SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-13 14:55:30

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

Help with CPU temp monitoring and hopefully fan control

I have this PC here that likes to heat up when I do stuff. On Windows, controlling the fans is as easy opening up SpeedFan and telling it what I want. On Linux (with this PC, at least), it's nowhere near as easy. I installed lm-sensors, but sensors-detect can't seem to find anything. From research, I can see my sensor chip is the A8000, which is a DME1737 in disguise according to lm-sensors which is what SpeedFan detects. Any ideas on why this chip that's supposedly supported isn't working?

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-11-13 23:06:26

twoion

Re: Help with CPU temp monitoring and hopefully fan control

A problem that frequently occurs in conjunction with fancontrol is that the ACPI driver for your hardware does not allow for manual control by default or does not support the underlying hardare at all.

For example, I have a Thinkpad as a laptop, and in order to make the fan control files in /proc (or /sys) writable -- this is a prerequise for using software-based fancontrol since fancontrol drives the fan using this interface --, I have to load the responsible kernel module with an explicit parameter in /etc/modules, namely

thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

My suggestion would be finding out which kernel module does your ACPI handling. Next, go to https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ and find the documentation for the respective kernel module (these are all .txt files) and check whether extra configuration like shown above is necessary. If there is no support in the current Wheezy kernel (=parameters have no or wrong effects), try a newer kernel from the backports repository, since only newer kernel versions provide updated/more drivers.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#3 2014-11-14 07:30:01

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@twoion...might it be helpful if Different55 pulled a later kernel from the Backports repo?

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#4 2014-11-14 14:53:31

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

twoion wrote:

A problem that frequently occurs in conjunction with fancontrol is that the ACPI driver for your hardware does not allow for manual control by default or does not support the underlying hardare at all.

For example, I have a Thinkpad as a laptop, and in order to make the fan control files in /proc (or /sys) writable -- this is a prerequise for using software-based fancontrol since fancontrol drives the fan using this interface --, I have to load the responsible kernel module with an explicit parameter in /etc/modules, namely

thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

My suggestion would be finding out which kernel module does your ACPI handling. Next, go to https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ and find the documentation for the respective kernel module (these are all .txt files) and check whether extra configuration like shown above is necessary. If there is no support in the current Wheezy kernel (=parameters have no or wrong effects), try a newer kernel from the backports repository, since only newer kernel versions provide updated/more drivers.

Okay, I found the driver responsible: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hwmon/dme1737
The address that SpeedFan finds my chip on is on the list of addresses scanned by the driver, so once I get that driver set up I should be good to go, right?

According to lm-sensors.org, my chip has been supported by the kernel since 2.6, but before I learned that, I had already upgraded to 3.16 hoping that it would fix my problem.

Last edited by Different55 (2014-11-14 14:59:19)

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#5 2014-11-14 16:34:39

twoion

This looks good. What you are interested in are the PWM controls. From the documentation:

PWM outputs 1-3 can be configured to operate either in manual or automatic mode by setting the appropriate enable attribute accordingly. PWM outputs 5-6 can only operate in manual mode, their enable attributes are therefore read-only.

You need to set this attribute to '1':

pwm[1-3]_enable			RW	Enable of PWM outputs 1-3. Supported
					values are:
			                0: turned off (output @ 100%)
			                1: manual mode
				        2: automatic mode

You can first test this by writing "1" to the relevant files in the procfs:

# echo 1 > /path/to/pwm{1,2,3}_enable

in accordance with what lm-sensors/fancontrol reports regarding the control file it wants to write to.

If everything works, you should be able to add a line like this to /etc/modules:

dme1737 pwm1_enable=1 pwm2_enable=1 pwm3_enable=1

depending on what you need.

Last edited by twoion (2014-11-14 16:35:15)

#6 2014-11-14 23:52:18

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

twoion wrote:

You can first test this by writing "1" to the relevant files in the procfs:

# echo 1 > /path/to/pwm{1,2,3}_enable

in accordance with what lm-sensors/fancontrol reports regarding the control file it wants to write to.

This is where you lost me. I can't find any files in /proc/ with a name like that. The ACPI folder only has a file called wakeup, and I can't see any mention of where lm-sensors is trying to write. The only mention of anything relevant-looking is here:

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): 
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'...               No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found `SMSC DME1737 Super IO'                               
    (hardware monitoring capabilities accessible via SMBus only)

but after all that it still says

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your system has no sensors, or they are not supported, or
they are connected to an I2C or SMBus adapter that is not
supported. If you find out what chips are on your board, check
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices for driver status.

Last edited by Different55 (2014-11-14 23:53:06)

#7 2014-11-15 01:07:27

twoion

This is interesting.

Could you please check if your issue is related to this one on the lm-sensors mailing list by inspecting the same logs they do? DME1737 not recognized (from Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:22:09 +0200, so it's very recent). This issue might not be specific to Debian but to the actual lm-sensors package or rather to your possibly unusually wired hardware. Therefore, you could try asking their mailing list, referring to the thread I linked.

#8 2014-12-02 21:15:32

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

Sorry for the huge gap since my last post. I've been busy with surgery stuff. I'm mostly fine now, though, so I'm back. tongue

It's kind of embarrassing but I have no idea how to use a mailing list. >_> I'm poking around at it right now but all I see is that I should probably be sending an email to lm-sensors@something.somethingelse. Once I can figure out what the last part is, I'll try sending an email.

I read that thread you linked to, and it seems that we're having different problems. They talked a lot about it being routed to IRQ 255 (what do these words even mean >_>), but for me it's a more normal-looking IRQ 19.

Board footer