SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-22 23:57:14

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Recording my radio show streaming

At the moment, I use this code to record my radio show and it works great. I'm recording off air from a radio attached to my computer.

arecord -t wav -f cd -d 8800 /home/randy/Desktop/intransition.wav

I put this code in my crontab file and set the time I want it to record. Works like a charm.

What I want to try now as an added measure of protection so that I have extra backups of my show is to have the ability to record my show from the command line, and then put that in my crontab.

This is the link I will be using:

http://tunein.com/radio/CHUO-FM-891-s20289/ 

How can I do this? Streamripper seems to only work with Shoutcast. My show is tomorrow so if I can find a solution by tomorrow, that would be great! smile

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-11-23 00:29:23

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Re: Recording my radio show streaming

you need to figure out what the stream url is (chrome has a sniffing tool build in, ctrl+shift+i, /network), that is the stream that is delivered to flash thingy on the page, or to your stream-ripper.

#3 2014-11-23 08:00:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi rmcellig you're short of time, so try this:
http://icecast1.isiglobal.ca/chuo.mp3
It seems to work OK with streamripper.

(On Firefox go to that page, pause the player, do "inspect element" somewhere nearby, go to the network tab,  unpause, right-click "copy url" for chuo.mp3)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#4 2014-11-23 21:47:39

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks johnraff!

I figured this out last night and I have to say that coming from the Mac side for so many years that the terminal, after so much trial and error on my part has to be one of the greatest things about using Linux. I took the code below and just copied it to all my computers in the crontab so that my shows were recorded on each computer and at specific times.

50 10 * * 7 streamripper http://icecast1.isiglobal.ca:80/chuo.mp3 -d /home/randy/ihtsbnov2314 -s -l 6200
50 11 * * 7 streamripper http://icecast1.isiglobal.ca:80/chuo.mp3 -d /home/randy/intransitionnov2314 -s -l 8200
50 9 * * 7 streamripper http://icecast1.isiglobal.ca:80/chuo.mp3 -d /home/randy/bosnianshownov2314 -s -l 6200

Super easy!! Now the only thing is that the files that resulted looked like this  - .mp3.

I'm still figuring out how I can name each file by studying the Man page.

The sound of the streamed recordings is quite good so now I have to decide whether to use the off air recordings I make every week or the NEW streamed recordings. Tough decisions smile

Cheers Randy

#5 2014-11-24 06:05:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I noticed that -.mp3 thing yesterday. Guessing that the station isn't sending any metadata about the tracks for streamripper to break the stream up or rename files.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#6 2014-11-24 08:28:09

ohnonot
...again

rmcellig wrote:

The sound of the streamed recordings is quite good so now I have to decide whether to use the off air recordings I make every week or the NEW streamed recordings.

i don't think streamripper is making any conversion by default, so the sound should be of the same quality (is the same) as what you broadcast, no?

#7 2014-11-24 10:01:06

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Yes. You're right. The sound should be the same. Sometimes when I recordvoff air I get some interference so it's nice to have the streaming option I can used. And like I said it's so easy to set up. I'll play around with the streamripper options to see what they offer.

Cheers Randy

Board footer