SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-04 08:42:20

nix

total system freezes (unable to do anything at all) happening regularl

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I've been having since I installed crunchbang on my computer (thinkpad x230). before I thought this was perhaps a one-off thing but it's been happening increasingly frequently recently (sometimes up to three times a day). My computer will all of a sudden stop responding to anything. Nothing gives a response - I can't even switch to a tty. I end up having to remove the battery or hold down the power button and then restart the computer. If sound is playing then the last half a second of audio will start repeating over and over when this happens. I used to think this was caused by Skype but it's happened several times while Skype wasn't open - while browsing the internet, editing a document, playing a game, and even playing music live this has happened. It seems to happen at random without any warning. I'm not sure what logs I can give you due to the nature of the problem. I couldn't find anything related to my problem on the forums or elsewhere. Could anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Cheers,
Nix

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-02-04 10:37:37

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Re: total system freezes (unable to do anything at all) happening regularl

Hello,

probably a graphics driver issue. Please post the output of:

lspci -nnk

You can also check the error logs and post them here or in the pastebin:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
dmesg

You can also run the program "memtest86+" that you see in the boot screen. Just to make sure that the RAM is healthy.

Last edited by machinebacon (2015-02-04 10:41:31)

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#3 2015-02-04 11:15:06

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

^This. And you can always try to run Live Session - #! or whatever (Mint?) - and see if problem persists.

If problem persists (and wasn't happening before), then you may have faulty hardware (memory, HDD, or even motherboard).

If not, then it is most likely software (eg. driver) problem ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#4 2015-02-04 13:33:52

wooger

Oddly I've had the exact same problem in recent weeks with my own x230. I'd put it down to a problem with the crucial mx100 SSD I upgraded it with recently, as I was seeing errors re: ata1 not found etc., and others indicating that the drive had disappeared.
There's some corroboration of this issue on Crucial's forum.

Also, the same issue occurred in multiple distros, Fedora & Ubuntu both, so unlikely to be a driver problem specific to Wheezy / Crunchbang.

I've since gone back to my old hdd install, which hasn't frozen at all since.

#5 2015-02-05 16:11:03

nix

Output of lspci -nnk: http://pastebin.com/uyu9ruSb
Output of cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/ZzqH5L2p
While in that directory I also noticed a file called Xorg.0.log.old, decided to post it here in case it helps: http://pastebin.com/yszQ2L8C
Output of dmesg: http://pastebin.com/BCKZDC7D (note: I did notice some warning-looking messages in the output of that, prefaced with "---cut here---", but I've experienced no deadlocks since last turning on my computer so I don't believe they're related to the problem.

Board footer