SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-30 14:44:12

Platoro

Dual Boot possibilities

Hello community,
I've always used Windows, but lately I decided to move to a linux distribution (Crunchbang).
Ahimé, I really like videogames and as we know, most of them run (natively) on windows.
So, I was considering to set a dual boot system on my desktop PC with Crunchbang as default OS and Windows (8.1) as second option.
And then I got an idea: everytime I start the computer I would like to launch linux directly, without passing through the bootloader (I mean the os selection menu). And then having a program (or script or similar) to restart the computer and launch Windows, and, again, skipping the bootloader.
Now, I know such thing would not be a really good idea (boot time, useless restart and others), but it would be really nice to have such a feature.
Maybe someone knows if this is possible (I think it is possible by playing a little bit with GRUB) and how hard it would be to realize, but I would really like to know what you think about it and if there's a way to do this.

I apologize in advance for my bad English.

Last edited by Platoro (2014-11-30 15:07:38)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-30 14:59:05

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Dual Boot possibilities

but it would be really nice to have such a feature.

How on earth would that be a "feature"? If you are going to be using a linux OS only to boot Windows, why have the linux in the first place hmm

Anyway, every OS on the planet needs a bootloader of some kind, or it won't, er, boot

Or am I completely misunderstanding you?

Last edited by damo (2014-11-30 15:01:06)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2014-11-30 15:03:46

Platoro

damo wrote:

but it would be really nice to have such a feature.

How on earth would that be a "feature"?

Anyway, every OS on the planet needs a bootloader of some kind, or it won't, er, boot

By "feature" I mean aspect, something that adds to the product (crunchbang in this case)

You have to excuse me, by "skipping the bootloader" I meant skipping the selection menu, in which you choose the operating system to launch.

However to clarify, I know that at this point I could stay on windows without the need of any linux distro, but because of where I study (university) it would be easier to me to use linux.

Last edited by Platoro (2014-11-30 15:23:07)

#4 2014-11-30 15:24:49

damo
#! gimpbanger

Put Windows as the first item in the grub boot menu, and set the timeout to say 2 secs. This will boot it almost immediately, but still leave you time to intervene when you want to boot crunchbang.

You can edit grub manually, for example using How do you manage multiple distros with grub2?

The easy way is to install grub-customizer from launchpad. This isn't risk free, because it is an Ubuntu application, but I have found it to work OK. Install grub-customizer without adding a ppa

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#5 2014-11-30 15:54:33

Platoro

That could be a solution, but I'm a developer, I'm lazy by definition ( big_smile ).
Let's see if someone can provide me with a different solution.

#6 2014-11-30 16:13:43

damo
#! gimpbanger

Platoro wrote:

That could be a solution, but I'm a developer, I'm lazy by definition ( big_smile ).

OK, but I reckon that what you suggested to do ie automatically boot linux, shut it down then reboot windows is bizarre. It would require a LOT of research and writing scripts, which as a lazy person I'm sure you don't want to do. Changing the boot menu order is trivial in comparison, and I do it regularly.

Minimal effort (if typing in a terminal isn't too much trouble tongue )

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends startupmanager
gksudo startupmanager &

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2014-11-30 16:14:16

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

You could set the timeout to "zero" and just hold down shift when you want to see the menu...

Or if that's not good enough for you, maybe put some of those development skills to use & provide the community with a solution to your "problem" wink

#8 2014-11-30 16:16:53

Platoro

You're right as always, but developers like challenges too, or at least I do.
I'll do what you suggested for now, but if I find a way, I will post about it here.

#9 2014-11-30 16:18:51

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

That actually seems like a good idea @HoaS
*edits his grub files
8o

Platoro wrote:

I see.

#10 2014-11-30 16:18:56

damo
#! gimpbanger

Platoro wrote:

You're right as always.

First time anyone has said that to me (apart from my daughter, employing heavy irony) big_smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#11 2014-11-30 16:26:21

Platoro

CSCoder4ever wrote:

That actually seems like a good idea @HoaS
*edits his grub files
8o

Platoro wrote:

I see.

cool

damo wrote:
Platoro wrote:

You're right as always.

First time anyone has said that to me (apart from my daughter, employing heavy irony) big_smile

cool

#12 2014-11-30 21:00:47

vic
#! by Default

damo wrote:
Platoro wrote:

You're right as always.

It is the wife that is always right. No irony!  ]:D

Time to move on!#

#13 2014-12-02 00:10:17

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@Platoro:  This would probably have been better in the Help & Support (Stable) forum.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#14 2014-12-02 03:13:28

Twix2247

I have a Samsung Chronos 7 laptop and had trouble using GRUB on #! to dual boot windows.  I think it had something to do with the UEFI.  I really liked Crunchbang, but needed Windows 7 as well and I didn't like running Crunchbang in a VM.  So in my search I came across this solution on YouTube

It basically uses the Window's boot loader and not GRUB to boot Crunchbang and/or Windows. More correctly it boots the Windows boot loader, after selecting Crunchbang, it then loads GRUB and then Crunchbang, not sure why it loads GRUB, but it works.

Just another option.  I am not sure if this really helps you, since I think you are asking on how to bypass the boot loader, which I don't think is possible.

#15 2014-12-02 04:34:34

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Twix2247 wrote:

...it then loads GRUB and then Crunchbang, not sure why it loads GRUB, but it works.

GRUB was probably installed when you installed CrunchBang.  Perhaps you were distracted during the CrunchBang install and missed the part about installing GRUB.

Yes, UEFI can be troublesome, but I've seen workarounds posted here in the forums.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Board footer