SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-06 02:55:58

Element

Black screen after upgrades and reboot

I'm an idiot, turns out that the update probably just screwed with my drivers a bit from the Xorg servers updating.

Any way to fix this black screen problem? Running on an AMD A4-3305M APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Last edited by Element (2014-09-06 05:00:36)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-09-06 23:12:07

ohnonot
...again

Re: Black screen after upgrades and reboot

hmm, this is a bit unclear.
did you solve it or not? if yes, please edit your first post and add [Solved] to the title. thanks.

#3 2014-09-07 00:32:56

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Black screen? Okay, I've seen this before. You're going to need to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers.
So first you reboot, then when you reach the grub, go select the recovery mode.

When you're there, execute the following command:

sh /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh

Once that is done, reboot:

reboot

and when you reboot, you should be back to your Crunchbang setup with the basic radeon drivers.

#4 2014-09-07 01:21:54

Element

CSCoder4ever wrote:

Black screen? Okay, I've seen this before. You're going to need to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers.

reboot

and when you reboot, you should be back to your Crunchbang setup with the basic radeon drivers.

Thanks it fixed the black screen problem, now my resolution is all basic and wonky, any way to get to my screens recommended resolution? Like installing the new AMD drivers and such? I can't remember how I did it when I first installed #!

#5 2014-09-07 01:27:22

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Element wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:

reboot

Thanks it fixed the black screen problem, now my resolution is all basic and wonky, any way to get to my screens recommended resolution? Like installing the new AMD drivers and such? I can't remember how I did it when I first installed #!

Okay then. Assuming you have the drivers downloaded and ready to run, as well as linux-headers installed*.

Start out by changing to the directory where the .run file is located at. Or even open up the location in thunar, right click and select "open terminal here"

Now do this:

sudo ./amd*-.run # or whatever the name of the file is ( tab is your friend! )

and it should be fairly straightforward from there.

* If you do not have the linux-headers installed, run the following:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2014-09-07 01:28:27)

#6 2014-09-07 01:57:40

Element

CSCoder4ever wrote:

Now do this:

sudo ./amd*-.run # or whatever the name of the file is ( tab is your friend! )

and it should be fairly straightforward from there.

* If you do not have the linux-headers installed, run the following:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Well it seems like the update deleted my archive manager, so I can't extract the .zip for the drivers.
Any easy way to install something like 7zip or a similar archive manager?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I forgot I could unzip it through the terminal without a archive manager, though it is still strange how I don't have one now and will have to fix it later on. But I got the drivers installing right now, and if everything works out I'll switch the title to solved!

Thanks for the time and help.

Last edited by Element (2014-09-07 02:08:07)

#7 2014-09-07 02:03:58

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

sudo apt-get install file-roller

#8 2014-09-07 02:31:42

Element

CSCoder4ever wrote:
sudo apt-get install file-roller

Well I've now run into a few problems.

After the installation GUI got done installing the drivers, it stated that there was an error during the installation, but it still stated it was completed.
I tried getting the install logs but it wouldn't open the file for some reason. I rebooted regardless hoping that nothing would go wrong and now when I get to the "Crunchbang 11 Waldorf" login text prompt, it stays there and allows me to log in. But only logs me into a  terminal instead of OpenBox.

I then tried "startx" in which it tried to start up but failed a connection to the servers.

I'm going to uninstall the drivers again and try and reinstall them. If something happens again I'll try my best to post the install logs.

[EDIT] I had to manually go to the install log file location to look up what happened because the installation failed again. These are the errors.

[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-14.10.1006.1001 with DKMS
[Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-14.10.1006.1001 from DKMS

Last edited by Element (2014-09-07 02:43:25)

#9 2014-09-07 03:11:22

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

How did you install radeon drivers out of curiosity? from the Debian nonfree repos or directly from AMD?

#10 2014-09-07 05:32:18

Element

CSCoder4ever wrote:

How did you install radeon drivers out of curiosity? from the Debian nonfree repos or directly from AMD?

I downloaded them directly from the AMD website under their "Latest AMD APU Drivers for Linux (32-bit & 64-bit)" section.

#11 2014-09-07 08:38:22

ohnonot
...again

it's usually best to install what is in the repos (i.e. what you can install with synaptic packet manager).

in post #8 you said several times that there were "some errors" - these error messages are your friends! they help you and us here to understand your problem and help you solve it.

fyi, the error messages you posted mean that the fglrx (it took me 3 attempts to write that. every time.) driver is not loaded early in the boot process. that in itself is not a big problem, but it suggests that there are more problems later on.

those log files follow a certain logic; usually you don't have to go through by hand, but grep what you need instead.
e.g.:

grep -i error /var/log/some.log.file
# Xorg log files use the markers (WW) for warnings and (EE) for errors:
grep -iE '(EE)|(WW)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#12 2014-09-07 14:27:03

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

out of curiosity, have you tried installing dkms?

ohnonot wrote:

it's usually best to install what is in the repos (i.e. what you can install with synaptic packet manager).

I disagree with that, The drivers in the Repos are too old.
Though in this case, that might be an exception, for this is a Llano chip, First gen APU.

but even so, I'd still try and install directly from AMD.

#13 2014-09-07 23:21:31

Element

CSCoder4ever wrote:

out of curiosity, have you tried installing dkms?

It says it's already installed, probably from when I first installed #! and updated the drivers with this Thread.

I'm going to try to see if I downloaded the wrong drivers from the AMD website, download the right ones if I did download the wrong ones, and try it out. Though I'm sure I did download the right ones lol.

[EDIT] Yeah still getting errors when trying to install the drivers, same ones too. But I believe I've found out whats causing the errors. Whenever I go to uninstall the drivers through the terminal, during the process it will say there is firmware missing on the radeon modules which is causing there to be an error with DKMS even during the uninstall.

How would I go about fixing this firmware issue if it is what's causing the drivers to not be installed properly? And if it's not the issue, then anybody got any leads on how to find out whats wrong?

Last edited by Element (2014-09-10 08:22:11)

Board footer