SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2015-02-06 22:46:09

vlax
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: The end.

corenominal wrote:

Blimey.
(...)
Seriously though, thank you!

you're more than wellcome man! thanks to you for all your great contribution work

'_[=]_'

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#102 2015-02-06 22:49:04

jjcakes

Thank you Corenominal,

Have been a community lurker and #! user who always found answers here. Sorry to see it go but wish you and yours all the best in your future. Thank you for all your work, much appreciated.

Peace

#103 2015-02-06 22:50:50

scottro
#! Member
Website

Thank you for #!crunchbang.  I remember when it first came out, I was telling people about it, describing it as something like Arch for busy people, which was, of course, very much an oversimplification.  At the time though, to me it was the quick way to get an openbox install up and running without having to worry about it.  I've enjoyed using it through the years--one of my co-workers has it as their main workstation.

It will be missed, but I join others in wishing you the best from here on in.

#104 2015-02-06 22:51:07

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

8.(

This is my favourite distro by miles - while I'm very sad to see that it's going, I'm very happy that it has existed smile

Thank you, corenominal, for this wonderful distro, and thank you all, fellow #!ers, for being excellent! I shall be around as long as this forum is - it's my favourite place on the internet.

Thank you once again corenominal, for everything. smile

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#105 2015-02-06 22:56:00

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

san80 wrote:

Could anyone suggest any Debian+Openbox alternative if there exists such a ting.

"if there exists such a thing"  ... that's a joke question, right?

i dare say crunchbang inspired at least a dozen of them.

smile

so many crunchbang-alikes out there, and not just on debian. 

i still think the best plan is to collect those who are most interested and dedicated to helping maintain crunchbang as is, the crunchbang we love (no magpies who want to install a million whirly bobs allowed ~ such was the ruin of several crunchbang-wannabes), and get this devuan-based community-made crunchbang eternal legacy release organised and made.  wink

we have the community, we have the love, we have the distro-outline...

#106 2015-02-06 22:59:18

fu9ar

Thanks for your work!

CrunchEEE was great on my eee901. It would have been nearly unusable otherwise.

#107 2015-02-06 23:05:36

MarioMaster100
#! Junkie

Thanks for the making a cool distro Corenominal! It had been my longest installed distro before I got curious about gentoo smile It was a fun distro while it lasted.

Thank you everyone for being helpful and answering my questions.
Machinae Supremacy fan for life \m/_(^_^)_\m/

#108 2015-02-06 23:09:06

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Philip and Becky,

Thank you for all you have done for the Linux ecosystem and FOSS in general

You will  be long remembered as the innovator and the rock solid support team

Be healthy and happy and live long lives

smile

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#109 2015-02-06 23:37:19

Viomi
Website

I respect your decision as it is your decision to make (of course), however I must say #! still holds much value. A new user such as my friend who I am getting into linux will have no idea how to install and run debian and customize it with openbox and get everything ready. For me, #! has always been the perfect starting point for people who want a distro with a UI but also want to have to learn how to set up stuff and learn UNIX etc.

I am sad to see #! go, it has been very fun and I thank all of you for all the help.

#110 2015-02-06 23:41:00

gazpacho
#! Member

Thanks corenominal, really. smile
I started learning linux with crunchbang. Now four members of my family have #! on their computers by my fault and all are really happy with your distro.
Good luck with your new projects!

#111 2015-02-06 23:42:25

wiscot

Merci  smile

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfP3dgsCN7c[/video]

]:D

#!-fr     SxC    =^.^=    Handy-Linux

#112 2015-02-06 23:50:04

execute_
Website

Today is a day sad.. but thanks for all Corenominal !

#113 2015-02-06 23:53:56

paxmark1
#! Junkie

Having trained my replacement as a house mangager over three times over 10 years for faith based houses where mentally challenged live with "normal"people"   -- I have to say that there is a value of stepping up to the plate, working at  something for as long as it is fun, and then stepping back and trusting. One just trusts that there will be a continuity. that things will carry on well enough. 

Phillip, you helped me to find a spritely beautiful debian derivative and created not only a desktop environment that helped me to hone my skills but you ALSO were a catalyst for a community. The community is exemplary in its give and take, especially compared to many others around, and not just in open source.   

I have been around or very involved with intentional communities for quite a while,  There is a man called Jean Vanier who wrote a book called Community and Growth.  I would say that you have shown how to accomplish community and growth in the open source movement.  That is no small feat. 

Go have some fun.  Stay strong.  Peace, Mark R

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#114 2015-02-06 23:55:56

dkeg
#! Die Hard

Came by to say goodbye. Back when, #! was definitely and positive influence for me.

Thank you.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#115 2015-02-07 00:04:00

lowrider
#! Die Hard

Thank you corepa for what you have done. Sure there are many distros that follows the crunchy way but none of them is so polished and they all just don't feel right for me.
The prove that #! has a huuuuge followship can be seen easy on this thread (over 100 posts and counting on day 1...) and there is a reason for that. This community left me speechless and i am sure this is not the end. My best wishes to you and thumps up to the community. You are awesome.

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#116 2015-02-07 00:15:15

mahatman2
#! Die Hard

I'm sorry to hear this! Crunchbang was the first distro I used that got me really into Linux, though that journey took me through Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, and even Windows (new computer tongue ) and, hopefully, back. I saw the story this morning on HN, and it gave me an unexpected pang of nostalgia -- thank you, Corenominal, for all the work you did on this distro. Thank you, too, to all of the community, back when I was on #! and now -- yall are great. I'm glad to hear the forums are still in business; I hope to see you all around here sometime.

Take care, #!. I won't forget you smile

Punch all your friends.

#117 2015-02-07 00:32:35

spooky
#! Member
Website

Only bad things live forever on this earth ... was the first sentence that came to my mind when I read - The end.  neutral

You can't make a baby for one month by making 9 women pregnant.

#118 2015-02-07 00:56:50

woof
#! Member

Sad news, but much respect on your decision corenominal and thanks for bringing us #!. Since starting on the Linux/GNU road a few years ago its been the number one distro on my computer. Nothing else has really come close to its style, simplicity and awesome community. All the best for the future  cool

#119 2015-02-07 01:00:15

TheSandman86

I'm very sad to hear this news, but i wish you luck with your new proyects!
So long, and thanks for all the #!sh

#120 2015-02-07 01:02:58

herringonrye

Thank you for your service!

Crunchbang was enormously useful to me, and will remain so. The install process was always swift and painless, and the distro was a perfect exemplar of what Linux could be, and a distillation of the Unix Philosophy applied to a modern desktop.

#121 2015-02-07 01:08:36

DeepDayze
#! Member

Hello Corenominal:

As I haven't been here in ages, I am stopping in to say hi to you and the other #!'ers. Sorry to hear you made the decision to end the development of #!, and I wish you the best in your future endeavors. To me it's the lightweight distros like #! that have breathed new life into old machines and I can recommend 2 distros that can help fill the void left by the demise of #! and they are AntiX and Semplice. These 2 distros are well done and have a good community that I am sure Crunchbangers will like. Perhaps the devs of these 2 distros (plus any that others suggest) could consider taking over the good work you and your great people have done.

The sites for these distros:

AntiX:

Forum: http://antix.freeforums.org/
Main Site: http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Semplice Linux:

Forum: http://semplice-linux.org/community/
Main Site: http://semplice-linux.org

Hope these distros can help with users looking for new alternatives to replace #!. If others have any suggestions they should feel free to post a thread on them.

Cheers!

DD

#122 2015-02-07 01:10:18

AwesomeFist
#! Die Hard
Website

Hello. I used to spend quite a bit of time on this forum, I think I made a lot of friends here. Yet, I have moved onto vanilla Debian and haven't ever thought of visiting these forums in a while, until I got recent news of... well this.

Crunchbang was one of the first distros that truly introduced me to Linux; (besides well, Ubuntu, Linux Mint and a copy of Fedora on a family computer) It's where I actually learned a bit about it, and what I can do in it. Though really, what I liked most was the community here. It has always been great and super friendly, and everybody has been super awesome. In a way I kind of feel bad about not being as active here anymore, but that's simply because I moved on kind of. Though despite this, I kind of miss this place, it was really great, everyone here was great.

I don't know. This is kind of silly and cheesy, but what I am saying is bascially you guys were awesome and hope you continue being awesome! I'll miss Crunchbang, but I understand your reasoning for not wanting to continue with it.

(I also kind of wonder if anyone here remembers me even slightly, anyone? I haven't posted on here since 2012, that long? Huh.)

Last edited by AwesomeFist (2015-02-07 05:11:25)

Hello, I go by Plio most internet places now, if you are seeing this it means that you are seeing one of my elusive "older internet accounts" (ooh, how exciting) Yeah...

My Tumblr (it's kind of dumb. Expect lots of webcomics, videogames, and anime)

#123 2015-02-07 01:20:04

knowah

Philip,

#! was the first distro after I had made my mind up to ditch windows for *nix that actually felt like it was mine. I had been running Mint and Debian for a few months, but 2-3 weeks after installing what you made, after reading the forums and taking some suggestions from the great community here, did I finally feel that my desktop was my (computing) home. Thanks for all the work. #! will always have a place in my heart as I continue my Linux journey.

Last edited by knowah (2015-02-07 01:20:31)

#124 2015-02-07 01:20:27

M.I.H.H
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Really bad news 8.( , i've used Crunchbang since 3 years ago till now and i really love this Distro.. We won't forget you and your amazing work for this Distro, thank you for all you work and support  smile

Sorry for my bad english smile
i will continue to seek knowledge.
WiFi Ralink RT3290 | Intel IPS | Samba on Thunar
I blog at: billnode

Be excellent to each other!

#125 2015-02-07 01:20:34

EmeraldBot

Hey Corenomial,

Thank you so much for making Crunchbang! It was one of my first ever distros, and lit the spark that led me into discovering the Unix half of the world. Out of all the Linux distros, Crunchbang is my personal favorite, and I've really grown to like this place. We had an awesome community that will hopefully endure and an amazing preconfigured distro whose looks cannot be matched. I will sorely miss Crunchbang, as I'm sure we all will, but it was some very good times while it lasted. I wish you the best of luck in the future! May we all someday meet again. Seems like all the small distros are disappearing...
                                                                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                                                                          EmeraldBot

Board footer