SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-31 01:19:49

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Connecting a laptop to a TV

I have an Inspiron 9300 laptop that I need to hookup to a flat screen TV. It has an s-video port. I have Netflix installed on the laptop and want to connect the laptop to the TV so I can watch Netflix from the TV. Is this possible? What do I need? I know the TV has HDMI ports but do I only need to buy an S video cable?

Thanks for all the help!!

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-05-31 01:57:24

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Connecting a laptop to a TV

I would suggest a VGA- or DVI-to-HDMI cable. Then, you need to tell the notebook to actually use that additional screen by holding Fn + the corresponding key (should be F8 on your keyboard, according to Google).

I used that here, too, and it worked like a charm out of the box. I can't tell you if this will work for your particular laptop, but a quick searchs suggests so, although you have to keep in mind that your laptop display uses a much smaller resolution. That might look really bad, if your TV is too big.

#3 2014-05-31 05:20:11

Copper0
#! CrunchBanger

looking at the specs of your laptop, yup, all you need is a s-video cable. then settings->Display Settings -> ARandR and set how you want to use the new screen.

#4 2014-05-31 09:11:02

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Great! So all I need is an s video cable? No VGA cable or dvi to HDMI cable?

I have lubuntu 14.04 and mint 17 on the laptop. Sounds pretty easy. I want to make it as seamless as possible because the laptop will be used by my sister's 80 year old mother in law who wants to use Netflix.

Cheers Randy

#5 2014-05-31 13:48:09

Copper0
#! CrunchBanger

Oh wait, just noticed you didn't mention if the TV has an S-video input. IF it doesn't Menschenkind's suggestion id correct.  Either way you will also need a cable for audio. 

Instead of doing all the setup and taking the calls when something happens I would recommend something more like a Roku stick. Plug into an HDMI port and you get the remote to go with it.

#6 2014-05-31 13:58:26

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks! I'll see how it all shakes down. In the meantime I am really getting into some of the cool things you can do with Linux. rsync is for my needs, fantastic. I now use Crontab -e (I set geany as my default crontab editor) instead of relying on a GUI app.
I am finding out that the more I use the CLI, the more I want to use GUI solutions less and less.

There is one thing that is preventing me from going to Linux 100%. I still have to figure out how to use mpeg streamclip in Linux using WINE. This is my favorite video editor that I use all the time on my iMac. Much better than Avidemux. Once I get that working in Linux, that's it. Goodbye iMac. I know there is a video on Youtube regarding this, but I will see if there is anything more recent that I can follow.

Cheers Randy

#7 2014-05-31 19:36:39

Copper0
#! CrunchBanger

I haven't had to use it yet but Darling lets you run mac apps. It is still young but looks promising.

#8 2014-05-31 22:14:12

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Thanks for the Darling tip. I'll check in to it for sure! BTW, I was able to hook up the old Dell with a DVI-HDMI cable. Works great! I am using Mint 17. Very easy to set up.

Cheers Randy

#9 2014-05-31 22:28:05

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

Thumbs up! Did you use any programm like ArandR for further settings or did you simply change the output source via function keys? How was the quality of the image, did the resolution fit the TV, etc.?

#10 2014-05-31 22:31:45

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

Menschenkind wrote:

Thumbs up! Did you use any programm like ArandR for further settings or did you simply change the output source via function keys? How was the quality of the image, did the resolution fit the TV, etc.?

I used ArandR to set up both screens to full resolution. ArandR was all I needed.

The image was very good and looked great. Resolution was fine on both monitors.

Cheers Randy

Board footer