SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-25 17:21:29

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

wheezy iso with retrofitted backport kernel?

Due to the most unfortunate situation, I have been forced to own and use the new MacBook Pro 15", instead of my good-old-dead Dell XPS ... and boy, am I disappointed with OSX (although, this is first time I try it). Although new laptop has lots of computing power I need, I simply cannot work efficiently with this ... Therefore, the question is if I can install #!? The answer: it seems that usual way doesn't work, for the reason of too old kernel 3.2 which ships with wheezy. (Problems with SDD: errors during boot, #! cannot recognize it ...)

TL;DR:
1) installation of #! doesn't work since kernel 3.2 is too old
2) distributions with newer kernel (such as 3.14) works: VSIDO, anitx ... successfully installed, running alongside OSX (using 'refind')

(The wireless is also problematic, but can be solved by installation of broadcom-sta-dkms package.)

My question is: is it possible to (easily) modify (remaster?) original '#!-amd64.iso' to run/start with kernel 3.14 (backported in wheezy), instead of kernel 3.2 (default in wheezy)? Does anybody have any simple idea?

So far, I have tried to install backported kernel 3.14 using excellent Fiddling with the Waldorf iso ... for fun n profit! UPDATED!, but resulting iso wasn't bootable/installable: installation fails at 'Detect and mount CD-ROM' ... there is an error 'Error reading Release file'.

Also, I was thinking about using CD - sized ISO?, however, there still exists the problem with too old kernel 3.2, and I couldn't find debian installable iso with wheezy bpo kernels.

I even ended up reading about 'preseeding', but somehow it doesn't seem as a solution to my problems ...

At let me confess: after so much reading, I am a bit lost. :8

I am aware that I can use anitx and/or VSIDO (both very very nice and fine distros) and customize it to my liking, but I prefer debian-stable. Besides, I have invested a lot of time to adjust #! on my old/dead Dell to suit my needs ... Therefore, before I give up, I am eager to try some suggestions ... if somebody have any ... pritty please?

Last edited by iMBeCil (2014-07-25 17:24:19)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-07-25 18:02:56

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: wheezy iso with retrofitted backport kernel?

Have you seen Debootstrap?
You could "cross-debootstrap" from another operating system ---
you would probably have to use Jessie/Testing for the kernel & then crunchbangify it...
EDIT: you use PekWM, don't you? Try my Flat_Grey theme smile
EDIT 2: Sorry, not thinking; just use a Debian Jessie .iso big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-07-25 18:08:44)

#3 2014-07-25 20:26:24

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Thanks for the answer .... although, I was a bit 8) with you suggesting debootstrap ...

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you seen Debootstrap?
You could "cross-debootstrap" from another operating system ---
you would probably have to use Jessie/Testing for the kernel & then crunchbangify it...
EDIT: you use PekWM, don't you? Try my Flat_Grey theme smile
EDIT 2: Sorry, not thinking; just use a Debian Jessie .iso big_smile

Hm, if I use debian jessy, would the crunchbangifying work, ie is it - going from testing to stable - feasible or even possible? Isn't it a big no-no?

As for the PekWM theme ... yes I am the PekWM user ... and as soon as I install #! I will try your theme smile

#4 2014-07-25 20:30:42

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Apparently, Jessie will crunchbangify nicely (I've not tried it) but you're right about the downgrade bit --- definite prospect of borkage there... hmm
It's certainly possible though, and it's all I can think of.

#5 2014-07-25 20:34:41

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

I attempted this: install #! on USB (on macbook), with cunning plan to install bpo kernel and use remastersys to transfer updated #! from USB to macbook SDD. It can be done, but graphics is unusable (have to deploy 'nomodeset' and work in CLI), and with no WiFi. I tried to install wifi driver deb package (known to work with WiFi), but then I enter the dependencies hell ...

So, the main question stays: how to retrofit #! (wheezy) ISO with the newest backport kernel?

#6 2014-07-25 21:00:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

Yes it is relatively easy to remastersys crunchbang. I have a couple of iso's, each with my personal settings and applications - a Waldorf version and a Crunchbang/Testing version. So set up your system, with backports or whatever, and remaster it.

Which reminds me, I should upgrade my #!-Testing iso smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2014-07-26 03:13:20

twoion

iMBeCil wrote:

Hm, if I use debian jessy, would the crunchbangifying work, ie is it - going from testing to stable - feasible or even possible? Isn't it a big no-no?

It's not supported at all in dpkg, and if you are indeed using the _latest_ MBP with Linux, you want to use the absolutely newest and hottest packages and software you can possibly get. I don't even think I would use Debian in your place but a distro where it is known to be more popular to throw it on a Mac, since there are a lot of caveats and you'll need to rely on documentation to circumvent them.

Personally I'd probably use Arch because they have a) new software, b) quite a lot of people who reportedly use it on a Mac and c) forums which are open to the problems arising from such an undertaking, forums which have lots of experienced people and finally d) good documentation on the matter (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook). The Debian wiki has a page on MacBooks - did you see how horribly out of date it is?

And BTW, you won't probably be able to avoid systemd at all (it's in jessie now and you have to use it at least partially for most DEs) anyway, so the fact that Arch (and Fedora, the other well-supported distro I'd recommend) use systemd by default shouldn't turn you off...

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#8 2014-07-26 06:37:24

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

damo wrote:

Yes it is relatively easy to remastersys crunchbang. I have a couple of iso's, each with my personal settings and applications - a Waldorf version and a Crunchbang/Testing version. So set up your system, with backports or whatever, and remaster it.

Thanks damo for the soothing words smile

What do you use for remastering? Remastersys? Something else?

#9 2014-07-26 06:46:47

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

twoion wrote:

... if you are indeed using the _latest_ MBP with Linux, you want to use the absolutely newest and hottest packages and software you can possibly get. I don't even think I would use Debian in your place but a distro where it is known to be more popular to throw it on a Mac, since there are a lot of caveats and you'll need to rely on documentation to circumvent them.

Yes, I'm attempting to use the latest MBP (with linux).

Well, I sort of 'did my homework', and I did searched a web about linux on MBP beforehand ... And I found debian page, and yes I noticed how outdated it is yikes

I came across archlinux, too, and I agree with you that it might be easier to setup. However, being no expert with the computers (to be more precise: don't have too much time to fiddle with system), noting that the arch is not so stable compared to debian stable, and I need my linux OS laptop for actual work, I would prefer crunchbang (ie debian stable in the long run). Which is apparently possible, with bpo kernels.

Anyway, thanks twoion for your insight.

Board footer