SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-02-07 01:48:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: The end.

A hundred posts while I was asleep!

Well, maybe not totally unexpected news, but sad anyway. The end of an era.

Philip, I'd like to add my voice here in public to thank you for the incredible work you've done here over the last some years.

Crunchbang Ubuntu/Jaunty was exactly the setup I had been trying to get going at the time, and fitted my needs perfectly. It's no reflection on Philip's other skills to say that for me the biggest initial appeal of CrunchBang was how polished the interface was. I had no idea Openbox could be made to look so nice! Each succeeding version was an improvement and I think Waldorf is a model of an unassuming but polished user interface where everything fits together - themes, popups, menus, notification bubbles, font settings... Not everyone cares so much about these things, but for me it's the pleasant but undistracting visual environment that helps make working on the computer so enjoyable.

Gradually getting down into the system I realized that that same attention to detail had gone into things like device mounting permissions, daemons, network settings... Philip has really devoted many many hours into perfecting CrunchBang as a certain kind of Linux system that didn't really exist at the time it was first put together. Let's also notforget these forums that he set up and pushed out in the direction they have followed since, and this beautiful website it's all supported by.

But times change, and as The Boss himself has said, CrunchBang is no songer as unique or irreplaceable as it was. Some of the credit for that situation, though, must go to Philip himself. Apart from the thousands of people now running #!, or a tweaked version of it, many more have used it in the past or been influenced by it in their own work. What a legacy!

From the beginning, this distro has been a "one man" job. There are pros and cons to such an approach, but for me one big plus is in the way it all fits together. It's basically the desktop setup that Philip wanted, and he's shared it with us. You may have heard that "a camel is a horse designed by a comittee". That's the down side of the collective approach. On the other hand, we're now seeing that once that One Man steps back, the project comes to an end. To set up all the administrative structure needed to continue CrunchBang as a community distro would, IMHO, be a vast amount of work beyond what anyone round here is able to devote. Philip himself would also need to put in many more hours, at least at the setup phase.

Many many people are now inspired to try and put together something to carry on the CrunchBang ideals: some individually, some in groups. What comes out of all this is yet to be seen, but the job has been made vastly easier because we've got Waldorf as a template to build on. Waldorf is a gem!

So, Philip, of course you feel sad that this project is coming to an end for you, but just take a moment to look around at what you've done.

GREAT JOB!!

anmflower.gif

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#127 2015-02-07 02:27:21

StrangeCrunch

8.(   A sad day for me.  I just started using Linux and have found the community really really helpful.  Thank you to all the moderators and contributors to this forum.  Can't wait for the Sparkle Dancer!!!

Thank you corenominal for a great Linux experience. This distro will be missed.  Kinda sad to see The Linux Outlaws go and now Crunchbang as well.

Dell D630, Crunchbang 11

#128 2015-02-07 02:31:14

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

This community has taught me so much about Linux, scripting,  and my own preferences in computing that it actually hurts my face to say goodbye to it.

There aren't strong enough words to express the deep gratitude I have for both Corenominal and the entire community. You provided  not just a Linux environment but one of true learning and exploration.

One big salute and tip of the glass from Philadelphia.

Roar!

#129 2015-02-07 02:58:13

Ebinguy

Thank you for this great distro and all your work and effort!
I used it and became a huge fan.

Good Luck !!!

Viva La Crunchbang !!!!!

#130 2015-02-07 03:10:43

jalexander9
#! Member

...oh no, not the end?...My young daughter gave me that truly worried look on her face, too....

But. she would probably like SPARKLE DANCER some day to configure Conkys for her monitor...

Crunchbang is the most efficient and finest distro for our machines in our family...I wish you only

the very best for your family Corenominal...may I say you have shown the very best learning

and DOING GNU/Linux that allows alot of fun, and the courage to try new amazing tips and tricks

without complete fear of failure with such a great Forum community when you need a little

help from your friends, ...it was there to try again and learn!!!....

Last edited by jalexander9 (2015-02-07 03:14:35)

Intel Pentium 4 150 GB HDD 4 GB RAM

#131 2015-02-07 03:17:51

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

I haven't use #! since I got a newer machine late last year.  But i will say #! was the best very lightweight distro and
I used #! for two different periods (when I had dinosaur machines).  Corenominal, thank you for your work.  I do
agree with you that the world has moved on (low-end computers are powerful for DE [I am using XFCE]).  I am sure
others will step forward to continue "openbox" distros.

Sheng-Chieh

#132 2015-02-07 03:51:59

smacz
#! Junkie

First: @corenominal -- Thank you very much. When I heard the news this quote instantly popped into my head:

Because he's the hero [linux] deserves, but not the one it needs right now...He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.

I do truely hope your open-source career is far from over. As a community leader, I would have to say you rivaled Torvalds himself. From the beginning #! has been my distro of choice, and not just because of the immaculate setup, but because of how focused and helpful and knowledgeable the community was. I loved the way that everything JUST WORKED, and what didn't, got fixed fast. You set the bar. Props.

Like several others though, I do disagree with the assertion that #! no longer holds any value. Well...let me rephrase that. #! may no longer hold the individual values as it had in the past, such as being able to fit onto one CD-R, etc, and I do attribute that to progress and the passage of time. However, the ideals that #! was founded on are still relevant and more prevalent than ever. It will be interesting to see what Sparkle Dancer and subsequent spinoffs will grow into, but they have some pretty big shoes to fill. Completely taking a consistantly top 50 Distrowatch distro off the map, however well thought-out and reasoned it was, is disappointing indeed.

Lastly, I wanted to say for many many reasons, this news changed the course of my foreseeable future. See all of you on the other side.

#133 2015-02-07 04:15:20

snarkyguy

I'm devastated. Crunchbang is my favorite linux distro ever, and finally got me to permanently switch to linux on my laptop. Several of my friends have started using it recently too!

That said, thank you so much for all your hard work,  and I wish you well in whatever you work on next. I do hope someone carries it forward, even under the name Sparkle Dancer if need be.   smile

I'm glad the forums will survive; the paranoid security guide is also a fabulous resource I've pointed out to numerous people.

#134 2015-02-07 04:48:43

foxh0und

Thank you Corenominal (and #! team) for letting me hang around your campfire. It is a treat to cross paths with something or someone that just makes the world better. #! not only has done this (and still does) but has done it with class.

Thank you! And you're welcome around my campfire anytime!  big_smile

Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!

#135 2015-02-07 05:23:28

vikernes

I've been using Linux on and off since 2002 until I found Crunchbang, it was perfect for my needs and made me eager to learn Linux, something that didn't happen before with other distros and their desktop enviroments abstracting me for what was going on under it. It is sad to know that it reached its end, good luck on your next projects Corenominal and Thank you!

#136 2015-02-07 05:34:57

behrangsa
Website

So sad sad(

I just switched to CrunchBang a couple of weeks ago at work and can't put into words how happy and satisfied I was with it.

Anyway, best of luck with your future endeavours core nominal smile

#137 2015-02-07 06:47:01

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Wow...I'm really bummed about this and 6 pages of replies already.  I heard about this from someone whom I've tried to get to try out CrunchBang.

Thank you for the great ride, Phil, although I wish it could continue.

Now what...there is no other community like this community IMO, but without a distro, I just don't see a reason for it's continuance.

And I just installed CrunchBang on two new computers, the second one today.   sad

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-02-07 06:47:51)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#138 2015-02-07 06:52:44

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

#! Crunchbang has been an Adventure

I'm not asking you to be happy, that the #!-distro has left us.   I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin.

And if anyone asks what became of #!Crunchbang -- you relate #!Crunchbang - in all its wonder and end it with a simple and modest ...

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#139 2015-02-07 07:15:01

lordmacbayne

I am absolutely gutted by this news.  #! has been nearly the only distro I've used since version 8.10.  It's running on all three computers in my house right now.  I use it all day, every day.  It certainly still has value to me.

Anyway, I don't want to come off sounding like a complainer.  I am deeply grateful for everything that this project has given us over the years.  Thank you Corenominal, and good luck.

#140 2015-02-07 07:49:55

papparonny
#! Junkie

Thank you Phillip for all your time and effort! You have my utter most respect. Even though I haven't been active in the community for some time, CrunchBang will always have a special place in my heart!
Thank you all in the community and the awesome moderators too!
<3 <3

#141 2015-02-07 07:53:34

cloverskull
#! Junkie

Corenomial, thanks, it's been a fun ride! You've introduced me to Debian, more or less, which has become my favorite base distro. I still tinker with other distros but find myself trying to make them all look and feel like #!.

Best of luck in your future endeavors. You've inspired me to try to build my own Debian spinoff in the philosophical spirit of Crunchbang. If you feel like you've gotten all you can from this experience, perhaps your final gift to the #! community is enabling other people to see through to their own distro rolling destinies. Fare thee well!

#142 2015-02-07 08:39:32

pjbrunet
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Encore!

#143 2015-02-07 09:06:09

serious_lee
#! CrunchBanger

This distro helped me learn more about linux and using computers efficiently than any other. I wrote my master's thesis on it smile . Hats off to Corenomial and the most humble and engaging community of #!ers.
Whatever happens, Corenomial has not just provided this amazing distro but a fantastic basic set of ideas to setup your own #! environment on any base. That's an immeasurable contribution.

Again thanks and all the best in your further endeavors Phillip and Becky.
#Respect'#!'

#144 2015-02-07 09:09:09

axel668
#! CrunchBanger

@Phil: Thanks a lot for everything. For me personally, Crunchbang gave me back my belief in Linux when Ubuntu let me down ... and you will be remembered in Linux history as a pioneer, who laid the foundations for a whole new generation of clean, minimalistic, lightweight desktop distributions.

@Crunchbang Community: Now the ball is in your field. It's up to you, please don't let Crunchbang die !!

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila (Mitch Ratcliffe)

#145 2015-02-07 10:34:34

mikhou
#! CrunchBanger

Just wanted to say that it truly is an unfortunate day for Linux users.  While I haven't used my Linux install in quite some time, that's because my employer gave me a laptop and requires me to use Windows.  Since the vast majority of my time on the PC is work-related, I just kind of stopped using Linux full-time even though I had been a Linux-only (and specifically #!) user for many years before that.  However, I always knew that when I came back to Linux I would be coming back to #!.  I guess that won't be the case.  Thanks, corenomial, for everything!  You made Linux/Debian what it should be.

mikhou

#146 2015-02-07 10:37:20

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Lucky Me! I think when i moved from windows to linux in 2008,  i might have been one of those who were able to try out crunchbang  nearly from the beginning. Being a linux noob, at first there were only 2 distros i really felt comfortable with: Xandros and PCLinuxOS. But after a short period of just 3 month i finally settled on #!. And even intensive distro-hopping never let me change again to install something other on my main (private and work) machines.
So it's sad on one hand, that #! is kind of discontinued, on the other hand, #! and this forum gave us so much on ideas and inspiration, that meanwhile lots of us are able to roll their own flavour of crunch. Even me has managed to run a #! Animal now!  smile
So Phil: Thank you so very much for your dedication - and all the best for your future plans!

#147 2015-02-07 10:47:58

oupsemma
#! Junkie

This is the end of a wonderful adventure with CrunchBang , started a long time ago, in 2008, when small EeePCs 701 with 4GB SSD were being tweaked to work properly with a light Linux distro. Philip brought us his distro that made wonder on these machines. 

Together with Fewt (from Ubuntu then from Fuduntu) and the devs from Mandriva back in 2008-09, they were just awesome.

On old machines and small EeePCs, CrunchBang still is a really good distribution; on recent machines also.
I always have a CrunchBang live USB key in my handbag, it should be included in Swiss knifes, as a must have utility for saving PCs (or showing off with a Linux distro that doesn't look like Windows).

Thanks a lot for all, Philip! And also Becky and all CrunchBangers for this awesome community.

#Linux user 482038, eeepc 901 with #!, freed 901Go with Trisquel & gNewSense,
901 with Manjaro & ArchBang

#148 2015-02-07 11:27:54

indyend

Thank you. Crunchbang is Rock and everyone know it. #!

#149 2015-02-07 11:38:58

HELPME
#! Junkie
Website

is this part of the publicity stunt for janice? is this ritual performed every time there is an update? jessie is just around the corner!

i feel like Ive only just got here but am very surpised to see that I first arrived all the way back in 2013 boy/girl does time fly when youre having fun smile
shame it has to end here wink

Be excellent to each other!

#150 2015-02-07 11:48:48

wizard10000
#! Member

It's been said lotsa times in this thread, but thank you, corenominal.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
  -- anais nin

Board footer