SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-27 04:56:06

#!padawan

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Greetings and Salutations!

I am somewhat new to the linux scene as a whole. I done tech support for T-Mobile (Tier III) and AT&T (Tier II) for awhile and got real into android phones. I learned to root and flash custom roms script kiddie style mostly running one-clicks from artine, chainfire, giantpune and many others on XDA. As I began to get a firmer grasp of what was going on underneath, I became obsessed with learning all I could about the android os. Everything I read pointed to a firm grasp of linux as a necessity to master the os, so I began trying to learn as much linux as possible. I found linux distros even more intriguing and began installing distros on any dinosaur PC I could get my grubby l'il hands on. After using multiple distros including -but not limited to- Ubuntu, Mint, Trisquel, Debian, Peppermint, Antix, Puppy, and DSL , I found crunchbang the most interesting and it offered great performance. I currently have it installed on my work netbook (Acer Aspire One 1.66ghz Atom 1GB Ram 2GB Swap) and it uses 2% of the CPU at idle and maybe 70mbs RAM, so I'm totally loving it. My first project in the community I want to complete is creating a headless server out of an old pc to host my collections of linux isos (or maybe seed them for torrent, not sure what's most functional/feasible yet) to run out of my home as a hobby project. As my skill set grows, I would like to begin contributing to the project in any way possible, maybe debugging or helping with documentation. I look forward to learning from my peers and eventually helping the community grow. Thanks for all the useful info I've already found in the forums and I look forward to meeting all of you.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-01-27 05:09:12

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Welcome #!padawan! Enjoy the incredible #! distro!

#3 2014-01-27 06:57:29

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Welcome!
Have fun with #!
May the Force be with you smile

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#4 2014-02-13 12:03:47

Alyosha

I'm new to Linux as well.  The reason I got in is because I just wanted my s#!t to work fast and do what I wanted, when I wanted it.  Crunchbang was my first try, and baby does it deliver:)  Maybe we'll be learning/contributing buddies.  Only time will tell.

-JD

#5 2014-02-16 00:35:48

#!padawan

nice to meet you, jd. great minds think alike. hopefully, we do become learning buddies. sometimes a problem is easiest to figure out with a new set of eyes. thanks for the warm welcome as well cscoder and nucleon. the supportive forums help make #! even more appealing. i haven't been told STFW or RTFM yet...  ]:D

#6 2014-02-16 00:40:10

damo
#! gimpbanger

#!padawan wrote:

....the supportive forums help make #! even more appealing. i haven't been told STFW or RTFM yet...  ]:D

No, most of us are a bit kinder than that! "RTM" should be sufficient big_smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#7 2014-02-16 00:43:29

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #!
Enjoy your stay

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1Slackware 14Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#8 2014-02-16 21:15:41

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

I guess it's a sign of how nice this forum is that I've never seen STFW before, much less know what it means... and having just googled it, I can say that most here are patient enough to give more of a polite and helpful nudge in the right direction of needed smile

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

Board footer