SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 15:18:17

saneks
#! Die Hard

[solved] how to block wine apps from accessing internet

I don't trust windows and its applications, but sometimes I need some of them. In XP I had a firewall blocking some apps. In linux  I am worried about wine-apps "calling home", getting malware etc.. so I want to block all the wine-apps from accessing the net for good.

- is wine able to connect to the net in crunchbang? I am not running root, but I don't know how it is configured. (default)
- is there any way to find out what applications in wine sent to the net and if they called at all?
- i found this to have programs blocked from the net. will that work for #! as well?  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1188099
- is there a specific "crunchbang-way"? like installing a certain firewall..

thanks.

Last edited by saneks (2009-11-20 11:40:45)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-11-14 17:38:58

GuruX
#! Die Hard

Re: [solved] how to block wine apps from accessing internet

The link you posted will work. It's using Iptables, and that's included in crunchbang.
You're writing about not running wine as root. You should NEVER EVER run wine as root. That's beacuse some windows viruses will work on wine. If you allow access to everything from wine, you might get a virus on your crunchbang install from wine. Now, Crunchbang won't run the viruses, but they can still be in you files and spread to another computer you transfer files.
I set up my wine so that wine only has access to wines drive_c (usuallyfound in /home/[your username]/.wine/drive_c), and another directory which I use only for transferring files to wine. You can do this in winecfg.

#3 2009-11-14 17:52:43

saneks
#! Die Hard

ok, cool. but my main concern is: was possible before that my apps just connect from inside wine to the net and send private information and install or save all kinds of crap on my computer? we are using wlan, so theres a router around. I think this would be something that pretty much sucks, especially if people don't know about this and feel secure with linux. this should be written in HUGE letters on winehq.org!

#4 2009-11-14 18:58:15

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Afaik applications in Wine do have internet access.

#5 2009-11-19 23:19:20

saneks
#! Die Hard

another question: when I right-click on the network icon down-right  on the taskbar and tell #! and untick "enable wireless".. will wine-applications or any linux apps be able to re-connect to the net by themselves? - I use Wlan, which is set up to autoconnect on startup when at home. password saved, #! does not ask for the keyring anymore. - My thought was to just disconnect when using Wine and I'll be safe....?

(yeah, caught a nasty worm, perfume.exe, today in my photocopy-store. my infected windows machine is luckily not connected to the net, but is writing like a lunatic to any usb device every 5 seconds. bad bad windows)

Last edited by saneks (2009-11-19 23:25:14)

#6 2009-11-20 00:14:42

anonymous
The Mystery Member

If you disable wireless, Wine applications will not be able to re-enable it and connect.

#7 2009-11-20 11:39:57

saneks
#! Die Hard

excellent. so I'll mark this one as solved. thanks.

#8 2015-01-27 00:39:41

saljut7
#! CrunchBanger

Hi crunchbangers!

saneks wrote:

- i found this to have programs blocked from the net. will that work for #! as well?  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1188099

Sadly I can not access my (very shitty) router with Firefox. The router accepts the passwords via Internet Explorer. So I tried to install an IE via wine but want to limit its access to local LAN using iptables.

Following the tutorial mentioned above I use a script

iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --gid-owner no-internet -d ! 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP

but applying this script I get

$ sudo /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables_no-internet_rule
Bad argument `192.168.1.0/24'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Does anybody know what is wrong with 192.168.1.0/24 ?

#9 2015-01-27 02:55:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi saljut7, considering the thread you are posted to is dated 2009, and is about a slightly different issue, would you mind re-posting your question as a new thread?

Also, this thread has already been marked [solved] by the original poster so you'll have a better chance of help in your own thread.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Board footer