SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-24 23:30:32

danieljames

Feels like finding linux all over again

Crunchbang caught my attention a few months ago when I was checking out what new distros there might be along the lines of puppy and xubuntu for a netbook I had saved from someone's unwanted electronica.  I only realised how much I appreciated the design involved in crunchbang when I found myself prefering the little netbook over all my other devices.

In a world of so many distractions and so much resource being lost to form and image  . . . Crunchbang comes as a cool breaze in summer.  So refreshing.

I jumped into gnu linux a little after Windows 98 was released.  I remember the trouble I had trying to get my serial port dial up modem working and spending hours upon hours pouring over the red hat linux bible.  Once even bought a version of red hat from a computer retailer over the phone which was posted to me as several cds in a lovely red box, just so I could ring someone up for some help.  I stumbled on Mandrake, then SUSE, and then Ubuntu came out . . . and had us all swooning.

This clean, dark little crunchbang has had me happy with computing in a way I only remeber feeling about my Apple IIe and Ubuntu's first release.

I am no one's expert.  I remember starting a little communtity group in my home town which rebuilt used pentium one and two computers and gave them to families who couldn't afford to buy technology for their kids, but it was the ongoing tech support that took the shine off that enterprise.  It's easy to put  a computer together for someone, but to run around everytime someone has an issue because no one has the internet to ask a question, is another thing all together.  I learnt a lot doing that but now, with technology like this around, most of the things that went wrong then, the difficulties with linux, just aren't issues anymore.  Never did learn to program.

Anyway, stoked to have found crunchbang.  hope I can contribute in some way.

Last edited by danieljames (2014-07-24 23:33:38)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-07-24 23:45:12

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: Feels like finding linux all over again

Hello danieljames, welcome to #!
A fascinating glimpse into the heritage of GNU/Linux; we have it much simpler these days... smile

#3 2014-07-25 01:25:01

linuxreign
#! Junkie

Welcome, we hope you enjoy your trip through #!land....

Have fun!

LR

#4 2014-07-25 01:28:51

danieljames

thank you

#5 2014-07-27 20:19:38

matcharles

Nice to meet you Dan! I really connect with your message, I feel the same! Hope you have a good time over here smile

#6 2014-07-28 13:25:16

dummie789
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks for posting such an excellent testimonial, danieljames!

Board footer