SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-02-16 02:01:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Wally - a Waldorf replica on a Jessie netinstall

hhh wrote:

who is The Man in this cryptic comment?...

I hope The Man has got his eye on this, or possibly a colour-tweaked version of it, for inclusion in BunsenLinux.

I, I'm guessing you mean tknom.

If that means pvsage, then the answer is yes.
He's got the Last Word on what goes into BL. Someone has to make those decisions, or we'd be discussing options for ever...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Be excellent to each other!

#102 2015-02-16 02:18:23

rwsChris
#! Member

johnraff wrote:

If you're just connecting via eth0 and dhcp is fine, then you don't really need network-manager anyway. Just uncomment those lines in /etc/network/interfaces and reboot, and you should be online? No?

Yes. That's right. I think it relates to the fact that I chose eth0 as my primary connection during the netinstall. I do this because I don't have the firmware available for the wireless. (I suppose I could hunt them down and put them on a flashdrive.) But once the netinstall is finished and I can pull the firmware from non-free, I typically switch back to wireless.

Last edited by rwsChris (2015-02-16 02:32:45)

#103 2015-02-16 02:29:09

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

If that means pvsage, then the answer is yes.
He's got the Last Word on what goes into BL. Someone has to make those decisions, or we'd be discussing options for ever...

Actually, I thought you were talking about tknomanzr. tongue Cool, pvsage is the man.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#104 2015-02-16 02:32:38

hhh
Cityspeak

tknomanzr wrote:

I believe my theme still has issues here and there. I'd be glad to just hand that part over so I can dig into this Live Install thing and see if I can make it work.

I posted my theme, you see the licenses, they're modifications of other people's work anyway (though some of it is pretty heavily modified!) So feel free to include or exclude as you see fit.

Best of luck with the live-builder!

#105 2015-02-16 02:37:54

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Im thinking what is really needed is one lighter, one darker and possibly one high contrast theme for visually impaired. No reason we can't include them both and I'd happily rename mine to reduce confusion. That is, if it gets picked  tongue

#106 2015-02-16 03:30:14

hhh
Cityspeak

I have Bunsen1, you have Bunsen, all good! I'm close to a working dark theme, but GTK3 has button issues, period. Make that issues, exclamation point!  tongue

#107 2015-02-16 03:50:50

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@Peter:  They're running with your "The Man" thing.
yikes

Well, if I'm "The Man" I'd better start paying a little more attention. :8  If you guys were talking about crunchy-dark-grey and Deb8, I like them both; they're in.

@tknomanzr:  Absolutely!  As I've said elsewhere, I believe a dark, slightly-lower-contrast theme should be available out-of-the-box for those of us with sensitive vision.  (My Momski has told me that when I was a baby direct sunlight would make me cry, and I grew up with a prescription for photogray lenses.  Just thought I'd fully disclose why I'm letting my personal preferences influence the themes available.)  I'd say Deb8 satisfies the need for a lighter theme nicely, and crunchy-dark-grey satisfies the need for a darker one.  We now just need a high contrast theme (and possibly an inverse high contrast theme) that doesn't blow chunks.

#108 2015-02-16 04:08:46

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

My Momski has told me that when I was a baby direct sunlight would make me cry, and I grew up with a prescription for photogray lenses.

Ah...look...we've got a momma's boy in the forums.   lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I am just kidding of course.  wink

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#109 2015-02-16 04:11:49

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@KrunchTime:  Apparently it was really bad, and I still find a bright sunny or hazy sky painful.  (EDIT:  "Sensitive eyes" can be as debilitating as "low vision", especially in a world filled with "sun-loving faces". tongue (Yes, that last bit was a pony reference. 8o ))

@johnraff:  For the install I'm using at the moment, I followed the first part of your "cheat sheet" (Friday 13 revision) up to the update-alternatives step (make gksu run as gksudo), then deviated because I don't want to lean on corenominal's packages as a crutch for my own build, and I've run into a little hiccup - can't mount any partition, internal or external, aside from the one with / and /home on it.  (EDIT:  Mounting external drives - at least my one NTFS disk and FAT32 thumb drives, has never been a problem.  My apologies for any confusion on that point; I was very tired when I initially made this post, but that is no excuse.)  Most likely it's either a policykit thing like the problem Sector11 wrote about here or there are some FUSE-related packages we've missed; I'll look into it and post back soon.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-20 21:37:55)

#110 2015-02-16 04:18:40

hhh
Cityspeak

pvsage wrote:

Well, if I'm "The Man" I'd better start paying a little more attention. :8  If you guys were talking about crunchy-dark-grey and Deb8, I like them both; they're in.

Both need minor updates to bring them in line with this...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 01#p418601
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 04#p418604

#111 2015-02-16 05:24:54

mcred

Johnraff:

Great work... Everything worked for me (at least everything so far smile ).

And, it allows one of the things we all love about #!, it works on older hardware.

My test bed: AMD Athlon XP 2800+, Nvidia Card, 1.5 GB memory.

If it works on this, it should work on anything.

Great fun to make it all work, thanks again.

#112 2015-02-16 07:14:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@mcred:  Do you have any internal partitions other than the one Wally is installed on, and if so, did they mount out of the box?  I've used disk-mangler disk-manager to get them into fstab for now, but I'd prefer something more elegant.  They mounted straight out-of-the-box in my installation from the LXDE CD image, so I'm thinking there's something included there that isn't on the netinstall.

#113 2015-02-16 07:38:28

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@johnraff:  I've gotten around to installing gnome-mplayer (instead of vlc) on my build, and I see tearing. sad  I'll install LXDE on a separate partition and work down from there to see what it has that the netinstall doesn't; maybe that'll help me find what's missing regarding mounting internal drives as well.

#114 2015-02-16 08:38:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Yes these are the sort of nitty-gritty issues I was hoping would come out of this!

For the mounting thing, I notice  libpam-systemd gets installed later down the cheatsheet - it looks important, so maybe try installing that right away? gvfs-bin is another one that doesn't come in till later.

Agreed about not wanting to depend on Philips' debs. For now, they were a shortcut to getting the thing off the ground quickly, though I have picked them apart and know what's in there. (Had to do a lot of that when making the Waldorf netinstall script.)

I was planning to put a post in here soon about dissecting and tweaking debs, so everyone can have a look and not depend on any "magic".

edit: I'm still on Virtualbox here, but fwiw when I mount the Guest Additions virtual CD image, Thunar detects it just like a normal plugin device and allows me to mount and open it. That's after completing the full Wally install.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-02-16 08:48:48)

John
--------------------

#115 2015-02-16 08:55:58

pvsage
Internal Affairs

EDIT2:  I already had libpam-systemd installed; just installed gvfs-bin and gvfs-backends and no change.  We'll see if a reboot helps.  (EDIT33.3:  Nope.)

I just ran into what appears to be a bugaboo regarding systemd/policykit.  After installing the "base" system (next step up from netinstall) on another internal partition, my Wally-lite halts during the boot process, most likely due to the change in the other partition's UUID when I had the installer format it. roll  (I'll jot down the exact errors in a few moments so I can search them and find a possible solution/workaround; it would suck to have to format all partitions you intend to install on before you install anything beyond Debian 7.8.)  I ran into this before and assumed something got corrupted by a power surge/flicker, but it now looks like that was not the case.

EDIT:  the stalling-on-boot problem was because I had used disk-mangler to get the internal drives into /etc/fstab and the UUID had changed.  I was able to comment that line out for now from the root shell and reboot; I can simply get the new UUID and copy it in later.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-16 09:21:57)

#116 2015-02-16 09:10:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Time for me to do a real install on a real machine.

John
--------------------

#117 2015-02-16 15:05:09

mcred

Admittedly, no, not really, just /, /home and /swap. My skill level is, well, advanced n00b and I didn't want to bork anything I need to do any work on.

I do have a amd64 box, with a RAID setup, I'd be willing to try that next, but it'll take me a bit.

I may not have a lot of experience, but I have hardware to experiment with wink .

pvsage wrote:

@mcred:  Do you have any internal partitions other than the one Wally is installed on, and if so, did they mount out of the box?  I've used disk-mangler disk-manager to get them into fstab for now, but I'd prefer something more elegant.  They mounted straight out-of-the-box in my installation from the LXDE CD image, so I'm thinking there's something included there that isn't on the netinstall.

#118 2015-02-16 15:59:44

rwsChris
#! Member

johnraff wrote:

For the mounting thing, I notice  libpam-systemd gets installed later down the cheatsheet

fyi: libpam-systemd is installed with the policykit-1 in step 1 for me.

#119 2015-02-16 16:42:02

hhh
Cityspeak

libpam-systemd is the part of systemd that provides logind functionality, so lightdm, network manager, policykit1, udisks2, gvfs all require it...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=37871

For high-contrast, lo-contrast themes, I'll see if I can find a specification for that in the next few days, otherwise we'll be flying blind (see what I did there?  tongue )

gnome-mplayer, IMO, sucks. It has never worked right for video watching on either of the boxes I've owned (fullscreen= blank screen). With the deprecation of mplayer anyway, mpv Media Player is where it's at. It has a lot of clicky-pointy stuff right in the terminal, and you could also look into these front-ends...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpv#Front_ends

I meant to post somewhere that Infinality should be enabled OOTB. twoion has a thread and the steps I used are posted here...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 60#p410860

As an aside, I posted in another thread that I have no interest in a #! successor ISO. Obviously, I'm (hopefully) helping so I do have an interest. I meant that I doubt that I'll ever USE such an ISO, as I have what I want running from "vanilla Debian". My hypocrisy goes only so far (name the movie w/out using Google).

Prost!

-edit- the movie quote was slightly wrong (goes only instead of only goes)

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 17:02:08)

#120 2015-02-16 17:50:29

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I've been using gxine with some success for awhile now.

#121 2015-02-16 18:06:58

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

hhh wrote:

mpv Media Player is where it's at

+1

#122 2015-02-16 18:10:16

hhh
Cityspeak

Just a note, I noticed last night that Faenza icon sets (the ones in the Debian repo as well) spawn warning messages with file-roller and maybe some other GTK3 apps...

Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon window-close-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

... etc...

This may be just more of the incessant error message reporting that I posted about here (3rd paragraph)...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 21#p419221

#123 2015-02-16 18:13:35

hhh
Cityspeak

tknomanzr wrote:

See what you think about mpv. Download it and create a file ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf with the content...

fs=yes

fs=yes is fullscreen mode. Now right-click a video file and Open with... mpv and the video runs fullscreen.

#124 2015-02-16 19:52:21

Snap
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

Just a note, I noticed last night that Faenza icon sets (the ones in the Debian repo as well) spawn warning messages with file-roller and maybe some other GTK3 apps...

Gtk-WARNING **: Symbolic icon window-close-symbolic-ltr of size 16 is in an icon theme directory of size 96

... etc...

This may be just more of the incessant error message reporting that I posted about here (3rd paragraph)...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 21#p419221

xarchiver seems to work fine.

Be excellent to each other!

#125 2015-02-16 19:55:24

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

See what you think about mpv. Download it and create a file ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf with the content...

fs=yes

fs=yes is fullscreen mode. Now right-click a video file and Open with... mpv and the video runs fullscreen.

Cool. I'll check it out. MOC has pretty much become my default music player now, which helps to explain my obsession with terminals down low on the desktop layer. I'm apt to have any one of 2-3 terminals running persistent stuff at any given time.

Board footer