SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-28 08:17:29

Failing to compile a WiFi driver

# make

gives

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/build M=/home/arled/Linux modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

Indeed there's no directory named "build" in /lib/modules/3.2.0-4-amd64/

I have the latest kernel [3.2.0-4-amd64], the build-essential package, I have these installed

i   linux-headers-2.6-amd64         - Header files for Linux amd64 configuration
i   linux-headers-3.2.0-4-all       - All header files for Linux 3.2 (meta-packa
i   linux-headers-3.2.0-4-all-amd64 - All header files for Linux 3.2 (meta-packa
i   linux-headers-3.2.0-4-amd64     - Header files for Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64      
i A linux-headers-3.2.0-4-common    - Common header files for Linux 3.2.0-4     
i A linux-headers-3.2.0-4-common-rt - Common header files for Linux 3.2.0-4-rt  
i A linux-headers-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64  - Header files for Linux 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64   
i   linux-headers-amd64             - Header files for Linux amd64 configuration
i   linux-headers-rt-amd64          - Header files for Linux rt-amd64 configurat

Now......the WiFi works but without the property driver there is one issue that doesn't happen with it - the internet connection stops occasionally for up to two minutes. that's why I want to compile the driver

I'll add that this is very weird - it worked on this version of #! just two weeks ago. since then I've installed #! on an SSD from a USB.

Other than that nothing's changed...

This  is the stupid driver  mad

Last edited by 837183 (2014-06-28 08:19:37)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-06-29 05:48:48

ohnonot
...again

Re: Failing to compile a WiFi driver

this is all very unclear.
sounds like you're telling part 2 of a story nobody has heard part 1 of.

you can start with reading a sticky thread called "info to post for wireless problems" iirc. once you read that, things will probably become clearer for you and you can start troubleshooting your problem.

the first step is always to search the forums (also debian forums), and then the web, for related problems and solutions.

you're also confusing terms...
what you linked is a piece of hardware - a wireless card, not a driver.
what you also called a driver, i think you mean to compile a kernel? don't do it. a million things can go wrong.
now upgrading a kernel, that's a different thing and might indeed be a solution for certain wireless cards.
but if the same card was working on the same setup, i'd say not in your case.

well, as always: we need more information!

Last edited by ohnonot (2014-06-29 21:04:10)

#3 2014-06-29 07:49:32

ohnonot wrote:

this is all very unclear.
sounds like you're telling part 2 of a story nobody has heard part 1 of.

Ok, I get that my post is incoherent... smile

but

ohnonot wrote:

what you linked is a piece of hardware - a wireless card, not a driver.
what you also called a driver, i think you mean to compile a kernel? don't do it. a million things can go wrong.

I linked to the page where the driver can be downloaded from

screenshot

I'm not trying to update the kernel..

Last edited by 837183 (2014-06-29 07:50:14)

#4 2014-07-01 05:34:10

King_of_spirals

hmm well it sounds like your trying to build and install it yes?

usually a sudo or su should help? Not sure if this solves it but it sounds to me like this driver is written for a much older version of the linux kernel. If the device is working it sounds like it's included in the latest kernel, or there is a comparable driver.

use lspci in terminal and check the output. If your wireless is buggy it might help to know if it's being detected properly. Perhaps it's a hardware deal? looks like a small card...

*EDIT*
I just did some research and there are some known bugs among the ubuntu crowd that match the problem your having... Read it and weeeeeeep! I know debian and ubuntu are "different"... but
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1268833
On the last post some guy is like "omg why do people always break things?" can't say it's been resolved. lol.

They are saying there are issues with the newer kernels it seems like. Perhaps try a different kernel version yes? For instance try 3.11 or something close to it. and when you reinstalled crunch #!, try to remember if "anything" might of changed? Like a change from 32 bit kernel to a 64 bit kernel perhaps? But anything you can think of might explain it.

Last edited by King_of_spirals (2014-07-01 06:04:28)

#5 2014-07-01 06:21:40

King_of_spirals

Get the tools necessary to compile the driver:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic build-essential

Now we need to unload and block the original kernel modules/drivers from the Natty kernel. Otherwise they would destabilize the Realtek driver which we’re going to install:
    sudo rmmod rtl8192ce

To blacklist the original kernel drivers/modules, open gedit:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Now insert the following two lines at the end of the file:
    blacklist rtl8192ce
    blacklist rtlwifi

Finally, it’s time to compile and install the official Realtek driver. Change to the directory of the driver you downloaded before:
    cd rtl8192ce_*/
    Run the following commands in the order shown here:
    make clean
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    exit
    Reboot

To make sure you’re using the correct driver, run lspci -v and scroll down to your Realtek WiFi card. The line “Kernel driver in use” should read “rtl8192CE” (note the two capitals at the end), and you should have a new kernel module “r8192ce_pci” installed.

Perhaps this will help. OR maybe it's as simple as cd rtl8192ce/ ? then it MIGHT work.... wireless drivers... ahhh once upon a time. dude installed linux... the wireless didn't work so he had to learn... Every time how to install it manually. Good luck!

Source:
http://blogs.fsfe.org/stefan.a/2011/06/ … atty_1104/

Last edited by King_of_spirals (2014-07-01 06:43:01)

Board footer