SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-10 13:28:54

Joe90
#! Junkie

Linux to the rescue - again :)

My son's samsung laptop's HDD started clicking away and refusing to boot.

No worries, I thought, we did a full recovery using the on board Samsung System Recovery 5 quite recently.

Bought new HDD (matching 500GB 2.5" SATA £35 smile), popped it in, booted up and pressed F4 for recovery. Nothing. Of course, you need the hidden recovery partition in order to restore. Waste of time! No recovery disc with the laptop, and we wanted all his data.

Picked up old HDD and slammed it on the desk. (no time to stick in the freezer!) Reinserted to laptop and booted up with Clonezilla in the DVD drive. HDD agreed to work smile

Ran full image back up of whole HDD, including restore verification (took all night!). Swapped HDDs over again, and ran restore.

Perfect.

Apart from wear, tear and abuse, the HDD isn't fixed in place in this model of laptop, so will be introducing a block to stop it moving, as I have suspicions this is a part of the reason the first HDD failed.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-01-10 15:09:44

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Re: Linux to the rescue - again :)

This deserves to be a youtube video, except the took all night part.

#3 2015-01-11 00:32:05

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Re: Linux to the rescue - again :)

I've used Clonezilla in the past.  It's pretty nice, but backing up a HDD takes some time.  I guess the time is worth it if you do not have all of your data backed up.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Board footer