SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 08:42:34

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

Quit smoking

So - at it again, anyone else here tried/succeeded at it?
Currently day 3 of "Cold Turkey" and the urges come and go - most difficult urges are the ones when there's alcohol involved.
Yesterday was sort of a raaaaaage day... Hopefully today will be better...

playtime's over - shit just got real

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-11-05 09:21:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Quit smoking

Been there, done that.  Lasted about two months last time.  In my current line of work (retail), dealing with holiday shoppers makes it harder.

#3 2014-11-05 09:36:52

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

I've tried a few times. Try to hang in there arcum.

#4 2014-11-05 09:41:51

Rocky
#! Member

Well done arcum. It gets easier over time but , for now,  think of the positive effects on your health as each day passes.

I quit 20 + years ago so it can be done

"All that glisters is not gold"

#5 2014-11-05 09:44:41

arnold

i gave up a few years ago. it is really hard. hang in there.

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the blue pill" -Me

#6 2014-11-05 10:14:08

damo
#! gimpbanger

I've been "clean" for just over 12 months, after about my 3rd serious attempt over the years. The answer for me is e-cigarettes - they may literally have been a lifesaver smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2014-11-05 12:42:04

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Just over 5 years ago a doctor looked at a chest x-ray and said, "Hmmmm, quit or ... ... ...".  The silence as he looked at me spoke volumes.  Took me all of 10 seconds to leave my package of cigarettes in his garbage can.  I couldn't exit the subway's steps without stopping at the top wheezing and hacking.  Destroyed most of my lungs and lung power - never will recover it all, but I feel better today and can double step up those steps today ... a bit winded at the top, but no need to stop because I can't breathe.  I had no problems, nothing. I guess the "scare" did it, must have made a pact with my mind in some way.  smile

My wife quit a few weeks after me, she was tense, anxious and had her moments ... but they got fewer and farther apart as time passed ... took a couple of years for her ... but now - a non issue.

Hang in there - it does get better and one day you'll notice even the smell of one will be "OH, smoke ... YUK!"

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#8 2014-11-05 14:01:48

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Well, I've never even smoked before, so yes, I've quit smoking already!  8o

Anywho, Hang in there arcum!

#9 2014-11-05 14:56:42

ratcheer
#! Junkie

I quit cold turkey. My personal "trick" was to keep an open pack of cigarettes in my front pocket at all times. I knew that if I had none and ran out and bought some, I would smoke them. So, I kept cigarettes available and it was "between me and them". I won.

Tim

#10 2014-11-05 15:24:42

xor
#! Die Hard

i did it ! it's just a matter of pure self-discipline. tongue
a serious disease which almost killed me (deep vein thrombosis followed by pulmonary embolism) made the decision for me.
so it's easy to quit when you HAVE TO quit...

EDIT: and yes, it was cold turkey for me, too.

Last edited by xor (2014-11-05 15:26:15)

#11 2014-11-05 15:40:00

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi there arcum,

Just wanted to +1 the attaboys and know how you feels.  I smoked for 10 years and got the lung x-ray from hell and even that didn't stop me. Then I had a daughter and didn't want her to grow up thinking smoking was OK. It took me a couple tries but I've been smoke-free for about ten years now.  It took almost all that time to stop being wistful every time I smelled one burning.

I found out recently that my dad (a lifelong smoker) has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Funnily enough, he finally managed to quit, when it no longer matters if he does or not. The human brain treats death as an abstract concept until you get an expiration date. Even with scary x-rays and not being able to get up a flight of stairs without taking a break, I didn't want to quit.

You can do it. Don't wait until it doesn't matter.

#12 2014-11-05 15:59:36

burritomike
#! Member

I quit in late 2008 after smoking a pack a day for ten years. I went cold-turkey. I've had smokes here and there but I haven't had one in a couple years so I think I'm probably completely done. It sucked, it was hard, and it sucked. But now that I'm free of those things I can say that it is 1000% worth it. You can do it and you should! That said, I still have dreams about smoking and when I have a few drinks (as others have mentioned) it is tough if others around are smoking.

Overall, though, quitting is hands down the best thing I ever did for myself. Stay strong!

Lazy harp seal has no job. Lazy harp seal has no money.

#13 2014-11-05 16:23:57

g33zr
#! Die Hard

I can't remember exactly when I quit smoking cigarettes, but I smoked an occasional cigar on weekends during my 40s. I smoked my last cigar (a birthday present) when I turned 50. There's nothing like a good Maduro after a fine meal and a cup of espresso and a cognac, but I haven't given in to the tempation after all these years.  O:)  ]:D

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#14 2014-11-05 22:52:04

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

big_smile thanks for the support guys! Nice to read how others deal/dealt with this... I've been smoking since I was 15 or something, next week I'll be 30...  I've quit before (that's the stupid thing) - we (my girlfriend -soon to be wedded wife- and me) decided that we were "ready" for babies, as ready as anyone can ever be wink and I thought, well what better way to improve our chances than to quit smoking... SO I quit... And it lasted for about 5 months... hmm So that's about a year ago from now, and my baby-girl is almost 8 months old atm & yeah she's the main reason why I want to quit. Also today was much better... Less urges, less anxiety, overall better. But I can't stand the sight of it ... yet. Probably the hardest part, standing next to a friend who's lighting up a cig...
Anywho I've started running again - great for releasing some of that anger inside & also a great way to experience what this "quitting smoking thing" actually does to your body.

#15 2014-11-05 23:19:40

TicTac
#! Junkie

You know all those Doctors telling you to stop smoking( for good reason )? Yep, most smoke. Recently retired er nurse here. Should I stop? YES but probably won't... Truth spoken.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#16 2014-11-06 00:12:00

lo2230

Hey guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been an on and off smoker for years, both tobacco and 'the good stuff'. Anyway, I have quit smoking cigarettes for months at a time before only to start again at the pub or for some random stupid reason.

I think the thing that's made quitting this time so easy is that it was a conscious choice. My auntie's lung cancer spread to her brain recently, and she's having to get an operation to cut part of her brain out.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, and encourage everyone to do what makes them feel good and happy. If a sudden (yet still sooner) death with cigarettes was the norm, I may still be a smoker. The thought of having a doc open up my head to cut out part of my brain - when I could have just stopped smoking a lot sooner - does it for me, though.

Obviously the damage has been done from a few years of heavy smoking. I just hope that as a 27 year old guy who's now quite healthy, some of it is repaired. And being a non-smoker is obviously by no means a guarantee that you won't have to go through brain surgery. I just would rather it didn't happen to me and will take all reasonable steps to stop it. Oh, and cancer runs in my Dad's side of the family anyway, so I guess I should just be behaving full-stop.

#17 2014-11-06 01:01:28

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Props to you guys who have managed to quit and those of you who are doing your best. I'm not a smoker, but I'll occasionally bum one or pick up a cheap pack of cigars when I'm drinking heavily. Particularly when liquor is involved. I haven't had hard liquor in months, though, so things are calming down. I can definitely see how drinking doesn't help, though. I'll chain smoke thoughtlessly if I have a pack or someone keeps offering. Yucky stuff. Then you have to feel it in the morning. In your chest. Ehh. As I said, VERY glad I never started. I've made enough bad decisions without those.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#18 2014-11-06 06:58:21

junkie
#! Junkie

Ugh, last time I quit I lasted two years. I quit cold turkey! It took a lot of candy and crying in the fetal position.
Damn pipe tobacco got me back.

Still a smoker... love my pipe, love my pack.
Damn, and I started drinking when I quit.

Good luck! Cold turkey is the right way!

#19 2014-11-06 07:35:43

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I see smoking and drinking as similar addictions, and while I don't put much stock in 12-step programs, I agree with them on one thing: there's no such thing as an ex-user, only a user in recovery.  Kudos to everyone in various stages of recovery.

I was planning to make another attempt at recovery as soon as I finish my current pack (I'm a light smoker, about two packs a week), and this thread might help me commit to that.

#20 2014-11-06 09:32:49

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I began smoking when I was very young.  The nicotine (stimulant) ended up causing me intestinal problems.  I quit and then started back up when I started high school, thinking I had outgrown the effects of nicotine...NOT!  The nicotine brought back the intestinal problems again and it took me quite a while to get over the problems.  I did quit smoking for good, though.

To this day, if I'm under a lot of stress, my intestinal problems will flair up again.  I don't think the nicotine brought the condition on, but only exasperated it.

@pvsage...while others may smoke more, I don't consider two packs a week to be a light smoker.  However, I know from experience how hard it is to quit.  For your health and financial sakes, please try to quit.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-06 09:56:00)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#21 2014-11-06 10:28:08

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

@pvsage talking about addictions - I've heard (and experienced it) that it's pretty easy to go from one addiction to the other, as a replacement addiction... The last time I tried quitting, my beer consumption went waaay up. Not that I was drunk everyday - but I drank everyday. Which isn't my normal booze pattern. So many traps...

Last edited by arcum (2014-11-06 10:28:27)

#22 2014-11-06 11:18:15

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Eeyup, I believe the term psychologists like to use is "addictive personality"; some people are just prone to indulgence in one substance/pastime or another, whether it's alcohol, nicotine, Oxycontin, gambling, or promiscuity.  Regardless of the addiction, there's always an associated bump in oxytocin from indulging, and some of us are especially susceptible to this.

@KrunchTime:  I hear ya.  Hopefully this last time will be the last time, and I'll be in permanent recovery. smile  As Hank Hill said, "You just gotta take it one day at a time, like the drunks do!"

#23 2014-11-06 14:42:20

g33zr
#! Die Hard

You guys...now you've got me reminiscing...with a certian tune stuck in my head...Sex & Drugs & Rock 'N Roll  yikes

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#24 2014-11-07 08:53:55

vic
#! by Default

Party/occasional smokers, you are that. Not non smokers. Quit five years ago due to *cough*cough*cough*. Very rarely I still miss it. No more *cough*cough*cough* though.  smile

Time to move on!#

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2014-11-07 09:33:06

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Agreed.

jdonaghy wrote:

Props to you guys who have managed to quit and those of you who are doing your best. I'm not a smoker, but I'll occasionally bum one or pick up a cheap pack of cigars when I'm drinking heavily. Particularly when liquor is involved. I haven't had hard liquor in months, though, so things are calming down. I can definitely see how drinking doesn't help, though. I'll chain smoke thoughtlessly if I have a pack or someone keeps offering. Yucky stuff. Then you have to feel it in the morning. In your chest. Ehh. As I said, VERY glad I never started. I've made enough bad decisions without those.

Sorry, jdonaghy, but you have actually given us a textbook definition of "user in denial".  Compare your post to this hypothetical:

I'm not a drinker, but I'll occasionally bum a drink or pick up a six-pack of cheep beer...I'll binge drink if I have a case or someone keeps offering...

First step to recovery is understanding and admitting that using a substance makes you a user.

I'm glad to be entering another recovery phase.  For me, the main discomfort from smoking - especially if I've smoked a couple more cigarettes than usual - isn't in the chest, it's a whole-body hangover that lasts most of the next day, and that no pain reliever can fight.

Board footer