SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-02 15:36:07

chaanakya
#! Die Hard

How do I create a chroot jail?

I've been trying to look for answers on Google, but most of the answers are not encouraging.  First, the program must be self-contained.  Second, I have to copy over the actual binary into the proper path in the chroot (as well as all libraries, etc).  Is there another, better way to jail apps without all of this hassle?

Thanks in advance!

- Chaanakya

Check out Musik - an easy-to-use text-to-music converter!
Join SpiderOak using this link and get an extra 1 GB free: https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 660e787ff1

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-08-17 21:24:08

tradetaxfree
#! CrunchBanger

Re: How do I create a chroot jail?

Have a look at sandfox

Sandfox runs programs within sandboxes which limit the programs’ access to only the folders you specify. Programs and their child processes, like Firefox plugins, Flash, and Java, are only able to access files within the sandbox. Sandfox supports the use of custom profiles which determine what folders and files are included in each program’s sandbox, and includes default profiles for Firefox, Skype, and Google-Earth. Sandfox can create separate sandboxes for each program, or can run multiple programs in one sandbox. Programs are run in a chroot jail as a normal user, providing a substantial level of security. Sandfox is designed to be very easy to use. It handles the details for you while still giving you the ability to construct custom sandboxes easily.

I have profiles for pidgin / thunderbird as well as the above.

#3 2011-08-18 17:41:52

chaanakya
#! Die Hard

Thanks!  I'll def take a look at that! smile

Check out Musik - an easy-to-use text-to-music converter!
Join SpiderOak using this link and get an extra 1 GB free: https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 660e787ff1

#4 2012-07-18 11:57:45

tradetaxfree
#! CrunchBanger

Sorry for bumping an old thread - I've put an init script & guide for running Sandfox I mentioned above here

#5 2014-11-29 19:57:22

tradetaxfree
#! CrunchBanger

An even simpler chroot solution is to use an Alpine Linux LXC container (a working system is 5 meg in size). For extra security run Unprivileged LXC Containers.

Board footer