SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#176 2015-02-07 16:38:44

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: The end.

Tried to respond yesterday when there were only 15 or 16 posts - reply wouldn't work - my ISP slow connect - don't know.  Imagine my surprise when I got up this morning and 6 pages ... read my way to page 5 and had to run out for an hour and continued on to page 7 before starting this.

@ Philip

first and foremost:

Thank you!

The longer version:
I'll do my best to keep this short because everyone else has expressed the same type sentiments I have.  #! is more than 'just a disto', it became a culture that in time grew and developed and as many here have stated, these forums became their online home.  All because one man, you, shared his/your personal setup.  We #!ers and non CB'ers all won, Linux won as is seen by the number of *Bang distros popping up out there.  Today we close a chapter in the annals of Linux and what a chapter it's been.

@ Becky

Thank you for being here and thank you for supporting Philip with his protect for as long as you have. I wish nothing but the best for you both

@ damo and pvsage
Somehow I think if you two get together it just might work.  Maybe DarkPony?   ]:D  I'll have to read that new thread.

@ the #! Community
I'll be here, running #! for as long as it it supported by Debian.  But will have Sparkling Dancer, ArpBang (that sounds cool too) and what ever else comes along in a VB or on hard metal Looks like my distro-hopping days are going to start again ... but they will be to try the offspring of #! and to help me settle on what will be my future OS.

One last thing, if I'm right in the numbers, three people between yesterday and today signed on with new accounts to make a first post ever here on the forums in this thread.  That says a lot in my books.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Be excellent to each other!

#177 2015-02-07 16:59:09

norrist

I just creeated an account in order to say thanks.  Ive been running #! on by T61 for a few years and couldnt be happier.

#178 2015-02-07 17:01:28

easysid
#! CrunchBanger

I never used #! (sorry), but I am still sad to see it go. #! and its community helped me delve deeper into the Linux environment and I learned a lot here. It helped me get past the basic setups into a lean mean customized setup for linux. Bravo to Corenomial for such a wonderful project and all the best for the future. Thank you to all the maintainers.

I am happy though, that the community will continue to be online. This community, for me, is the nicest bunch of people that I've known online.

#179 2015-02-07 17:09:37

Abdel

I respect your decision, but this is a very sad day for me.

Last edited by Abdel (2015-02-07 17:10:17)

#180 2015-02-07 17:35:50

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

"online home"

truer words have never been spoken.

#181 2015-02-07 17:37:27

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Wow. This thread has got six times as many views in ONE DAY than the Forum Etiquette post has got in SEVEN YEARS.  yikes

I also just want to say *again* how grateful I am to corenominal for this distro, which has inspired so many people, been incredibly awesome, and attracted a userbase/community from all over the world, including the French CrunchBang forums. It's really such a phenomenal thing.

Last edited by photonucleon (2015-02-07 17:38:00)

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#182 2015-02-07 18:18:53

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

photonucleon wrote:

Wow. This thread has got six times as many views in ONE DAY than the Forum Etiquette post has got in SEVEN YEARS.  yikes

I also just want to say *again* how grateful I am to corenominal for this distro, which has inspired so many people, been incredibly awesome, and attracted a userbase/community from all over the world, including the French CrunchBang forums. It's really such a phenomenal thing.

the Forum Etiquette post posted 2012-08-26 16:36:04, so we're not quite at the end of august 2019 yet. wink

#183 2015-02-07 18:20:05

drink_n_drive

Crunchbang = 'happy days'

Will never forget.

@corenominal: good luck in all your quests, and thanks for the big time

F5-ing

#184 2015-02-07 18:30:31

dvarkholm

I've been using Linux since Corel Linux and the ONLY distro that I've used consistently for 3 years or more is !#

Sorry Corenominal, but your resignation has not been accepted.

Oh ok, you're going anyway :-)

I wish you all the best... Mark.

P.S. If there was a !# party to vote for in this years political voting thing, I'd vote !#

#185 2015-02-07 18:46:00

ajnunezr

This a really sad new. #! give me great years of satisfaction using my laptop (And very few headaches too :=) ) I will miss this a lot.

Thanks corenominal and all the #! team for this glorious experience.

Wish you success in your next adventures.

#186 2015-02-07 18:56:19

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Digit wrote:
photonucleon wrote:

the Forum Etiquette post posted 2012-08-26 16:36:04, so we're not quite at the end of august 2019 yet. wink

I can't count  sad  lol

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#187 2015-02-07 18:58:47

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks Corenominal for everything you have done!
Crunchbang has been much more than a distro for me...it is really a sad moment...
Somehow part of me hopes it is not really happening while something in me understands the reasons behind your choice.

I don't have more words... just thanks a lot to you and Bobobex and my best wishes for the future...

m

#188 2015-02-07 19:14:32

HELPME
#! Junkie
Website

thanks corenominal for the life changing #! experience
please dont drop completely off the radar like the ignorant guru did (relatively recently)
and let us know what you do next because its bound to be completely epic

for someone whos been in it since inception I feel privileged to have 3 of your 5070 posts! big_smile
thats like .059% of your legend cool (bragging rites)

I wonder what your age is...
#! = 31 (when you type them individually without any modifier keys)
does that have something to do with anything? lol @ the things I think about
maybe its your 4th project? 3+1 or 3*1 or 3x1
is someones birthday on the last day of a month? january march may july august october december
do any of those months mean anything in particularly? they all have 31 days
is it because you hashed the factorial? something to do with security perhaps?
gallium is the 31st building block...
3-1 is 2 and 2 is <3
so are we the -1?

Last edited by HELPME (2015-02-07 19:18:14)

#189 2015-02-07 19:40:24

hhh
Cityspeak

corenominal wrote:

(seriously, there are some bat-fucking-crazy nutters out there with far too much time on their hands)

Reported for inappropriate language.  tongue

Thank you Becky and Philip, this is a very fun playground you've set up for us here. Best of luck and don't be strangers!

A question for Philip and the mods, who will be head honcho/final authority/the person we can blame if and when the forums come crashing down/become pony infested/have eighteen conkies running on them?

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#190 2015-02-07 19:41:14

hinto
#! Windbag

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Seriously, thanks for providing a great distro and a great forum to do with it.
"If I have seen further than most, it's because I've stood on the the shoulders of giants"

-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#191 2015-02-07 19:58:18

gozd

RIP beloved #! 8.(

It's so ironic the day thatCrunchbang death end was announced the very same day I was demonstrating Crunchbang to a friend  talking about its superiority, elegance, easiness, style and so much more...

Crunchbang was a love at first sight for me :8 It runs on two out of my five machines and I was thinking to install it in two more.

Maybe vanilla Debian is a solution but then Arch looks more of a solution to me...

Anyway a BIG THANK YOU to you and the COMMUNITY for all the help and support!

Great  Loves don't die!

#192 2015-02-07 20:27:05

davemb83

I wanted to add to the endless thanks for such an unparalleled distro and community. #! has been a near perfect blend of stability, flexibility, and minimalism for me. It will take a lot of work for me to set up a distro with which I am similarly satisfied, and since I would prefer to expend my energy elsewhere, #! still has utility for me. I'm sure that others will do a fine job of providing new spinoffs with a similar feel, but I probably won't try them. My hunch is that corenominal's attention to detail and vision were uniquely suited to creating such a flawless user experience.

corenominal, thanks for all of your work to make my day-to-day computing experience so smooth, and good luck on your future endeavors!

Also, thanks to you and all of the moderators for maintaining an unusually helpful and civil discussion forum.

#193 2015-02-07 20:32:37

burritomike
#! Member

I jumped feet-first into Linux last year on April 1st with a netbook install of Crunchbang at my little brother's suggestion. I have goofed around with a few other distros but CB has been my primary OS since I dumped Windows. As a (to this day) utter noob I have learned so much from using CB, using the forums, and starting my journey to a better computing life. So thanks, Corenomial, for a pretty badass introduction to a world I literally knew nothing about.

That said, maybe the best thing I have learned this past ten months is a new way to describe a certain type of people. From now on when I come into contact with a loon they will be filed right under "bat-fucking-crazy nutters"  lol

Lazy harp seal has no job. Lazy harp seal has no money.

#194 2015-02-07 20:34:51

mrgreen

Best of luck with any future projects .... an inspiration to me and many others

Mr Green

ArchBang Developer

#195 2015-02-07 20:56:11

glenmo

Thank you, corenominal.  Good luck -- I'm sure wherever you go you will be successful.

#196 2015-02-07 21:29:25

Inkmo
Website

Sad to hear it corenominal. Thank you so much for crunchbang! This has beyond a doubt been my favorite distro for years and it has taught me so much about linux.

One possibly dumb question for you guys: how much longer until we should remove packages.crunchbang.org from our repos lists? Since the forum (and crunchbang domain) will still be here, I guess it'll be safe for the foreseeable future. Also, there's no reason I should stop running crunchbang as long as debian is supporting wheezy, right?

Again, thank you so much!

inkmo.tumblr.com inkmo.deviantart.com

#197 2015-02-07 21:34:50

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

^ Debian will continue to support wheezy for the foreseeable future and Crunchbang does work on Jessie repos with a few hitches regarding needing updated GTK themes to get some stuff to work right. So this Openbox implemenation will actually work for the foreseeable future. I tracked Jessie via crunchbang for awhile and am now tracking sid. Everything is a whole lot more stable than many folks would have you believe.

#198 2015-02-07 21:55:41

banger2014

Hello Bangers!

Philip, I'm just speechless.  A friend told about this today, and for some reason I immediately remembered that this is how I felt in the 1970's when I was 11 years old and Quisp cereal was discontinued here in the states.  I feel like I've lost an old friend.

I'm a modifier- nothing I ever buy or use on a computer works 'as is' out of the box- I'm always removing something, drilling a hole somewhere, or changing something- it's just my nature.  When I first installed #! 6 years ago,  and clicked around a little-  I was amazed that I wanted to change *nothing*.  I can't think of any other time that's happened.  I am in awe.

@Philip,  thanks so much.  I don't know how you did it for so long, honestly- I am grateful.  What an awesome project- I have turned many people on to #!.  What irony that you called it crunch! bang! and it has been about the most stable distro I've ever used (dozens of them!) My son is here with me, and thanks you as well.  Best wishes to you in future endeavors. 

banger2014 aka kj4

#199 2015-02-07 22:08:07

maximvd

Thanks to @corenominal and the rest of the CrunchBang team for making this great linux distro smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#200 2015-02-07 22:20:12

farinet
#! Junkie

Thanks a lot for #! It made me learn a lot about linux generally and, curiously, here in the comunity forum i found the trigger to get close to fluxbox (remodelling in some way a fluxbox based crunchbang). Sadly, i've to accept your decision corenominal.

As for me, i think i'll change over to Gentoo (to avoid the systemd hassle) trying to build there my "own" DE taking most advantage as possible from what i learned here!

Thanks again and good luck!

PS. The enormous conky thread here in the forum IMHO is really outstanding and would be just a sufficient reason to keep alive this comunity!

Last edited by farinet (2015-02-07 22:31:07)

Board footer