SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#226 2015-02-08 10:05:48

zephyr
#! Member
Website

Re: The end.

I was not ready to hear this, like many thousands of users, we were waiting on "janice".  I respect corenominal's decision. Recently retired from a 35 year profession which I loved doing, but I knew it was time to go. I understand his thinking. I weaned off windows XP to #! on Christmas day 2013, and after installing, I used my XP disk for a coaster for my coffee, as it is now still.  Would it be possible for the community to managed the distro?  #! deserves immortality because of what it is, it is an incredible work of intellectual art, a linux masterpiece. Crunchbang was not a broken distro, not discardable. Thanks for giving so much, and appreciate all that I received, a very amazing distro. -zephyr

ZephyrLinux/Star/VSIDO/ #!/Devuan

Be excellent to each other!

#227 2015-02-08 10:19:07

Crim

Thanks for the work on #!. It got me back to Linux (at least on my laptop). Amazingly enough it's worked just as well in the days following this announcement as before. In other words, I'm don't see any real reason to run out and find another distro immediately. I'm not particularly picky about which flavor of Linux I use. #! has certainly converted me to Openbox and I'd prefer to stick with that as well as wanting an install that's fairly frugal with system resources. There are some others out there I may eventually look into, but I'm not in any rush.

#228 2015-02-08 10:30:06

Aleph
#! CrunchBanger

I am very very sad, I started using Linux in 2011, I fall in love with Crunchbang, it was my first Linux distro. and it is still running in all my machines.

Thanks Corenominal for your work. Now I hope the continuity of #! as a community project...

Last edited by Aleph (2015-02-08 10:30:53)

#229 2015-02-08 10:34:03

ohnonot
...again

First of all, good to hear that the forums will live on!

about continuation:
I think something like crunchbang linux is still important to have around - it is not a great revolutionary distro (not a vainglorious one-man-project, but a rather humble one) - its genius is simplicity, unobtrusiveness, and immediate usability despite its openness and bare-boned-ness.
and, imho, it's not too hard to make it happen. stay close to debian, replace bloated DE utilities with simple python scripts, use geany as default text editor... and openbox of course.

these days, when you look at distrowatch or any random "10 best Linux distros" blog entry, the words "lightweight" and "minimal" are all over the place, but i find it to be meaningless most of the time.
it seems most distro devs can't resist the itch to include whatever they perceive to be their very own genius solution.
even the "minimal openbox" variations that are popping up everywhere are usually extremely bloated, compared to #! (no really, have a look at manjaro's for example).
i usually call crunchbang a "truly lightweight" or "truly minimal" distro. for lack of better words.

whatever.

thanks a lot to all.

it always amazes me that FOSS is actually possible, thrives, and delivers reliable results.
we are part of a global community.

the discussion of #!'s future continues here and here i guess.

PS: i don't think there's a need to stop using crunchbang, for fear of it becoming unusable. it's so close to debian stable that, for all intents and purposes, whatever applies to the current debian stable, applies to crunchbang, too.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-02-08 10:36:42)

#230 2015-02-08 10:49:42

wavic

Sad! I love #!

#231 2015-02-08 11:08:18

arbat3

After getting the sad news, and reading this long thread of the epitaphs, a have felt that it is right to add mine to say my honors and gratitude.
I use Crunchbang as a secondary distro  deemed to be locked in the windows world in my working place. I found it fascinating, versatile,  efficient and stable at the first try. It is a masterpiece of an approach which I miss in many op environments where the users get what it was thaught useful to them and not what is efficient  and gives the freedom and power to the user to tailor the things to their real needs. Using Crunchbang I have never felt myself a slave of a sytem. I understand and accept that there is an end but hope and belive that the spirit of this work still alive, because, those who have shared their gratitude and views and thoughts on this topic  or even reed it, won't let it die.
Thank You Corenominal.

#232 2015-02-08 11:18:15

juego
Website

Just created an account here to express my gratitude and sadness.
Been using #! for the past years as my main system. It's installed on all the computers I have.
And I never thought Linux Distros could stop, unless they ran out of users.
And I 'm sure this is not the case of #!.

I want to say a big thank you to @corenomial for this project and to the whole community who made it a lively system. This system fitted me so perfectly it hurts to read this thread.

As stated above by others, I would also like to build a case in favor of the continuation of this project. I lack technical skills, but I don't want to see this project die. I also think that CrunchBang is a way of life more than a system. And as such, I would like to encourage @corenomial to hand over the rights over the #! name to the community or at least to someone he trusts to keep this project qoing. I don't want to see this community seperated in different projects, trying to keep what was #! about. I would prefer this project going, with its name and community as it is. Maybe I'm crying over a lost toy or maybe I have no idea what's going on in the background. Maybe this isn't realistic. But I can't imagine @corenomial not wanting to see his project kept alive and grow beyond him.

For me, #! is essential in the distro landscape. The minimalistic approach, the sleek design, the keyboard focused interface and the low ressources it requires makes it my number one working tool. There is no other project like this. At least, I haven't found any that work out of the box.

#! is dead. Long live #!

#233 2015-02-08 11:50:37

D0rd

Pretty sad to see my favorite distro go, but thanks for your work man. You really did an awesome job!

Good luck in your future endeavors.

#234 2015-02-08 11:58:28

Peniblec

Thank you for the ride, sir. It's been fantastic. #! made me realize I didn't have to put up with the crapton of unwanted features OSes usually ship with. The experience has always been swift, simple and refreshing, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the infinite potential for tinkering #! offered.

Gotta get me one of those Decruftification Services T-shirts before they're all sold out.

Last edited by Peniblec (2015-02-08 11:59:06)

#235 2015-02-08 12:05:13

gonzo

Hadn't visited the website nor the forums for ages and just did so out of curiosity to see if Janice was here yet, only to see a 'The End' post. Regardless, thank you Phillip for implementing your visions so flawlessly and showing us the way. Many thanks also for putting such great effort and time, while also listening to the community for their needs, feedback, etc..

#! was the first distro I settled upon after a period of distro-hopping when I started trying out linux. It was lightweight, finished in such good taste, and just worked. It was also the time when you had just made the switch from ubuntu as a base to debian. I remember completing most of my MSc work on it. For all of these reasons, it has a sentimental value to me.

Even nowadays, I still have an old (8 year old) laptop running an xfce image of statler that my parents sometimes use. I have barely put a finger on it for the last 3-4 years (I live in a different country) but it still just works without ANY problems. In a way, that's how I see this 'project'. It will never die, it will keep on running flawlessly on many systems and in our hearts for many years to come.

#236 2015-02-08 12:10:06

Time
#! Member

New Members all coming and coming...  smile  Can not so easy to leave behind...

#237 2015-02-08 13:21:20

ZMR
#! Member

Multibillion dollar companies continue to release mediocrity and banality.

Whilst the distilled clear vision and execution of one man, funded by donations, comes to an end.

Thank you Corenominal for sharing this distro and igniting a community that made it so much more.  Thank you moderators for this wonderful corner of the web.  Thank you community for the help, advice and banter.

Best wishes to Corenominal in all future endeavours, and best of luck to those looking to carry #! forward.

#238 2015-02-08 14:04:56

Ariya
Banned

Sad that #! is stopping, but it would live on with the people, who learned Linux by using #!. I am one of them. I was using Ubuntu and #! gave me a jolt, and that jolt was good thing for me. I had to dig in to find out, how #! worked. Finally, as result of all that I made AliyaLinux. (I think 'made' is a better word than 'created' here.) You'd find it here; https://sourceforge.net/projects/aliyalinux/ I still don't know how to code, but I know how to understand the coding, and that came from trying to learn from Crunchbang. I dedicate AliyaLinux to #!.
Thank you, Philip!

PS: While I respect your decision, I hope you'd come back.

#239 2015-02-08 14:07:38

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

Like so many others, I'm sad to see #! end even though I have not ran it in more than a year.  Still I visited the forum almost every day, so I'm happy the community will continue (at least for the near future).  I don't currently have a "favorite" distro, and use a few different ones on a daily basis, and sad to say, while I really like the #! look and feel, it just didn't function OOTB the best way for my work flow and habits.

All the best to Phillip...hope to see you around.  I'll probably visit the forum for as long as it's up.  Also, please don't ever just close the forum down, there is too much valuable info here that could be lost forever.

#240 2015-02-08 14:30:57

Time
#! Member

We must restore us on http://distrowatch.com/. And we will take the first place!  smile

#241 2015-02-08 15:00:28

Nili
#! Die Hard
Website

Just saw in morning, distrowatch removed #! from the ranking, it's their policy for abandoned distro or how?

# Debian GNU/Linux 8:8.2 (netinst/stable)
# Packages Installed: 541
# Linux debian 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u4 (2015-09-19) i686 GNU/Linux
# Startup finished in 2.850s (kernel) + 6.473s (userspace) = 9.324s

#242 2015-02-08 15:27:55

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

#! Such a great symbol and crunchbang name so cool and unique in the distro universe.  Remember seeing crunchbang when I started out using ubuntu and mint lxde for a old laptop I had at the time.  It looked awesome and so different from everything else out there!  But felt it was too advanced for me.  One day when the wifi stopped working on it, I gave crunchbang a shot.  The wifi would only work on #!.  First thing I had to learn was how to start the programs I would install using synaptic, then learn how to add them to the right click menu.  Crunchbang took me on a journey to understand so much more about linux and operating systems, made me understand more even with using mac ox and windows.  I wanted to do something with the os it was a google away or would log into the irc crunchbang room and everyone there were so considerate and helpful to point me in the right direction.  There is still a great community here and I'm glad corenominal kept the forums up!

Corenominal thank you for sharing your setup and making crunchbang!  You truly started something great and produced a distro that naturally encourages it's users to dive into the heart of linux, that you can do anything with it, it can be whatever you want to the user, and what can be done when you share your work and ideas with the world.  Wish the best for you and your wife and family and hope you'd still peek in to visit ice in a while on the forum and the irc channel. 

#!4life.

#243 2015-02-08 15:45:25

diomed

This is only my second posting, but I wish to thank you. Crunchbang was a wonderful experience and it has changed the way I look at the linux experience. The troubleshooting and highly efficient windows manager made me fall in love. I may try Arch instead of vanilla Deb, just for the challenge. I'm very grateful for such a wonderful distro, and I hope you have a wonderful future.

#244 2015-02-08 16:23:31

speedy_86
#! Member

Thank you for the opportunity of using your awesome distro Philip.

I'm very sad to see the end of #!, as I thought I'd found the perfect distro for me.

Thanks, all the best for your family life and your ongoing projects and work.

PS: Is there a quick instruction to get the exact same #! configs on a netistall or other distro (arch). I think it would be helpful for everyone wanting to keep the look (while I did customize conky I left the openbox theme untouched).

Qui audet adipiscitur./Who dares, wins./Quien se atreve, gana./Wer wagt, gewinnt./Qui ose, gagne./Chi osa, vince.

Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?
- Gimli son of Gloín

#245 2015-02-08 16:35:23

zubcho81
#! CrunchBanger

10x @ Papanominal for the great work on the best distro out there (for me) smile Long live #! and let us do a comunity jessie distro with the #! logo.

I'm sad sad

Dried frog pills
As their name suggests, these are pills made chiefly from frogs, specifically the extremely poisonous ones that live in the vivarium at Unseen University and handled by the first-year students, so that if they kill one of them, not too much education has been wasted.

I use them daily! tongue

#246 2015-02-08 16:38:33

hyuecn

Really am sad to hear the news.

I love using #!; it is ideal for low-end systems. Corenominal has done a brilliant job making a lightweight system that runs out-of-the-box and that can handle pretty all the software you could want. Looks great too!

I hope the project can live on though, it seems such a shame that such a useful distro could cease to be. Even if it was a package for debian I would like to keep using it.

Good luck Corenominal and thanks for a wonderful project.

Insert something witty here

#247 2015-02-08 16:39:20

Elviswind

Philip, thanks for all the good work over the years.  I go way back to the days when Crunchbang was based on Ubuntu.  At the time, I just needed a lightweight OS for my netbook.  Crunchbang is now also my main OS on my desktop as well as still in use on that netbook.  I wish you well in your future projects.  I also look forward to whatever new project comes along to carry on the spirit of Crunchbang.

#248 2015-02-08 16:58:16

platonov

Thank you for your time and efforts and I wish you all the best .
smile

#249 2015-02-08 17:00:25

damo
#! gimpbanger

speedy_86 wrote:

PS: Is there a quick instruction to get the exact same #! configs on a netistall or other distro (arch). I think it would be helpful for everyone wanting to keep the look (while I did customize conky I left the openbox theme untouched).

Themes are in /usr/share/themes, user configs in /etc/skel;

Files and scripts can be got from Crunchbang Package archives. A good place to see the file paths for all the files which were installed is (for amd64 for example) here.

You would likely have to do a lot of script hacking to run some of them elsewhere though

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Be excellent to each other!

#250 2015-02-08 17:11:12

corenominal
WRONG
Website

1xx9Ks9.png

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile