SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 06:01:59

willobst

Which messenger do you use on #! and why this and no other?

Hi,
for about two years I haven't had the need to install a messenger - on my iPhone or Mac beside the Linux machines the job was completly done by iMessage.

Now there's a person I'd like to stay in touch with, who is using skype and nothing else. I read the threads about skype here (... I don't really like skype ...) and installed it including i386. Well, it works, but somehow it's not nice: No video support here on my machine, no nice layout etc.

So I tried the skype plugin for pidgin ... it did not work: I can create a skype account there, but there's no chance to place my password anywhere... maybe it's a bug?

Now I tried empathy... well, no skype support at all.

Please get me right - this thread should not be about "how to get skype" ... you know, I had it installed. I'd like to know, which messanger will please me on Linux machines, what you use and why.

Thank you smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-11-05 15:35:42

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Which messenger do you use on #! and why this and no other?

Facebook. Because everybody uses it, and it's accessible on everything, on all platforms  ]:D

#3 2014-11-05 16:08:07

TicTac
#! Junkie

Pidgin, because It connects to everything I need it to... It's simple and it simply just works.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#4 2014-11-05 16:23:50

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

I don't use messengers because as my mom told me, I have no friends but I'm wondering what you need. Are you going to try to get your friend to switch applications or are you looking for an app that will connect to Skype?

#5 2014-11-05 18:03:35

willobst

Well - I would like to find a good multimessanger on the one hand and a full featured Skype app on the other hand.

But I´m afraid there is no fully supported Skype available for debian based systems.

#6 2014-11-05 21:05:59

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

I use HexChat, but I don't think it's anything close to what you're looking for. Nothing fancy over here, just lightly-formatted text and file transfers. I use it because IRC is easy to script for, and because most of us have used it before.

Last edited by Different55 (2014-11-05 21:06:54)

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#7 2014-11-05 21:20:05

twoion

I use Weechat, an IRC client and Bitlbee, which is an IRC-to-Chat-Network bridge and let's you connect to Jabber, Google Talk, Facebook chat, Twitter, ICQ etc from within your IRC client. Quite cool. Weechat does run best in a terminal; a Qt-based GUI is available.

Last edited by twoion (2014-11-05 21:20:29)

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#8 2014-11-05 22:08:59

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

willobst wrote:

Well - I would like to find a good multimessanger on the one hand and a full featured Skype app on the other hand.

But I´m afraid there is no fully supported Skype available for debian based systems.

Not true.
http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/

#9 2014-11-06 00:03:31

josephg
#! CrunchBanger
Website

i have skype installed on debian stable, and everything works fine. far better than on my mobiles.
darn thing usually is a memory hog, and initiates lots of stealth network traffic.

leaner code is cleaner code is more efficient code

#10 2014-11-06 00:59:23

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

I use finch on my crunchbang netbook which is the terminal version of pidgin and do xmpp for doing facebook chat mostly to talk with my wife when im downstairs and she is upstairs.  Works for my needs other than it doesn't have sound notifications that im aware of.  Tryin to keep my netbook software as light as possible since its a atom CPU.

#11 2014-11-06 05:41:10

woodape
#! CrunchBanger

I use pidgin as well, love it, lots of support - including facebook messenger. Skype on Linux is not, and will never be, the same version as Skype on Windows. I remember a little while ago when they updated it looked better, but only because they're getting it closer to the still more modern Windows version.

willobst wrote:

So for (1) use Pidgin, it's great, supports tons of messenger protocols, (2) there are no standalone Skype clients other than Skype itself, none, it's very proprietary like that. Even Pidgin has to have Skype installed, logged in and running in order to pass messages through it. Sorta defeats the purpose a little bit. If you're having webcam issues, maybe consider upgrading your kernel to the one in wheezy-backports? You could just be missing some drivers.

Board footer