SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#276 2015-02-09 11:05:24

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

Re: The end.

Leaving a posy of white and grey roses in memoriam of the distrolette that started a lot of good things off.
** RIP Philip Newborough's Crunchbang. 2015 **

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#277 2015-02-09 11:06:55

timotije
#! Member

First of all, I would like to say thanks for this great distribution. Its been on my laptop for years now and when I installed it It was the end with my distrohoping. Also I would like to wish you best of luck in your future projects and life in general.

Thank you Corenominal for all you have done.

So now question for community, will cb stop to develop? There will be no Cruncbang Janice? Can we somehow continue with whole story?

#278 2015-02-09 11:25:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

#279 2015-02-09 11:29:45

jochen

I also like to thank Philip for his excellent work. I'm new to CrunchBang, I come from Debian Wheezy Gnome 3 and switched my 3 pc to CrunchBang a few weeks ago.

The main reason for switching was not speed (but that's always good), but the change to systemd in most Linux distros. Since Gnome 3.8 systemd is established deeper and deeper in Gnome and GTK3. Xfce is like a "Gnome Light", because it depends on many Gnome code. Even LXDE has much from Gnome. If some wants to avoid systemd (and many people want), the only solution is to go back to the roots, to some solution based on Openbox and Tint, like CrunchBang. So I cannot agree with Philips statement, that CrunchBang is no longer necessary in todays world. The opposite is right: in a world where more and more distros go Gnome and systemd, alternatives become more and more important.

#280 2015-02-09 11:43:38

tty-tourist
#! CrunchBangian

Thx for all the crunchbanginess, corenominal!

Like many other, I've moved on to use a netinst setup inspired by what I like from #!. Still, this was where it started. Using #! and coming to these forums introduced me to a certain mindset that continues to inspire me.

I hope that the spirit from #! lives on, and that good-natured people who dig grey-scale minimalism, biscuits, ponies and the like, will continue to have a place to hang out ...

"You're just a tourist with a typewriter." - Charlie Meadows, Barton Fink

#281 2015-02-09 12:02:48

dhinds

jochen wrote:

I also like to thank Philip for his excellent work. I'm new to CrunchBang, I come from Debian Wheezy Gnome 3 and switched my 3 pc to CrunchBang a few weeks ago.

The main reason for switching was not speed (but that's always good), but the change to systemd in most Linux distros. Since Gnome 3.8 systemd is established deeper and deeper in Gnome and GTK3. Xfce is like a "Gnome Light", because it depends on many Gnome code. Even LXDE has much from Gnome. If some wants to avoid systemd (and many people want), the only solution is to go back to the roots, to some solution based on Openbox and Tint, like CrunchBang. So I cannot agree with Philips statement, that CrunchBang is no longer necessary in todays world. The opposite is right: in a world where more and more distros go Gnome and systemd, alternatives become more and more important.

You're right.  The question is what base to build on, and the options aren't that numerous:  Devuan (forked from Debian w/o systemd) is a work in progress and it's too soon to tell.

SparkyLinux (built on Debian Testing) has an openbox version but again, it contains systemd.

Semplice (built on Debian Unstable) is a dedicated openbox distro.

ArchBang is alive and well but Arch too has decided to travel the systemd route.

Manjaro no longer maintains it's openbox version in-house . it was moved to "Community" and there's an openrc version.

I created an openSUSE version of openbox but they too have gone with systemd.

The major distros that have decided to go with openrc are Slackware and Gentoo.  Calculate-Linux is a Gentoo Overlay and a xfce desktop is offered.  I have used it quite a bit and I was very favorably impressed.  Calculate has a build service that could be used to create a an openbox version by someone that has the time and knows what he's doing.  I have found the Gentoo base (also used for ChromeOS) to be very stable, fast and comprehensive.  (It contained a driver for my Plextor External BluRay Drive, for example).

I offer these suggestions because I sympathize with the concept and the cause. I am a user, (not a not a developer), however.

#282 2015-02-09 12:16:24

sohesado

Thank you Philip.

#283 2015-02-09 12:25:37

damo
#! gimpbanger

jochen wrote:

The opposite is right: in a world where more and more distros go Gnome and systemd, alternatives become more and more important.

This isn't the place for a systemd discussion, but I'd like to point out that corenominal's comment about it was "Yawn..." (a close paraphrase). And he likes a Gnome desktop apparently.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#284 2015-02-09 12:36:34

greenpossum

Thank you Corenomial for #!. You have made the world a slightly better place and that's something to be proud of. For me #! has been the right combination of lightness and features and thus has powered many of my low-end machines for years. Many of my travel blogs would have been harder to write and Internet access would not have been so smooth without #!. All the best in your future doings and hope to hear about your new pet projects sometime on the Net.

Cheers,

#285 2015-02-09 13:14:32

0day
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you Corenominal for #!.
Now only:
Viperr
Archbang
Lubit
Debox
AntiX
Madbox
Gobang

??
sad

Last edited by 0day (2015-02-09 14:04:36)

#286 2015-02-09 13:16:56

zephyr
#! Member
Website

Crunchbang had a lot going on under the hood, and actually that is what separates the beast. There will be no replacement, just something that might suffice. Unless it is the brainchild of corenominal, and we again will have to take a look and a test drive. Nuff said-zephyr

ZephyrLinux/Star/VSIDO/ #!/Devuan

#287 2015-02-09 13:26:29

0day
#! CrunchBanger

#! is the best!
Not abandoned #!, try to make a version based on Jessie.
Sidbang?? Is it active?

Last edited by 0day (2015-02-09 13:35:58)

#288 2015-02-09 14:32:31

yt
#! Member

Thank you, I will miss #!.  sad

#289 2015-02-09 14:58:46

jrenaut
Website

I've tried a bunch of Linux distributions over the years, and this one is hands down my favorite. Thank you so much for all the work you've done, and good luck with your other projects and your day job.

#290 2015-02-09 15:14:21

M4china

Thank you Corenominal for all the hard work you put into crunchbang over the years. I credit this distro with opening my eyes to what a linux distro could/should be.

#291 2015-02-09 15:27:58

draclear#!

Just to say thanks to Corenominal for everything flavoured #!.  It was an absolutlely brilliant distro, and will be much missed, especially by the budget-conscious such as myself, who can't afford new hardware without deciding which child to let starve.  I'm not at all tech-minded but I've found #! to be the most reliable distro I've ever used, and what I'm going to use on my old Acer Aspire One netbook now is anyone's guess.  Thank you.  It was brilliant.

#292 2015-02-09 16:00:59

spacex
ew
Website

Well, as my daddy EW once told me. This had to happen. It's probably 1-2 years ago that I realized that Crunchbang wasn't going to be here for the long haul. Anyway, it's been a great distro, and I will pick up where Corenominal leaves it, and continue to develop it for my own purposes. As I don't agree with Corenominal that there is no longer any need for a distro like Crunchbang. Sure there is, because even if some of us are able to do it ourselves, there is a big group of people that will have difficulty in creating something as functional, with the same elegance and simplicity as Crunchbang.

There is at least one positive outcome of this. It makes it easy to move on, and I will no longer cause grief in this community. But as everyone now see, there was a reason for all the grief. I've been in a state of morning for quite a while. Anyway, now it's final. CYA elsewhere in linux smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#293 2015-02-09 16:32:14

Nucky

Thank you corenominal. Great distrib, restored my faith in great DEs for Linux. By great I mean, getting things done simply and lightly.

CB got me interested on DE hacking. That's why I think that I will spend some time looking for my next desktop, learnin hacks and tweaks and choose one that I can  setup from a barebone Debian. Spinnin' up the VMs...

Thanks again !

#294 2015-02-09 16:53:44

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

What everyone else said...it was all good. A very rare offering. Thankfully he will keep the forum open so we can all exchange ideas about setups and bases to use.

Last edited by Barnabyh (2015-02-09 16:58:52)

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#295 2015-02-09 16:58:03

0day
#! CrunchBanger

Show must go on....#! 4ever!!!

#296 2015-02-09 19:48:30

blackjack

As majority of what i read here seems to thank and respect what corenominal has decided, me im not! IM VERY ANGRY how the distro went, and i really dont feel it deserved to be halted after so many great things happened with it. Maybe im just angry coz its my first time using Linux coming from windows and i fell in love with this distro. I researched and found this distro, and now its retiring. I really hate it. I dont know. i still hope though that Corenominal changes his mind. Its not yet too late.

Theres are many people still in need to discover the power of this distro. My friends are also in shock as to how this distro went, i really hope someone will continue it if not Corenominal comes back realizing this is the best project he ever had.

#297 2015-02-09 20:06:37

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

blackjack wrote:

IM VERY ANGRY how the distro went.

IMO, it's like this. Someone gives you free soup. They collect all the ingredients, cook the soup, and then give it to you for free (crunchbang). Then one day they decide they don't feel like cooking soup anymore, and even tell you where you can get other free soup (Debian). But they will still give you bowls and spoons and a place to eat your soup, and people to show you how to season it (the forum). Is it appropriate to be angry? Not in my opinion -- the appropriate response is "thank you for the free soup, and good luck with your next project."

Last edited by porkpiehat (2015-02-09 20:07:05)

#298 2015-02-09 20:12:48

Hadrianvs

Words tend to lose their meaning in the light of these recent events.
#! is no longer on distrowatcch.org someone said. This is reality.
Thank you Corenominal for everything.

Salve!

Honeste vivere, neminem (altervm non) laedere, svvm cvique tribvere.

#299 2015-02-09 20:14:08

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

Philip did a good job making sure it was easy to transition to pure debian. So in my opinion you havent really lost anything, dist-upgrade to debian jessie and keep on crunchin...

Be excellent to each other!

#300 2015-02-09 20:48:20

snowpine
#!-a-roo

blackjack wrote:

As majority of what i read here seems to thank and respect what corenominal has decided, me im not! IM VERY ANGRY...

Hi blackjack, I see from your post history that you joined us around sept 2014. The reality is that corenominal's recent announcement changes nothing about your #! experience. Your experience of using #! after feb 2015 will be exactly identical to your #! experience from sept. 2014-feb 2015. Nothing has changed that affects you. If you are angry, then you are angry at an imaginary perceived change that exists only in your mind, not any actual tangible change in reality.

I also see from your post history that you have the skills to add sid/unstable repositories to your software sources, so you could very easily just keep on using #! as a rolling-release for years to come, instead of getting angry. smile

/hugged

Board footer