SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#3451 2015-01-08 13:02:27

g33zr
#! Die Hard

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

@ Anaconda: I agree with you about Cinnamon. I had mixed feelings about it when I first tried it with Mint a couple of years ago because it seemed bloated and slow. It's much better now. and, although it isn't as zippy as #!, it's leaner and faster than it used to be and I love the look. It's a beautiful DE.  smile

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#3452 2015-01-09 00:52:57

pingu
#! Junkie

I was using one of those hds with a small part ssd ( 500gb hdd +24gb ssd) on my main computer (#! animal 8o )and decided to finally get rid of the original windows 8 install, and I got the free 24gb ssd back. Today I finally concluded my plans of transfering my "/ ", "/boot"and "/usr" partitions to it.

My boot time with the previous installation was 57s acording to systemd-analyze. With only the "/boot" and "/usr"  in the ssd i got 26s boot time -- I didn't get all the configurations correctly the first time, thus resulting on the old root partition being mounted.
With all the trhee partitions booting from the ssd I got a cool 11.7s  cool. (I never used an ssd before, therefore I'm stunned. buying a "full" ssd soon) .

Now I'm still deciding which distro to install first on the newly freed space.

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-09 01:04:37)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#3453 2015-01-09 04:54:33

vic
#! by Default

pingu wrote:

Trios?

https://foss.rs/threads/trios-rc1-news- … nges.3059/

Time to move on!#

#3454 2015-01-09 18:57:13

pingu
#! Junkie

vic wrote:
pingu wrote:

Trios?

https://foss.rs/threads/trios-rc1-news- … nges.3059/

yeah, looks good with no systemd etc, but I think I'm good with my current debian system, and I want to get something really different.  I'm actually trying to install gentoo instead, but on a vm first, but omg this is not turning out to be a very simple task. yikes

edit: oh,, silly mistake. its installing now. (and it gave me the option of using systemd or not smile )
54a7iBVs.png

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-09 19:40:47)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#3455 2015-01-12 15:54:41

pingu
#! Junkie

I'm installing the gentoo on my netbook since yesterday evening.. and the last update I ran is still going on (for more than 12 hours now).
I found this article about it though, it explained a lot:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gentoo

While this packaging system allows for a very customizable operating system, only five, wait, make that six, users have ever been able to get one working. But those who do manage to download, configure, install, and troubleshoot all the necessary parts find that they have the most 31337 operating system ever created. To keep it that way and up-to-date, all they have to do is to run further compiles for not more than 15 hours a day, a very reasonable demand. But then, the remaining 9 hours it is the fastest distro around the block.

big_smile

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-12 20:36:44)

Linus f****g Trovalds

#3456 2015-01-12 22:44:56

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

"antiX-14-a4 available for testing"

Testing, indeed. I can't even install this thing. sad

At the boot prompt, regardless of whether I choose live session or CLI install, I boot into the live session. When I start the graphical installer and choose my hard drive, I am unable to choose the root partition (it seemingly doesn't exist).

Hrm.

Also, I miss seing crazy low RAM usage in htop. With 8 GB installed, I seem to default to ~256 MB used, regardless of distro, wm, etc..

Last edited by jdonaghy (2015-01-12 22:52:19)

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#3457 2015-01-13 17:17:42

pingu
#! Junkie

I'm finally done configuring and compiling the kernel for the last (99th) time now on the gentoo I installed on the netbook, and I finally have a working system after just a couple of days   8o

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-13 17:33:38)

Linus f****g Trovalds

#3458 2015-01-13 21:44:41

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

"I finally have a working system after just a couple of days" And that is why I never used Gentoo.  tongue

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#3459 2015-01-13 23:13:54

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

^ Damn. That's too long. I think I've been averaging around four hours with Gentoo/Funtoo. I find emerging xorg to be the only lengthy part.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#3460 2015-01-13 23:22:43

pingu
#! Junkie

^^ The processor is an intel atom, on an old asus netbook. I can't say it's lightning fast. I decided to emerge xfce desktop 6 hours ago... 91 of 121 dependencies to go (qtwebkit is taking more than an hour, maybe two yikes) . I'm sure things will go faster on the i7 once I'm done with the netbook and take a week off.  roll

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-13 23:25:14)

Linus f****g Trovalds

#3461 2015-01-21 01:54:16

g33zr
#! Die Hard

Since Jeff Hoogland announced his return to Bodhi and the 3.0.0 RC2 release, I thought I'd download it. install it, and give it a spin in VB.

I ran Bodhi for a spell around the time I first began running Linux full-time my computers. At that time, I found the Enlightenment DE to be "counterintuitive" and perhaps over-engineered, if that's the right term, but I liked Bodhi's simple base, giving you just enough to get started. I also liked its looks and speed. From what I've seen so far, this RC version is more polished and offers users an impressive array of eye candy without the bloat. Bodhi also offers users great documentation with its wiki, as well as documentation about Enlightenment. If you like Enlightenment and a well-conceived Ubuntu-based distro, you'll like this latest version of Bodhi.

Another distro I ran back then was Manjaro, both Xfce and Openbox. It seemed a little buggy, but showed much promise. Since I hadn't tried it for some time, I decided to install the latest 0.9.0 Pre1 version also in VB. The install was easy and quicker than Bodhi's, which surprised me. This version is the best I've seen yet from Manjaro and is a good distro for users who lack the time and patience to install Arch from scratch but still want a taste of Arch.

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#3462 2015-01-21 03:58:58

JWJones
#! Member

Haven't been here for a while, this may be the last thread I posted in. I had been using Slackware for a couple of years, but I have now abandoned the Linux world in favor of BSD (OpenBSD to be exact). Beasties instead of penguins.  ]:D

#3463 2015-01-21 09:20:04

arnold

Hope things are going well for you and your family Bones.

I'm running a Debian Sid netinstall with dwm which I'm thoroughly enjoying - credit where it's due, it's inspired by Decomposed Dromedary.

Enlightenment could do with a proper design team to, once and for all, remove all those visual glitches - oh and someone to stop the crashes big_smile

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the blue pill" -Me

#3464 2015-01-28 21:54:02

pingu
#! Junkie

I've just installed  arch on my eeepc netbook and i'm very happy with it. I can`t believe I hadn't tried it before. It's really amazing.

Yesterday I edited grub.cfg and placed arch in the first entry. 8o

Last edited by pingu (2015-01-29 00:10:31)

Linus f****g Trovalds

#3465 2015-02-06 00:27:34

spacex
ew
Website

Restless again  roll  Dowloading Wiper6 now. Never tried anything Fedora before. But better late than never. The question is...Will I like it or not. It remains to be seen, but the screenshot on their page sure looks awesome. I will be pissed if that is not the look I get ootb big_smile

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#3466 2015-02-06 03:11:28

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:

I will be pissed if that is not the look I get ootb big_smile

Don't worry, it is.
As far as I'm concerned, Viperr6 is just a fedora version of CB. tongue

#3467 2015-02-06 20:08:31

spacex
ew
Website

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
spacex wrote:

I will be pissed if that is not the look I get ootb :D

Don't worry, it is. . It probably formatted the efi-partition, even though I didn't
As far as I'm concerned, Viperr6 is just a fedora version of CB. :p

I'm pissed anyway. It looked great. But it totally destroyed my uefi boot. Grrr..

Even though I didn't boot in uefi mode, and only chose to use 1 partition for /, and nothing else, it still completely messed up my efi-partition, and deleted the Debian-bootloader. Probably formatted the EFI-partition, even though I didn't select to do that. Also, I did not get any choice as to where I wanted to install grub..

Also, even though I added my locales, it wasn't present on the finished install, leaving me with pretty much everything in french. Which resulted in me having to guess what is what, and that's where my patience ended.

Anyway, I'm starting fresh. Wiping the drive, and I'm going to install Debian 8 LXDE as my fallback-OS, in UEFI mode, and let that detect all the other distros I'm going to install.

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-06 20:14:07)

Regards,
spacex/ew

#3468 2015-02-06 23:53:06

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Hmmm, that's strange. I didn't have any problems... neutral

Maybe because I'm not in UEFI mode, and I had nothing in my HDD (other than windows), but even my locale was installed without any complications whatsoever. Only complaint I can have, right now, is that in some places the translation to English is less than perfect, but that's it.

Well, sorry you had that kind of problems. Hope you have better luck with Debian. smile

#3469 2015-02-07 00:55:59

lowrider
#! Die Hard

g33zr wrote:

Since Jeff Hoogland announced his return to Bodhi and the 3.0.0 RC2 release, I thought I'd download it. install it, and give it a spin in VB.

I ran Bodhi for a spell around the time I first began running Linux full-time my computers. At that time, I found the Enlightenment DE to be "counterintuitive" and perhaps over-engineered, if that's the right term, but I liked Bodhi's simple base, giving you just enough to get started. I also liked its looks and speed. From what I've seen so far, this RC version is more polished and offers users an impressive array of eye candy without the bloat. Bodhi also offers users great documentation with its wiki, as well as documentation about Enlightenment. If you like Enlightenment and a well-conceived Ubuntu-based distro, you'll like this latest version of Bodhi.

Hooray, at least one here on #! forum who gives Bodhi/Enlightenment a go. I follow the developement of E since the days of e16 and i like  how the devs continue doing things their own way regardeless of what others do. The return of Jeff to the lead of bodhi started the ball rolling again and things grow up fast. Enlightenment for sure can give you a headache first but once you get around with the concept of shelves/modules/gadgets/themes and "everything" you are hooked.

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#3470 2015-02-07 03:30:25

spacex
ew
Website

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

Hmmm, that's strange. I didn't have any problems... neutral

Maybe because I'm not in UEFI mode, and I had nothing in my HDD (other than windows), but even my locale was installed without any complications whatsoever. Only complaint I can have, right now, is that in some places the translation to English is less than perfect, but that's it.

Well, sorry you had that kind of problems. Hope you have better luck with Debian. smile

I don't need luck with Debian. It always work for me. I'm happy I started fresh. Debian Jessie LXDE is very good. No problems whatsoever. So tweaking it now. Will run lxsession without lxpanel, but with tint2 instead. Conky already in place. Looks promising.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#3471 2015-02-08 14:41:26

vic
#! by Default

Time to move on!#

#3472 2015-02-08 18:16:21

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

^ I was almost interested until I got to the part with the naked man chasing a woman with a butcher knife and a.....

At this point I went WTF?!? This thing funded by terrorists or something?

#3473 2015-02-08 18:34:58

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

I guess it goes with the name though.

#3474 2015-02-08 18:45:38

1002richards
#! CrunchBanger

tknomanzr wrote:

^ I was almost interested until I got to the part with the naked man chasing a woman with a butcher knife and a.....

At this point I went WTF?!? This thing funded by terrorists or something?

I agree, it is truly bizarre!
roll

Be excellent to each other!

#3475 2015-02-08 18:54:59

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

^ Not really, it's just placeholder text ("lorem ipsum") -- they even mention this ("now, continue with our lipsum"). They might have chosen better...

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/05/17/d … ood-stars/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Last edited by porkpiehat (2015-02-08 18:56:54)

Board footer