SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-05 06:29:26

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Does #! EVER use more than 1GB RAM?

I'm installing Windows 7 on virtualbox, to be able to use Solidworks on it.
Now, I have exactly 6.96GB of RAM in my laptop, so I assigned 5GB to W7, and left 1.96GB for #!.
But now, as I'm installing W7, I see my memory usage never goes over 5.88 GB.

So, I wonder: can I assign an extra GB to W7, without forcing #! to use the swap drive?
I have used Solidworks before with only 4 GB of RAM. I know it works, but I also know it's slooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww...

So what do you guys think? Can I give W7 an extra GB?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-12-05 08:05:48

Nucky

Re: Does #! EVER use more than 1GB RAM?

Hi,

On my two main computers, CB never spent more than 600Mb at startup or after closing everything. On the other side, running a few browser tab, a mail client and few things for some time, it may be more than a Gb. In my case, when I run Eclipse, I can say goodbye to my free RAM...

So I suppose that it depends of what you run on CB aside from the VM. If you run heavy apps and the VM, swap will have some work. But I you just run the VM, a music player and a few browser tab, I think you'll be ok.
Anyway, you will be able to clean reboot Linux even if physical memory is full. So you should give it a try ! smile

By the way, did you try to run Soliworks on Wine ? You would spare the W7 awful amount of RAM it needs.

#3 2014-12-05 08:26:54

cloverskull
#! Junkie

I've gotten it to use over 1gb of ram, but I have a full LAMP stack running, as well as postgresql. smile

#4 2014-12-05 08:32:17

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

Don't forget that conky does not show the whole truth about ram usage, unless you tell it to do so ;-)

Edit:
From conkyrc:
no_buffers yes

Change the value to no and see what happens :-)

Last edited by olegabrielz (2014-12-05 10:00:47)

#5 2014-12-05 09:39:05

Joe90
#! Junkie

Depends what you are doing. I can easily get @ 1.8GB of ram in use when running Openshot with lots of video in use. Normal usage is @ 600mb. ( I have 8GB on board so not a problem for me!)

#6 2014-12-05 11:57:15

cloverskull
#! Junkie

olegabrielz wrote:

Don't forget that conky does not show the whole truth about ram usage, unless you tell it to do so ;-)

Edit:
From conkyrc:
no_buffers yes

Interesting! I didn't realize this. I'm going to change my conky config later tonight. Thanks for the tip!

#7 2014-12-06 02:55:52

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Thank you all for the replies. That gives me a much better idea what I'm dealing with. big_smile

cloverskull wrote:
olegabrielz wrote:

Edit:
From conkyrc:
no_buffers yes

Interesting! I didn't realize this. I'm going to change my conky config later tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Neither did I! Damn, just by changing that, my displayed memory usage went up more than 500 MB!
Thank you Cloverskull for that tip. smile

#8 2014-12-06 03:05:24

TicTac
#! Junkie

olegabrielz wrote:

Edit:
From conkyrc:
no_buffers yes

That is interesting and I didn't know that either. However, running htop gives me the very reading my conky does. I'll have to look into this further when time permits, what would be the functional purpose of displaying an incorrect value?

Last edited by TicTac (2014-12-06 03:06:25)

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#9 2014-12-06 04:42:54

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I know for me, I use to have it on my main desktop at the time that had 8gb of ram.  I mostly used it for browsing, watching Netflix using pipelight at the time, (switched it to Jessie now I had native netflix with google chrome) and some gaming on steam or play wow using wine.  I don't think I ever saw my ram go passed 3gb of ram, maybe 3.5 when gaming and like 1.5 to 2gb of ram when doing pipelight netflix and browsing on my second monitor and separate browser.

#10 2014-12-06 06:39:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

A recently installed Waldorf on a laptop with 1G of RAM booted up using about 87MB. That's before you start running any programs of course... (You'll probably need a bit more for a 64 bit system.)

On the buffer thing - if I've got this right, buffered memory is just stuff that was used in the past and the system thinks if you need it again soon it'll be quicker to get it from RAM than off the hard disk. Unlike the other memory figure it's not essential, just good to have if you've got the free memory space. The without-buffer figure is the one to watch if you're in danger of running out of RAM.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#11 2014-12-06 06:52:25

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

To view more on the subject RAM usage (no_buffers yes vs no_buffers no) read this thread smile

Edit:
Regarding the use and importance of buffered memory:
Linux System Administrators Guide: Chapter 6. Memory Management - 6.6. The buffer cache

Last edited by olegabrielz (2014-12-06 07:42:37)

#12 2014-12-06 08:02:27

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

olegabrielz wrote:

To view more on the subject RAM usage (no_buffers yes vs no_buffers no) read this thread smile

Edit:
Regarding the use and importance of buffered memory:
Linux System Administrators Guide: Chapter 6. Memory Management - 6.6. The buffer cache

That is indeed interesting. Thanks Olegabrielz.
So it's not that conky is showing a fake number, but it's actually only showing the non buffered memory, against the total memory usage when you have no_buffers no.
So, at least for my purpose, no_buffers no is the way to go...  smile

#13 2014-12-06 08:43:45

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

@ johnraff: I believe you describe it in a very good way. And linux is actually adjusting the RAM used to buffered cache according to the amount of free memory you have. As I understand the buffers is not critical but are of importance when it comes to efficiency in I/O workflow. I may be wrong. I am still a noob  tongue

Last edited by olegabrielz (2014-12-06 09:14:15)

Board footer