable fuse.service
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Unmask didn't return such an error, but fuse.service is still showing as masked.

~$ sudo systemctl enable polkitd.service
The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.
Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
   .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
   a requirement dependency on it.
3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
   D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).

#187 2015-02-19 18:56:43

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Something is up with polkitd. It should be running. You're not the only guy having trouble with this. When I get the time, I will try to dig into this deeper. Bumped into one Arch thread that may offer a possible solution. Also, I have not tested any of this on my Jessie netinstall but I have been mounting all of my drives manually.

#188 2015-02-19 21:08:05

Innocent#!User

johnraff wrote:

Meanwhile if anyone cares to follow the instructions from Parts 1 to 4 and reports any problems they have with the system that results, or differences* from standard CrunchBang Waldorf, that would be a big help in choosing the apps and settings that eventually go into BunsenLabs.  smile

I cried, literally, when I read the news of #!'s demise.
A few days have passed and I bounce back, determined to be some part of the community continuation of the greatness that is
#!

I am all yours John.. I will follow your instructions to the letter, copy and pasting as I go.
Our target is a once-fancy hp pavillion ze4500 pulled out of storage for resurrection, it has an ethernet connection and a Debian netinst CD in the drive. The human operator is a self-taught, non-expert-but-competent home crunchbanger..

*hits the power button* 8o

===
hp pavilion ze4500 running Wally

#189 2015-02-19 21:31:18

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^ If When it works can we change your name to:

Successful BL User    lol  lol  lol  lol

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#190 2015-02-20 00:16:34

jalexander9
#! Member

Another update...Eureka!...audio is working!...Took the idea from one offered by ..@tknomanzr...earlier in this thread, and another familiar

name ..@Head on a Stick... <sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf>

--Edit: <options snd-intel8x0m index=0> ...Namely, force the correct sound card to index=0...

@John Raff - A big thank you for giving the how-to, on-point advice, and admonishment when we have typos ..:( .... It's all good!!!...

Last edited by jalexander9 (2015-02-20 00:40:40)

Intel Pentium 4 150 GB HDD 4 GB RAM

#191 2015-02-20 01:10:11

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:
~$ sudo systemctl enable fuse.service
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Unmask didn't return such an error, but fuse.service is still showing as masked.

~$ sudo systemctl enable polkitd.service
The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.
Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
   .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
   a requirement dependency on it.
3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
   D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).

Sorry I ran you around a little bit on this but it's useful to start attempting to understand the systemd way of doing stuff. I was having the same issue with automounts not working, though I had no issues with permissions as having perused this thread, I made sure I got polkit installed early  big_smile . Anyway, let's check

dpkg -l udisks2

and see if it is installed.
if not install it, then do:

sudo systemctl start udisks2.service

This should get your stuff automounting, assuming polkitd is not giving you issues. Most output I have seen, including my own on thie Jessie install show it running, not static.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-02-20 01:10:56)

#192 2015-02-20 02:06:33

Innocent#!User

johnraff wrote:

apt-listbugs will warn us if something looks dodgy.
From this point on any bugs will show up when you install an app and you will have an opportunity to back out and put that app on hold then continue.

'sudo apt-mark hold packagename' will hold that package so that when you do an upgrade, it will be kept on the current version while everything else gets upgraded. When the bug on that package seems to have been fixed, you can do 'sudo apt-mark unhold packagename' and it will be free to be upgraded.

Hi john, it's late, been working on Wally (and other stuff) for many hours now and am making progress, but the part of your instructions quoted above doesn't match what I am seeing in the terminal.
I just ran the second block of mass installs of the installs you divided into five sections.. I was informed of one critical bug... [Y/n/?...] I hit '?' and received the following:

critical bugs of libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 (→ 2.4.8-1) <Forwarded>
 b1 - #776686 - libwebkitgtk-3.0-0: Crash with SIGBUS in `WebCore::WidthIterator::advanceInternal`
Summary:
 libwebkitgtk-3.0-0(1 bug)
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...] ?
     y     - continue the APT installation, but do not mark the bugs
             as ignored.
     a     - continue the APT installation and mark all the above bugs
             as ignored.
     n     - stop the APT installation.
   <num>   - query the specified bug number (requires reportbug).
  #<num>   - same as <num>.
   b<id>   - same as <num>, but query the bug identified by <id>.
     r     - redisplay bug lists.
 p <pkg..> - pin pkgs (restart APT session to enable).
 p         - pin all the above pkgs (restart APT session to enable).
 i <num>   - mark bug number <num> as ignored.
 i b<id>   - mark the bug identified by <id> as ignored.
     ?     - print this help.
     w     - display bug lists in HTML (uses sensible-browser).
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

I imagine I ought to choose to pin the package. But I have a literal mind and this doesn't match your instructions precisely, so my terminal awaits your response and I am going to bed. I hope to help improve these instructions / this process by taking it all at face value even at the risk of seeming dumb to nixers like yourself. I saved my entire Terminator output using nano just in case  of I don't know what smile

===
hp pavilion ze4500 running Wally

#193 2015-02-20 07:42:08

Snap
#! Die Hard

No need to put any buggy package on hold just because it has some kind of bug. It may not be affecting you. A good practice when a bug is reported by apt-listbugs is hitting W and checking/studying the bugs one by one. It's the usual mess of tracking Testing or Sid. It takes time going through the bugs and deciding what's safe to install and what not. It's one of the drawbacks of rolling but also the fun part of it. It will all disappear when Jessie is released as stable anyway. But for now:

w     - display bug lists in HTML (uses sensible-browser)

Last edited by Snap (2015-02-20 07:44:53)

#194 2015-02-20 15:08:11

hhh
Cityspeak

@tkno, pvsage, confirming that systemd-ui shows polkitd.service and udisks2.service as running.

I might be misunderstanding "internal drives". My box has an SDHC card that shows up as unmounted in Thunar on bootup (I have Thunar set NOT to automount plugged in drives and I have no fstab entry for it). Clicking the drive in Thunar's left-pane mounts it. USB drives and cameras behave the same for me. I'm guessing these are all external drives and you're talking about a second hard drive.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-20 15:08:51)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#195 2015-02-20 16:31:24

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Well an internal drive would have to be setup via /etc/fstab, if I understand correctly. Looking at my testing Jessie install, I noticed udisks2 was not installed. I tried to pull the entire list of everything @johnraff had installed via his script for the Live Builds I have been tinkering with. I did not notice it in that list, either. If I somehow missed it, then I apologize. However, I CAN confirm that adding udisks2 to the 2nd Live Build I did last night and testing the USB stick gave me expected behaviors for Thunar. I did not post any info on that build yet, because I figured out why configs down in /usr/share were not sticking. I will do another build tonight and should be able to fix that issue.

I am thinking @pvsage is coming from an lxsessions angle and something is not quite correct. I am just not sure what.

#196 2015-02-20 19:56:51

pvsage
Internal Affairs

By "internal drive" I mean physical HDDs connected via SATA; also other partitions on the same (SATA) drive as /.

tknomanzr wrote:

Sorry I ran you around a little bit on this but it's useful to start attempting to understand the systemd way of doing stuff. I was having the same issue with automounts not working, though I had no issues with permissions as having perused this thread, I made sure I got polkit installed early  big_smile . Anyway, let's check

dpkg -l udisks2

and see if it is installed.
if not install it, then do:

sudo systemctl start udisks2.service

This should get your stuff automounting, assuming polkitd is not giving you issues. Most output I have seen, including my own on thie Jessie install show it running, not static.

udisks2 already installed; no joy with `sudo systemctl start udisks2.service`.  No error message or feedback, but it's still showing as "static" and systemd still tells me "you are not authorized".  (Still shows as "static" with the policykit daemon running.)

#197 2015-02-20 20:54:16

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

This is from our own forums via Sector11 and Unia. Perhaps it will get you some traction.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34355

#198 2015-02-20 21:10:53

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Found that early in my search, but will have another look at it after work.  Skipped it earlier because Sector11's problem was mounting an external drive and DVD player, which isn't an issue for me.

#199 2015-02-20 21:27:30

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^ I haven't been following this must - occupied with other stuff.

maybe an app can help - disk-manager
it's in jessie:

disk-manager (1.1.1-2) simple graphical filesystem configurator

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#200 2015-02-20 21:34:17

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Or this as it seems to point back to all the same stuff polkitd udisks2, etc.

HI!
Here is a solution that worked for me: open filebrowser (thunar) and go in the /usr/share/polkit-1/actions folder and right click on the "org.freedesktop.udisks.policy" and then "open as root". In the 34th line there is a "auth_admin_keep" just replace this with "yes" (dont change the format) and save the file. After that try to connect to your remote filesystem with Gigolo
the source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307383
Last edited by Metalsasi (2011-12-23 06:03:58)
Crunchbang forums.

Original source:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307383
I think the Gigolo part is irrelavent.

Board footer