SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-03 21:00:32

freistil
#! Member

Repositories and Distro-versions

This is not a real issue, so I post it here.

So Jessie is on the way and Janice repositories exist, but are not populated at the moment.
From a Debian - perspective first: What would happen if I install Debian Squeeze for example, change the repository list to Debian Wheezy and do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade'? Would I effectively have Debian Wheezy or just a big bork? smile

The reason for that question is, since I constantly try to explore Jessie and Sid in combination with #! (and yes, I constantly f*ck up stuff and repair it (I get better though, this is the way to learn!) ), I went over to comment the CB - repos out. If I just remove them and replace them with the Janice - repos, which will be built on Jessie and I somehow create a semi-stable Jessie-system (which I will of course try to port to Jessie stable if possible) here, would Waldorf itself not just being automatically updated to Janice then?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-03 23:04:16

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: Repositories and Distro-versions

#3 2015-02-03 23:40:51

freistil
#! Member

Thanks!
Yes, I managed to get to sid successfully without any problems.
I was just curious, how apt-get or aptitude would actually react if you start from one stable version and try to dist-upgrade to the other.
A little bit like the question, if you have a car and you replace every single item on it, will you still have the same car or is it another one  wink

#4 2015-02-03 23:56:55

hhh
Cityspeak

Cars are still mostly hardware, operating systems are software, therefore apples != oranges.  tongue

#5 2015-02-04 05:58:35

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

#6 2015-02-04 09:11:12

freistil
#! Member

I read that a couple of times in some Debian forums already. But all the problems I had actually came from not being careful enough with major dependency problems that apt-get created.

Maybe because 'sid' is now majorly Jessie and this is freezed already, so 'almost stable'? So I was maybe just lucky by picking the right time to start using aptitude. It seriously shipped me around many major problems in this case.

Board footer