SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#326 2014-06-13 14:57:24

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

#!_828 wrote:

Silly Earth pony!  How U pull trigger on that gun with hoof? lol  Besides, bunny is already Angel - cannot kill. tongue
@artist-who-made-that-image:  Wherever did you come up with such an original concept? roll

@snowpine:  For an ex-moderator, you do an admirable job of keeping things moderate around here.  Enjoy the popcorn.  (...and no, I'm not gonna post another link to Pinkie or Discord or Spike or Rainbow Dash eating popcorn.)

Last edited by pvsage (2014-06-13 17:35:03)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#327 2014-06-13 17:24:48

linuxreign
#! Junkie

I have been away for quite some time, but back then and now, in my opinion, the Moderators are doing a great job,

LInuxReign

Linux Registered User 445731

#328 2014-06-13 21:42:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

I also think the moderators do an excellent job & I think it's important to keep the forums family-friendly and politics-free: you can always go & post on www.pointlesspolemic.com if that's what you want tongue

#329 2014-06-13 22:38:39

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

OK, so maybe the problem is that I've just lost my mind (that would explain all the pony posts lately) & as I told Ew when he was declaring war on us, this community is not oppressive, just a basic Socratic social contract. As such, & along the same lines as that rant, I choose of my own free will to be here, & have only the best interests of the community in mind.

That being said, if it's the will of the general community that I just shut up & drink the kool-aid, then so be it.

Last edited by #!_828 (2014-06-13 22:39:12)

Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

#330 2014-06-13 22:42:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

@#!_828 please don't think I'm asking you to shut up --- I really enjoy reading your posts it's just that political debates on a forum devoted to a GNU/Linux distro seem pretty pointless... hmm
After all, opinions are like arseholes: everyone's got one big_smile

#331 2014-06-13 23:26:15

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

^ I meant the "shut up & drink the kool-aid" bit in a more metaphorical sense. All I was saying by that is that if the rest of the community feels that things are just fine as they are, then I'll just accept that I've briefly lost my mind, drop all of this carrying-on, & continue about my business  smile

Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

#332 2014-06-14 05:39:44

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

After all, opinions are like noses: everyone's got one big_smile

...and they all smell.  Fixed it for ya. wink

#333 2014-06-15 12:12:05

hubbabubba

#!_828 wrote:

Sorry about the bit of a bump, but I've got, well, a bit of feedback.

Of course, it's been covered over with the veneer of a friendly "How can I help you?" smile, but as of the past two or three months, the general theme feels like it's shifted a bit from cooperation & protecting peaceful, civil dialogue within the community, towards trying to control the community, & openness be damned. In that sense, that cheerful smile with which the Moderators go about their duties has begun to morph into something like that of evil Pinkie Pie.

Without dragging you into anything. It's nice to see that you are able to see the pattern that built up to my declaration of "war". Which I quite frankly haven't done. I restrain myself to a comment now and then. It's the same kind of fake friendliness that finally got me to my edge. It's all about controlling the community, and a lot less about keeping the "friendliness", as they always use as a excuse. But you are right. Nobody has to be here. We are here out of our free will, and there are no possibility for the return of me in this community. When the developer demonstrated the same kind of fake friendliness and urge to control opinions, I decided to burn my bridges in a way that made it impossible for me to return. I had to do it that way, because if not, I would gradually have settled back into this screening of "silencing of the lambs", and that wouldn't have been good for me.

I'm not back and wont hazzle anyone. I just got an emailnotifications with your post, and couldn't resist a small comment. Anyways, it's nice to see that even if you play by the rules and are well adjusted into the herd, you still see that something is a bit off. I actually thought that I was the only one with the brain to detect it. Not that I'm all that smart, but to me it seemed that the rest of the herd had to be all that more stupid. But there are others who see it. You just stray away from making a big deal about it.

Well, happy Crunchbanging to all. I myself are more into the Soccer-WC at the moment, and have taken a break from linux all together. Go Argentina big_smile

Last edited by hubbabubba (2014-06-15 12:13:17)

#334 2014-06-15 12:23:15

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Hello hubbabubba, good to hear from you again.
I would say that in my case it's not so much of a "herd" as a "group of people all going the same way I wanted to go"; I like it here big_smile
It sounds like you wish to go a slightly different way...

#335 2014-06-15 18:21:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hubbabubba wrote:

I restrain myself to a comment now and then. It's the same kind of fake friendliness that finally got me to my edge.

I still find it puzzling that some people equate being civil with "fake friendliness".  Agreeing to disagree is not the same thing as "Happiness is Mandatory".

#336 2014-06-16 00:16:09

hubbabubba

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Hello hubbabubba, good to hear from you again.
I would say that in my case it's not so much of a "herd" as a "group of people all going the same way I wanted to go"; I like it here big_smile
It sounds like you wish to go a slightly different way...

As people might guess, I'm not what you would call a well socialized human being, and I don't consider myself as a member of any collective. Actually, on the contrary. I'm an individualist, and I'm always much more concerned about individual freedom, than the collective interest of any group. I'm able to adjust in a group setting, and I do fit together with all kinds of people and groups, but only as long as I have some kind of personal interest in doing so. Because, otherwise, I wouldn't bother...

So if you are looking for a group of people, all going the same way, then I'm clearly a misfit in any such group, as I rarely walk in the same direction as the majority. In my mind, where everyone is going in the same direction, the probability is that none of them know where they are going, except possibly the sheep with the bells on, leading them all in the wrong direction.

Diversity, different opinions, and people with all kinds of views, ideas and takes on everything, is healthy for any community, as long as the community has a interest of being something more than a community for people that like knitting together. Actually, the more people are arguing and disagreeing with each other and with the official direction, the better it is. It proves engagement and active minds thinking for themselves, instead of mindless followers...

The Crunchbang community might be a nice and family friendly hangout for people that needs that kind of belonging, to such a social group of like-minded people, but as a Linux-community, it's redundant.

Last edited by hubbabubba (2014-06-16 00:54:04)

#337 2014-06-16 00:50:27

hubbabubba

pvsage wrote:
hubbabubba wrote:

I restrain myself to a comment now and then. It's the same kind of fake friendliness that finally got me to my edge.

I still find it puzzling that some people equate being civil with "fake friendliness".  Agreeing to disagree is not the same thing as "Happiness is Mandatory".

And that's just an example of more fake friendliness. Being civil is just fine, but controlling a community by mods excessively intruding into threads, and excessively moving, deleting or locking post and threads, isn't civil at all. And when the mods do it with a smiley-face, it doesn't make it any better.

The less a forum see of the mods, the better job they are doing. When users find themselves debating with opponents that posess the "sherrif-star", it's both unfair and uncivil to begin with. It's highly unethical to participate in debates that you moderate. In the instant a mod enters a thread with his/hers opinions, then he/she should always disable themselves from the mod-role, in that thread, and that includes, contacting another mod or the mighty one to stop it for them. If a mod participates in a debate, he/she should do so, on equal terms with the other participants.

The worst thing is that the mods are often way off-topic in their own posts and threads, and then it becomes abuse to lock or move other peoples threads. Even worse is it that some people are being deleted and moved for being off-topic, IN THE OFF TOPIC-SECTION, while others can post shit about ponys, beers, diet and excersise. Actually, it's quite riddiculous....

I can respect rules, if everyone has to follow them. But in this forum, some come away with anything, and others are busted for nothing. Here are people that are rude, unfriendly, sarcastic and full of themselves, without ever being moderated at all. Actually, the 4-5 most despicable creatures in here seems to have been granted a free pass to behave like they want to.

It isn't all that transparent. They hide it quite cleverly  in the same fake friendliness, but hopefully you are able to detect a couple of them if you put your glasses on and watch carefully...

But anyway, Argentina won, and that's much more important. They didn't exactly impress me, but a win is a win smile

Last edited by hubbabubba (2014-06-16 00:56:04)

#338 2014-06-16 01:12:34

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hubbabubba wrote:

fake friendliness

You keep using that term...and once again you're going round in circles.

#339 2014-06-16 01:19:54

damo
#! gimpbanger

@hubbabubba

For some one who isn't participating in the forums, you seem to be quite active wink

Some of your complaints have some validity but there are ways of expressing them which makes things worse. Some observations from me...

The mods are volunteers
The mods are human, and on occasion they get things wrong or could handle an issue better
If they weren't proactive then these forums would quickly degenerate imo.
Some of the mods seem to have a hair-trigger response on occasion
Just because they have admin rights doesn't mean they can't participate in discussion, and step in if lines are crossed (Their house, their rules)
On the whole they do an excellent job, and I am very grateful for their work

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#340 2014-06-16 03:43:43

anonymous
The Mystery Member

hubbabubba wrote:

Diversity, different opinions, and people with all kinds of views, ideas and takes on everything, is healthy for any community

Agreed.

hubbabubba wrote:

Actually, the more people are arguing and disagreeing with each other and with the official direction, the better it is. It proves engagement and active minds thinking for themselves, instead of mindless followers...

I would say it depends. If you prescribe to an interactionists' view of conflict, then there is both good conflict and bad conflict. You also have to consider the amount of conflict. Too little can be bad but too much is also bad.

hubbabubba wrote:

The Crunchbang community might be a nice and family friendly hangout for people that needs that kind of belonging, to such a social group of like-minded people, but as a Linux-community, it's redundant.

Would you mind elaborating? To me the CrunchBang forums or community is self-describing. It's primarily for #! users though other users are just as welcome. Are there other Linux communities? Of course; there are many. Are they as nice or welcoming as this one? Some may be, some not.

hubbabubba wrote:

Being civil is just fine, but controlling a community by mods excessively intruding into threads, and excessively moving, deleting or locking post and threads, isn't civil at all.

How so? Also who is the one defining "excessively"?

hubbabubba wrote:

I can respect rules, if everyone has to follow them. But in this forum, some come away with anything, and others are busted for nothing. Here are people that are rude, unfriendly, sarcastic and full of themselves, without ever being moderated at all.

If this is true then report them and have some evidence to backup your claims.

hubbabubba wrote:

But anyway, Argentina won, and that's much more important.

[OT]Go Argentina! tongue[/OT]

#341 2014-07-11 15:50:50

bbrownkzo

All I can say is 'Kudos' to all the moderators that make these forums possible.  You truly do an excellent job of keeping us on topic.

#342 2014-08-26 03:01:19

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

[edit](even though i've been less active in the crunchbang community for the past year or two than i used to be (still use #! tho, like right now)... and seem to have missed much of whatever grief spurred things on a while back...)[/edit]

what a lovely idea for a thread.  smile  O:)
what a much nicer vibe it restores.   (or so i assume from reading half the first page)

ps,
trust is important for a community.  smile

Last edited by Digit (2014-08-26 03:05:06)

#343 2014-11-08 00:19:33

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

You don't want my feedback. Obviously.

#344 2014-11-08 02:04:30

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

No context is best context.

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#345 2014-11-08 07:41:40

ohnonot
...again

i like this thread. very much.

but i cannot see a list of moderators anywhere (other than those who choose to put it in their signature).

am i missing sth obvious?

#346 2014-11-08 08:02:34

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Nope! You're not missing anything obvious and it brings up a good point for us to try to make it easier to find. For right now, you can use the user list (towards the top of the page) and choose moderator or follow this link:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/userlist.p … rch=Submit

The current moderators are:

Unia
Sector11
pvsage
lcafiero
johnraff
chillicampari

#347 2014-11-08 09:18:53

vic
#! by Default

Thanks for the clarification.

Time to move on!#

#348 2014-11-08 09:52:37

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

You're welcome! smile

#349 2014-11-08 21:24:25

ohnonot
...again

well, since it clearly says "User List" in the menu bar, i'd say i did miss something obvious.
thanks for this, and for being more merciful with me than i myself am.  :8

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#350 2014-11-18 03:02:19

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
Website

This foum is just plain horrible.
Every letter hides a moderator waiting for a chance to get to you
while enforcing themselves everywhere ! ]:D

actually ; this is a nice forum when it comes to moderators and users.

~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

Board footer