SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-22 21:29:59

wesleysinks

Greetings from Durham, NC

Hi,

I'm new to #! and also new to Linux altogether. I was fed up with the Windows 8 installation on my notebook and decided to dual boot. All went well until I tried to boot Windows again. Oh well... crash course!

I'll likely be in need of a lot of help while I get everything situated on this new setup, but so far, I like everything and I even got my right click pad working just by browsing the helpful forum topics. I have a strong interest in Web Design and Development and some prior knowledge of GIMP for design purposes. If you think there is anything that would be helpful to me as a new user, feel free to let me know!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-11-22 21:35:34

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Greetings from Durham, NC

Welcome to Crunchbang and the wonderful world of configurable FOSS!

wesleysinks wrote:

... If you think there is anything that would be helpful to me as a new user, feel free to let me know!

There is a search icon at the top right of the page. Most questions have been asked/answered at some point, so that should be you first point-of-call wink

Also I'd suggest you get used to using the terminal - after it becomes more familiar you will find out what a powerful tool it can be. Check out some common Linux commands (websearch for tutorials etc), play with bash scripts etc.

Enjot the ride smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2014-11-23 01:29:52

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Ah, a CrunchBang user in Red Hat land  big_smile  Welcome to the distro and damo has pretty much covered it. Enjoy!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#4 2014-11-23 11:34:33

vic
#! by Default

Welcome to the #!forums and enjoy the breeze of fresh smelly #!

Time to move on!#

#5 2014-11-23 21:13:35

wesleysinks

Thanks Everyone!

I actually was able to get Win8 to work after installing, but it's a non-ideal workaround that I'm using for Windows. I was getting a Boot/BCD error when trying to boot Windows from the grub list. I happen to be on a Lenovo notebook with OneKey Recovery, so I figured I'd give it a shot... Basically, I'm able to boot Win8 if I power on my PC from the "Novo" button and select Boot Menu. It works for now and I'm booting #! primarily anyway. I actually really noticed how slow Win8 felt until returning to it from #!. I'm definitely sold on the minimalist approach to OS as it's right in line with my values on all other aspects of life.

Now I just need to keep learning how to use the terminal as a new Linux user! I actually added some text to my default Conky setup with some command reference for file & directory commands. I'm really looking forward to further tinkering and it looks like there is a wealth of information right here!

P.S. Somewhat off topic: Ardour seems to be a pretty in-depth and well built DAW when compared up to some of the others I've used over the past 10 years. I was primarily using FL Studio on Windows (mostly because I had for several years) but I like what I see so far here. I was also happy to get Sublime Text installed and set up.

Board footer